“Best ribs while in STL”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout
Tempe, Az
“Best ribs while in STL”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

We ventured off the beaten path to Roper's. This is a small establishment, maybe 3-4 tables, seemed like most locals take out. The staff was very friendly, the owner came out and chatted a bit. They explained and offered suggestions which is always nice. We had the St. Louis ribs (they were out of baby back), pulled chicken, fried shrimp (favorite) and sausage. Everything was very good! I'm going to give some negative marks and then I'll continue praising...the ribs were a tad cold, this really bummed me out, everything else was steaming hot. The sides were small, considering we ordered their family size meal. This wasn't a cheap meal either, so the small factor was a major disappointment. Back to my praising: the sauce was amazing, the fried shrimp was probably the best I've ever had. Crispy breading, not greasy, not overbearing, large shrimp. They were lauding the shrimp and it didn't disappoint. The peach cobbler was fresh and hot, they need to offer a-la-mode. The service, as mentioned was great. 5 star worthy restaurant, only needs some kitchen tweaking. This was the best BBQ on my 2 week vacation and we tried about 6 different restaurants between Houston and St. Louis.

• Visited June 2014

Dallas, Texas
“Pulled pork!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

I went to college in Saint Louis but am a native TEXAN... So i kow my bbq, Trust me...this place has the absolutely best pulled pork in the midwest!!! The meat is moist salty and sweet. Im from a place where we dont use much bbq sauce and Lord knows you will not need any here. You also will want to try the chicken. It is MOIST beyond belief! Everytime i go to STL i go here!!! #kulinaryking

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank KULINARYKING
“Awesome food and staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

Doing a Rt. 66 road trip and detoured here for barbecue and it was well worth the trip. Brisket and chicken amazing and the staff were so lovely and helpful to tired travelers.

• Visited May 2014
Hillsboro, Oregon
“St. Louis Ribs!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2013

I learned a lot about ribs during our trip. The big names in the business like pappy's and brewhouse (or something like that) are owned by the same people. Those ribs are memphis ribs and dry rub. Ropers is true original st. louis ribs. They are delicious! They fall right off the bone and tender and downright scrumptious. We go to talk to the owner Dale. He was funny, really personable and quite informative. HIs wife runs the counter. There are about 5/6 tables so there's not much space. We went there on a sunday right when they opened at 11 or 12. There was no one there. The area was somewhat questionable and there is no parking so we parked in an empty lot behind the restaurant. But still regardless of all that.. it's totally worth it and the prices are great as well. If I end up in st. louis again we'd be going for another visit! Besides if not for all that.. support local mom and pops versus chains..

Visited December 2013
4 Thank EvaLady
Drummonds, Tennessee, United States
“Best in the Gateway City”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

Who has the best BBQ, Houston, Memphis or Kansas City...that is the question? Well, through St. Louis in the mix, in particular Roper's BBQ. My wife and I traveled to St. Louis for a long weekend getaway from our home town of Memphis and we had to try some BBQ. We heard that Roper's is one of the best in St. Louis, so we had to see (taste) for ourselves. Awesome! Just the right amount of smoke, spice and sweet. Ribs were tender and fall off the bone. I've had BBQ in all of the 3 places mentioned above, and when I travel there, I have my favorites...I'm adding St. Louis and Roper's as my favorite in the Gateway City.

• Visited October 2013