“Fancier that it costs”

Drury Plaza Hotel St. Louis at the Arch
Ranked #8 of 123 Hotels in Saint Louis
Reviewed 7 July 2014

When you read at the Arch it means AT THE ARCH. The hotel is literally next to it. Given that is like the only thing worth looking in St Louis as a tourist it is a great pick if you don't want to pay Hilton money.
The Hotel itself looks more fancy that the room priced suggested at first. Entering the building you can immediately see a small sculpture scene of the wild west, which might be gay for some people, but it sets the mood.
The rooms are quite alright, nothing much to them. Clean and normal, gives a good sleep. But what really made my stay memorable was the food. It seems that there is a hotel war going down because it would have been crazy otherwise to give away that much food and beverages for free. In Drury not only the breakfast is free but the dinner too.
I was surprised but also sceptical first. It turned out that the food wasn't tasteless or awful so it saved my afternoon as I wanted to wait for dinner but I was starving and couldn't find a fast food chain in walking distance.
They even give you three glasses of alcohol which can be beer, wine or cocktail. I have been in a few hotels before in the states but never seen something like this.
The breakfast on the other hand wasn't my taste.
They have a pool, but kids are allowed to dive so it isn't that much fun for adults and the two hot tubs are scorching hot. No one could dip into them. The exercise room is maybe smaller than average but still functional.

If you're in St Louis for the music, the three of the best music clubs are 5 minutes away from the hotel on Broadway so that's convenient too.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AdamAntal
Write a ReviewReviews (1,805)

Reviewed 6 July 2014

We really enjoyed our stay at The Drury Plaza at the Arch. The location is perfect for visiting the Arch and going to a Cardinals Game. The parking was a concern based on some previous reviews I read, but we had no issues. The hot breakfast is such a convenience when you have children. We didn't take advantage of the evening drinks and snacks because we were out enjoying the area. We had a suite on the street that was a little noisy. Overall, a very good experience and will return.

Room Tip: Our corner suite was great, but a little noisy from street traffic.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Bullfrog270
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Good average hotel, especially for families. Big buffet in the morning, although not your eggs benedict type, just regular scrambled eggs, etc. Also had popcorn going all afternoon in the lobby. Pool is indoor, and VERY noisy so not one you sit around and visit. But, the kids really liked it.

Lastly, I like a fitness room and although there was one, it was old machines next to the pool.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank dholy
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We were impressed when entering the lobby but after we got to our room and/or saw the pool we realized we were not in for an impressive stay. The toilets were a joke and didn't flush - we requested another room and had virtually same problem with that toilet. The maintenence man said all the toilets flushed the same way (weak). The pool was very dirty looking......even my children thought so and didn't want to swim in it. The room was very lackluster and was not clean, in my opinion. It was sort of run down looking and the carpet had definitely not been vacuumed. The table tops were not wiped down - I was very disappointed. The line for meals was insane and we were not going to wait in such a long line for free hot dogs and soda. I would not ever spend that type of money to stay there again. Other hotels as same price point offer much more and have higher standards.

3  Thank JCOKC7782
DruryHotels, General Manager at Drury Plaza Hotel St. Louis at the Arch, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback! It is through input from our guests that we have the opportunity to review, evaluate and improve our product and services.

We want to always exceed our guests' expectations. I am so sorry that we did not succeed during your stay! During any stay, please contact our guest services agent or manager on duty immediately upon encountering any situation that does not meet your expectation. We want to correct situations as they arise, while our guests are present, so that may go away with a positive and memorable experience. At this location, we have maintenance and housekeeping personnel available to handle any issues from 6 am until 11 pm most days. While we don't expect our guests to do our job, we may be able to correct an issue more promptly with a heads up.

Thanks again for being our guest.

Cherrie

Reviewed 4 July 2014

We have stayed at this hotel numerous times and it never disappoints. This recent time, I was able to enjoy the friendly folks at the steakhouse bar after a long drive from Atlanta. Loved the hot appetizer bar - another great thing when you are traveling all day. I had a housekeeping issue in my room that was significant, and the manager did not even flinch to comp my room and parking. Thingss happen, I will look forward to my next stay!

Room Tip: Articulate your needs to the front desk.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank mom3hethers
Reviewed 3 July 2014

LOCATION

The location of this hotel is top notch for those wanting to visit the Arch and go see a ballgame at Busch Stadium. It is about 1-2 block away from the Arch and 1-2 blocks away from the Ballpark village which is a nice collection of bars and restaurants around Busch Stadium. My favorite hotel in the area was the Millennium Hotel because of its location, but the Drury is the next best over the rest because of comfort, price, location, and cleanliness.

ROOM, PRICE, CLEANLINESS and COMFORT

The price of the room was about $126 (without tax and with my AAA discount). We a deluxe room with two (2) queen beds, fridge and microwave. The bathroom was very clean, the beds were very comfortable and the room was perfect for the one night we were in St. Louis.

A couple of things I did not like about the premises were:

1) check in can be messy. When you arrive you pull into the 10-15 minute area in front of the hotel which can get packed pretty quick. Also seems like some of those cars were there for more than 20 minutes with nobody in them and nobody else checking in at the hotel. This was annoying. Checking in took forever. Not sure if I had a new person but two other employees check in two people each before I got mine. Also, my request to have the A/C turned on and room cooled to 65 was not followed as I heard them call building services to turn it on right while I was checking in. Defeats the purpose at that point.

2) parking is around the block in a parking garage that is meant for golf carts. Very tight space and they will charge you for an extra space if your tire touches any part of the yellow line. Extremely difficult to park larger cars in this area. If you have a compact car, you will not have a problem. Full size cars and up will have major difficulty. Parking is expensive too...I believe it was $16.00 per night.

3) you need your room key for everything. It is needed to park your car in the garage. It is needed to get into the elevator and it is needed to get back into the garage after you check out. They don't tell you this so we had to wait for someone to come out before going in since we checked out and left the keys in the room and was unable to get to the garage elevator because a key was needed.

4) the A/C only went down to 65 degrees, but did not seem like a real "65" degrees. Even though it showed "65" it was more like 67 degrees. If you want the A/C to run longer you have to put a heat source (like a lamp) near the sensor so the A/C thinks the room is hotter than it is and will pump more cold air.

BREAKFAST and OTHER AMENITIES

Breakfast was included in our room price but we never got up for it. So I am sorry to say I cannot give a review on the breakfast, but can tell you that the people were nice and the bill was under the door the following morning. There was also food served at night, free drinks for happy hour, and free popcorn until 11pm. Unfortunately, we were not around to enjoy any of them, but nonetheless they were there and a positive to the place.

The price of the room was ok, but when you add in parking and taxes the rate comes out to be a little too high, although comparable to what other hotels in the area are charging. The location cannot be beat...very close to the Arch and the ballpark which are the two main things to do in that part of St. Louis. After parking the car we never needed it again until we left the hotel at checkout. If I was going back to St. Louis I would stay here again.

2  Thank No_Roaches_Please

Thank you for taking the time to complete this review on TripAdvisor! It is through input from our guests that we have the opportunity to review, evaluate and improve our product and services.

We want to always exceed our guests' expectation. I am so sorry that we did not succeed during your stay! During any stay, please contact our guest services agent or manager on duty immediately upon encountering any situation that does not meet your expectation. We want to correct situations as they arise, while our guests are present, so that may go away with a positive and memorable experience. At this location, we have maintenance and housekeeping personnel available to handle any issues from 6 am until 11 pm most days. While we don't expect our guests to do our job, we may be able to correct an issue more promptly with a heads up.

The check-in process in any downtown hotel where the building is at street-surface level is a challenge. We have security and hotel personnel checking this area frequently to try to maintain some semblance of order. However, we know that one single vehicle which is not in the best location or moved as promptly as we'd like will often create a challenge, especially for guests who are unaccustomed to city driving. In addition, due to the historic nature of the buildings, our parking is very limited and not as spacious as we would have built had this been a new construction building. However, it is consistent or similar with other downtown hotels in St. Louis in size, structure and cost. We do have other Drury locations in the downtown area where parking is a little more spacious: Drury Inn & Suites - Convention Center, Drury Inn - Union Station and Pear Tree Inn by Drury - near Union Station. Of course, our suburban locations have large surface lots with ample parking for oversize vehicles.

The use of room key cards for entry to the more public spaces of our building is a keystone of our overall building security. Most guests find this reassuring. We apologize that it was an inconvenience for you.

We appreciate having you as our guest and hope you'll choose to stay with us again. Thank you for staying and for your loyalty to the Drury family of hotels!

Best regards,
Cherrie

Reviewed 3 July 2014

I stayed in the hotel for one Friday night, in town with my daughter to tour Washington University. The location is fantastic, except when there are big events at the stadium (it's right next to the hotel). There were tons of people checking in at the same time and you can't park until you check in, so we had to circle the hotel several times before we could double park to check in. Then we parked half a block away. Hotel was nice, it really is a 2 minute walk to the base of the arch, although that area is under heavy construction. I had a weird interior room with no windows, there was an interior hallway on both sides of my room, that was weird. But the room was quiet, and strangely without a window to the outside I got a fantastic night's sleep.

Room Tip: Try to avoid the interior rooms with no windows, it's weird.