“Vietnamese cuisine deftly prepared”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Banh Mi So

Banh Mi So
Ranked #746 of 2,880 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Cuisines: Asian, Vietnamese
Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
O FALLON, ILLINOIS
“Vietnamese cuisine deftly prepared”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

The flavors dance on your tongue! Banh Mi So #1-Saigon Gourmet has been on the STL food scene for twenty years, and the quality of the food has only improved with time. Farm-fresh and high-quality ingredients are prepared simply but oh-so-well to create layers of flavor and texture in a true celebration of Vietnamese cuisine at this hidden gem of a restaurant. And yes, the Vietnamese spring rolls are divinely delicious; try the special grilled marinated pork if it’s available and the chicken or shrimp spring rolls are worthy choices, too. The Bahn Mi sandwiches are fabulous—my husband indulged in the Banh Mi Dat Biet (Signature Triple Crown pork sandwich with seasoned pork, specialty ham, pork slices, and pate) while I enjoyed the Banh Mi Xiu Mai (Signature pork meatball sandwich). And, yes, it is worth the extra $1.50 to double up on the meat! The Soups are also wonderful, my husband and I shared the special Spicy Beef Soup that was on the daily specials board and we were not disappointed by the pops of hot, sour, salty, and sweet flavors that are layered throughout the bowl.
Don’t be afraid to try anything on the menu – your mouth and stomach will thank you when you’ve enjoyed the variety.

• Visited March 2014

“fresh vietnamese cooking”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

My wife and I had dinner here tonight (Dec. 31) with our son who was visiting from NY. (He had been here before, his recommendation). Not fancy decor, but very good food. The preparation for the dishes was explained to us - they grown there own herbs and make their spring roll dipping sauce (we bought a bottle). Enjoyed it a lot, will definitely be back. They have expanded some since there earlier days. I wish we had discovered the restaurant earlier. Typical entree is around $9 - $10. Very friendly owners.

• Visited December 2013
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Really good spring rolls!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2013

Everyone else has said it, so I will too: "The spring rolls are really good!" Now with that out of the way; the place is really small. I didn't like the restroom opening right into the dining room! I placed my order through a window like a drive-thru! I had the spring rolls and a banh mi sandwich. The sandwich was small, but tasty. It's more like an appetizer than a meal. Even though there was only one other couple in the restaurant, I felt rushed, like I was preventing them from closing at 6:30pm!

The owners are well known in the restaurant world. If they ever move to a larger, updated location and get some kitchen operations savvy they will be a place to return to!

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank LC95
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Banh Mi So South Grand Avenue ST. LOUIS MO”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2012

The spring rollls with fried mung bean are addictive. The pork banh mi sandwich is on bread that is so good that they could load it with anything and it would a triumph. But you can have pork, smoked beef or veggie, too.This out of the way tiny spot on very south Grand
is family operated and uses only the freshest ingredients. We also loved the rice, pork and mushroom crepe and had room for a seafood soup. We had a second order of spring rolls for desert. That about says it right there!!

• Visited December 2012
Little Rock, AR
“Expect a wait - but it's probably worthwhile.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2011

My husband and I are Bahn Mi junkies, but where we're from there's really no local place making them. As such, every time we travel we try to find the best bahn mi. We ended up at this place based on the Yelp reviews and they were spot on. It's a small family run restaurant. There's definitely no more than three people working, so expect a wait for service and food. On the night we went, we first requested a highly recommended appetized and were told "she wouldn't be making those tonight." Okay...it's a small place, we understood. Then we ordered our bahn mi, but were told by the waiter that we should really try the meatball one as that's best for beginners. Nevermind it wasn't what we wanted, but we couldn't seem to change his mind. Although they were not the bahn mi we were looking for, they were very delicious (but small in comparison to most I've had.) Very fresh and tasty. We didn't try anything else, but the food on the other patron's tables all looked good. True to form, the owner (and father) personally wished us a warm goodbye. Overall it was pretty good. I'd get something other than the bahn mi (or plan on splitting it as an appetizer) and I would only go when leisure was an option, but it's well worth a try and they're a very sweet family.

• Visited May 2011