“Something you have to do!!”

Jefferson National Expansion Memorial Park
Reviewed 3 July 2014

My husband had been trying to get me up to the top of the Arch for 34 Years! Well my nephew talked me into it last weekend! If you don't like elevators, cramped spaces, or heights you better just enjoy the Museum and the views from below!! I never get tired of looking at the Arch!

1  Thank Claricems

Reviewed 29 June 2014

I'd been to the Arch as a little girl and now I promised to take my niece up. We had been to St. Louis three times prior to this visit and each time the long lines for tickets or security prohibited us from going up. This time, I did what was recommended...I purchased my tickets on line. We stayed at the Embassy Suites Hotel so it was an easy walk to the Arch. The experience of going up in the Arch hasn't changed since I was a child. The system is time sensitive. You purchase tickets for the time you want to go up. Since we had ours in hand and got through security quickly, we were able to go up a bit earlier. Not sure if that always happens. You are given an elevator number that you will ride up in. The elevators are the shape of an egg and only hold 5 people each. There are 8 elevators so only 40 people go up at a time. There is a set of elevators in each tower so basically 80 people at a time. Now I know why the lines were so long when we came before. The ride takes about 4 minutes up and 3 minutes down. A little small of a ride but it goes quickly. Once at the top you are literally walking across the top of the arch. The windows are small but some great views were had on a clear day. It doesn't take very long to walk from one side to the other and then go down again. We were up about 15 minutes. But being able to do it with my niece was priceless.

If you are in St. Louis, take the time to go up in the Arch at least once in your life. And also be sure to take some time in the museum in the lower level. It really highlights the Lewis and Clark Expedition. Fun and history all at the same time.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

We spent a good amount of time on Saturday afternoon/evening at memorial. If you want to ride the tram to the top of the arch, I would recommend buying your tickets ahead of time, or prepare for a wait, at least on the weekend. Because of the wait on Saturday, we actually went back down on Tuesday afternoon and we able to walk right onto a tram. The museum was fun to walk through and read about the Lewis and Clark expedition.

Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

This park is what will bring you to the archway, courthouse and riverfront area. It is a beautiful walk with gorgeous shade trees keeping you cool as you walk to the archway from the parking garage on Washington avenue. My only complaint is that I wish they had more signs directing people where to go. We found one generic sign in the parking garage that said "To Arch/riverfront". You can't see the arch from the parking garage or for the majority of the walk along the sidewalks, so you just have to assume that you are headed in the right direction.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

The Jefferson National Expansion Memorial Park consists of the Gateway Arch, the Museum of Westward Expansion located inside the bottom of the Arch, the surrounding park, and the Old Courthouse across the street. I covered the Arch, the Museum, and the two movies in more detail in my review of the Gateway Arch. We spent the morning, about four hours in total, seeing all the sites of the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial Park. If you have a National Parks passport, be sure to have it with you to get your stamp for this location.