“Pricey but decent.”
Review of Al's Restaurant

Al's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Al's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,297 of 2,888 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Price range: US$32 - US$80
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Riverfront
Cross street: Biddle
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Pricey but decent.”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

The food is decent and sometimes it can be good. The problem is the prices are too high for what you actually get on the plate and service is spotty.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Matthew T

Atlantic Beach
“In the old warehouse district, good but pricy”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Went for a fine dining experience. Nothing much around it, so drive or take a cab. Does not look like much on the outside, but is nice on the inside. There is no menu to look at and the prices are high, but the food is good and service is impeccable. For a fine dining experience like an anniversary etc. it's a good option and it was close to our hotel. The decoration inside is pleasant. We had a good time.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank WorldTravelers2000
Louisville, Kentucky
“Simply awful”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

This was one of the poorest dining experiences I have ever had. The environment was unwelcoming and not at all friendly. . The vaunted service we had heard so much about seemed to be reserved for the others in the room. The serving concept was certainly different with one head waiter, an assistant waiter and two others working the entire room. The waiters wore tuxedos and seemed extremely snobbish and frankly didn't seem willing to wait on our party. The head waiter was more than happy to spend his time at other tables. We had to wait 20 minutes to receive the wine and 45 minutes to receive appetizers. We could not get anyone to refill our drinks except for the water as the assistants seemed like the only ones on the ball. So after an hour in we still had not seen a menu, which as I understand was a display cart of the entrees available that day. Several parties that came in after us received drinks, appetizers and placed their dinner order. The waiters seemed totally unfazed when we expressed our dissatisfaction and made no attempt to try to make the situation better. There did not seem to be a manager on premises to discuss the situation. We left shortly after.

• Visited June 2014
9 Thank michael t
“Terrible overall experience”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

It was simply awful. From the service to the food quality, completely unacceptable. It took the servers 1 hour to ask us what we wanted to drink (other than the water,because they will literally drown you in that) and if we wanted any appetizers. It wasn't a very welcoming environment whatsoever and the whole experience was extremely strange. We ordered the combination appetizer and everything tasted and looked like it had been frozen. It was a big letdown but that's just what happens sometimes. I wouldn't reccomend this restaurant to anyone. Absolutely terrible.

• Visited June 2014
5 Thank Andrew D
Saint Louis, Missouri
“The Best Dining Experience I've Ever Had”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I hadn't dined here in several years, so I thought I'd take the wife here for our 37th Wedding Anniversary. I must warn you, when you pull up outside, you may be taken aback by the exterior of the building, as well as it's proximity to the Railroad Tracks (50 ft away). Don't be alarmed, when you're in the same location for 87 years, things around you tend to change. I recommend the valet parking, as the area appears to be somewhat blighted, and rundown. Actually, the closest building is quite a distance from Al's. When we stepped inside and announced our arrival, we were taken directly to our table. Within a minute or so, we were provided a glass of water, and our waiter gave us his name (which I wish I had written down), and asked us if we'd like a drink. We ordered appetizers, and decide to share 2 different appetizers. The first was the crab meat stuffed mushrooms. The 2nd was a combination of butterfly shrimp, batter dipped, Beef Tenderloin tip, and Toasted Ravioli. Each of these were superb, the toasted ravioli was covered in a tomato/meat sauce that was heavenly. The Beef Tenderloin tip was drenched in the best barbecue sauce i have ever tasted. The shrimp had a crunch to it that was so good, i've never experienced anything quite like it. We ordered Filets from the large selection of various entrees offered. My wife got the 8 ounce, butterflied, and stuffed with Mozzarella and Prosciutto, then breaded, and pan fried. I got the filet, traditionally prepared, and served rare. Oh, it was the best 12 ounces of beef i've ever had, cooked to perfection. To top the whole thing off, our waiter brought us a large slice of the best chocolate cake i've ever had. We were so full, we could only finish half of it. We asked our waiter to package the rest, and the next day, when my wife opened the container, there was our half slice, and another piece of cake as well. Wow, you don't find places like this around anymore. It's definitely a one of a kind place, and we'll be back to enjoy another meal long before our next anniversary.

Kudos to our waiter, I wish I had remembered his name, he made the whole experience unforgettable.

• Visited May 2014