“Top rank”

Drury Plaza Hotel St. Louis at the Arch
Ranked #9 of 121 Hotels in Saint Louis
Reviewed 14 September 2009

This was such a wonderful surprise. My friend and I came to St. Louis for the weekend to go the Cardinal baseball game. It is only about a block or so from the hotel to the ball park and the parking garage is right across the street. You could not ask for a better hotel in St. Louis. The place was very clean, very friendly staff, wonderful room (with refrigerator and microwave) the best free breakfast I have ever seen. The pool and two hot tubs were fantastic. The location is close to the Landing, gambling entertainment and restaurants. The Arch is just about a two block walk. You are close to the highway enough that you can just hop on and be at the zoo, science center, Bush tour and several other attractions easily and quickly. I rate this hotel very high and I think it is perfect for a family, young couples, the senior crowd and everyone in between. You will not be disapointed. If anything you will be pleasantly surprise at the quality of this hote.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank kreeves2

Reviewed 6 September 2009

The only thing that wasn't perfect was access to the parking garage. Because some of the rooms are in an addition, we had to do an elevator transfer to get to the car. BUT, Staff was friendly and helpful, room and public areas inviting, and the pancakes at the free hot breakfast were very light and fluffy.

1  Thank FairlyEasyGoing
Reviewed 19 August 2009

My family of four (kids aged 2 and 10 1/2) stayed here twice in the course of two weeks because we enjoyed our experience at this particular Drury Hotel so much. We had never stayed at any Drury Inn's in the past because we enjoy Hyatt Place hotels so much but I'm glad we made the choice to choose Drury instead.

First off, I was hesitant to book a hotel that I hadn't heard of before. Secondly, I felt that Drury's website wasn't as polished as other sites and I was worried that would be an initial indicator of the type of hotel Drury really was. And lastly, the thumbnail photo for this property featured on TripAdvisor looked pretty bleek. But let me say that I am glad I didn't judge this book by its cover.

During both stays, we booked a two room suite with two queen beds (yes, truly queen beds, not fulls). This was an excellent idea. Our first room was room 761 and was much larger in all aspects than our second room for our second stay (room 861). The reason for this is that room 861 is located on the same floor with the pool and fitness center and so the layout of this floor is a little different than the other floors.

With that being said, check-in was courteous, prompt, friendly, and professional. Parking is $15 and this is a steal for the area. We have stayed at St. Louis Union Station Marriott and Hilton St. Louis at the Ballpark in the past and parking was cheaper and more convenient than either of the other two. Parking is located in an attached parking garage with an elevator going straight to the hotel room floors. True there is no valet, but I'd rather save the extra $10 and have the ability to retrieve the inevitable bag I left in my car.

And before I go any further, it must be said that all employees I passed in the hallway or in the lobby all said hello and asked how I was. Every. single. one. And not only that, they smiled! I felt extremely welcome by everyone! During our first stay, I was pushing my daughter in her stroller and trying to carry my breakfast tray from their amazing breakfast area to my table and I was having a little trouble. An employee approached me and asked if she could carry my tray for me! On our second stay, my two year old was having a tantrum at breakfast and wouldn't sit still in her stroller or on my lap. I felt embarrassed by the gawking onlookers and just wanted to melt. Just then, an employee came up to my table with a high chair and asked if she could put it at the table for me! Their service is second to none.

As for the room: clean, clean, clean. No mold, no mildew smell, polished, and dusted. The bedding was crisp and fresh; the towels were bright white and bleached. The LCD HDTV's in both rooms of our suite were fantastic. There were well over 50 channels and those included Nick, Disney, ESPN, HGTV, and HBO so we were all pleased (all channels in HD, too). The air conditioner adjusted quickly, and the refrigerator was super cold. The room has a microwave, too, but we didn't use it. Although we did partake in the free one hour's worth of long distance from our room. It was a great opportunity to call grandparents and check-in with neighbors and friends. We asked to be provided with a crib and I was pleased with what we received. It was an actual crib (not a pack-and-play) and they provided the linens (although I did bring ours so our daughter got to have a particularly plush bed).

The lobby was complete with a player piano, plenty of ample seating at marble topped tables, upholstered chairs, and plenty of larger LCD HDTV's. There is free popcorn and free fountain drinks available all day. And the manager's reception was phenomenal. Upon check-in, my husband and I each received a card good for three free adult beverages. They had a selection of wines, mixed drinks, liquor, and beer (Bud Light on tap). You were also allowed to get all three of your free drinks at the same time, too. Beverage service goes from 5:30p-7p and I would suggest getting there a smidge before 5:30p or maybe waiting a bit. We showed up right at 5:30p and were second in line. Right afterward, the line backed up quite a bit and there was only one hardworking employee working behind the bar. The second stay, we showed up at 6:20p and there was no one in line. There are also light snacks provided, too (pretzels, carrot sticks, and nachos with salsa and cheese).

Max and Irma's, one of the two restaurants located in the lobby, were excellent for our kids. They were right on par with Applebee's and their service was excellent, too. Tammy was an awesome server but right from the get-go, the person who seated us brought our kids gummy worms so the kids were happy (and so were we). There is an upscale steakhouse in the hotel lobby, too, but I did not go. My husband did, though, and went to their bar and had some drinks. He said it was a very enjoyable experience.

The pool is large with a large stock of towels and places to sit. Both my kids had a blast at the pool. There are two hot tubs that we didn't use but not because of cleanliness. They both appeared clean but were both full of people. I used the fitness center to get my running in on their treadmill and I was a little nervous. I was going to choose staying at the Westin for their fitness center but their lack of pool kept me from making that choice. Either way, I'm glad I didn't. The Drury has professional, high end health club quality machines. I remember three treadmills, a recumbent bike, and two elliptical machines.

Breakfast fare included scrambled eggs, freshly made pancakes, biscuits, gravy, shredded cheddar cheese, salsa, cereal, yogurt, pastry, and milk and juice. I am grateful for the lack of the community waffle maker, too. I always dislike those things and the long lines that accompany them. Having a chef make fresh pancakes was much better. The coffee was divine! I am a Starbucks-aholic and their coffee is fantastic. I didn't feel the need to track down the nearest Starbucks at all. Plus, I'm glad I didn't haven't to shell out the $4. We were all satisfied with the hot breakfast. The only other better breakfast I've had is at the Embassy Suites.

And lastly, the hotel's location can't be beat. It is right off I-55 and across the street from the arch. There is a small park with green area directly across from the hotel which was lovely for laying out and letting the kids run and play.

We would most certainly stay here again, and I look forward to it. I am thoroughly impressed with every detail of this Drury Inn as they made all four of us comfortable and happy. I have no doubts that you will have a similar experience here, too.

Oh, on a side note, the internet is really free. There aren't any fancy passwords you need to get. They provide a cable if you don't have a wireless card but wireless pops up effortlessly. Enjoy!!

7  Thank brunettemama
Reviewed 15 August 2009

This hotel was great right from check-in! We were able to check in about an hour early which was nice. On site parking is an extra $15 per night, but the parking ramp is secure and convenient, so it was worth it especially in humid August weather. The entire staff was extremely polite anytime we had contact with them. The hotel was very clean. The breakfast wasn't outstanding, but it wasn't bad at all considering it was included. Complimentary soft drinks, popcorn/snacks, and three drinks (beer, wine, limited mixed drinks) per adult every evening was great too! The rooms weren't huge but good sized for what they are----a place to sleep/rest while on the road. The hotel's location was real close to many downtown places so it was easy to walk to many attractions. We would certainly stay here again.

4  Thank ultraglider
Reviewed 10 August 2009

Great hotel stay. Complimentary drinks and popcorn in the afternoon. Nice sports bar type restaurant in the hotel. Hotel is in walking distance of great sites: baseball stadium is near by, it is RIGHT next to the St. Louis Arch and the Mississippi River, and it is also within walking distance of some shopping (I needed something to wear for a meeting, and thankfully there was a Macy's down the street!!).

Check in was smooth. I had requested a non-smoking room and they accidentally put me in a smoking room, but the front desk was very friendly and fixed the problem right away. The room was clean and a very big size.

Overall, great stay and would come back again!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
5  Thank WashingtonDCgirl2
Reviewed 8 August 2009

We (my family) have stayed here several times. The physical facility is first class, from the lobby to the rooms to the enclosed indoor parking garage. They have a free happy hour during which you can eat popcorn, chips and salsa, veggies and dip, and a few other goodies, and you get 3 free drinks (beer, wine, or mixed drinks). Admittedly, they are small and come in plastic cups, but they are free. The atmosphere is friendly and cozy. Free wireless internet is GREATLY appreciated. Breakfast is hot and free and decent. Rooms are nice, TVs are nice, location is good (about 150 yards from the Arch). I wish this hotel had lower prices sometimes, but it is probably worth it. They even gave me a free bottle of milk for my 2 year old daughter at 10 p.m. (due to poor planning on my part).

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank jpap10
Reviewed 2 August 2009

We stopped in here after checking out the Millenium- which was way overpriced. The interior of the hotel is the nicest of any hotels i have seen before. the elevators are only accessible by room key and the garage is the same way. the garage is not free to park in though and has very tight spaces- i hit a pole in a new, rented minivan! there is an on-site restaurant as well as free hot breakfast in the morning, which was great. they have free soda (when the machine is turned on) and the rooms are very nice. pretty and clean. we had a view of part of the arch and an old courthouse. only complaints- didn't seem to be enough room to put luggage and their pool was indoors- would have been even better with a roof-top view of the arch. free shuttle service to local casino and every person on staff was nice and courteous, especially one gentleman who gave us directions to multiple attractions in the area. they have security always on staff, so that makes you feel extra safe. would stay again!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family