“Great park and piece of history”

Jefferson National Expansion Memorial Park
Alpharetta, Georgia
146 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Great park and piece of history”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

This is the park that the Arch resides in, and extends across to the old courthouse. The grounds are very green and well kept. There is a parking garage attached to the edge, or there is other parking that can be found. Currently the riverfront is undergoing a major construction project, so that area is rather dull and unoccupied. Definitely worth the walk, the Arch views from below, and learning about the history of Lewis and Clark and more at different areas within the park.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank DM_1278

Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
72 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 90 helpful votes
“make sure to go to the expansion museum”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

While this museum is a bit hard to follow, from historical sequence viewpoint, perhaps because it is laid out in a half circle, but the exhibits were very interesting and well done, mostly dioramas. Good for school-age children and adults.

1 Thank Ginna W
Moberly, Missouri
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Something you have to do!!”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

My husband had been trying to get me up to the top of the Arch for 34 Years! Well my nephew talked me into it last weekend! If you don't like elevators, cramped spaces, or heights you better just enjoy the Museum and the views from below!! I never get tired of looking at the Arch!

1 Thank Claricems
Chicago, Illinois
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Finally got to go up in the Arch”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I'd been to the Arch as a little girl and now I promised to take my niece up. We had been to St. Louis three times prior to this visit and each time the long lines for tickets or security prohibited us from going up. This time, I did what was recommended...I purchased my tickets on line. We stayed at the Embassy Suites Hotel so it was an easy walk to the Arch. The experience of going up in the Arch hasn't changed since I was a child. The system is time sensitive. You purchase tickets for the time you want to go up. Since we had ours in hand and got through security quickly, we were able to go up a bit earlier. Not sure if that always happens. You are given an elevator number that you will ride up in. The elevators are the shape of an egg and only hold 5 people each. There are 8 elevators so only 40 people go up at a time. There is a set of elevators in each tower so basically 80 people at a time. Now I know why the lines were so long when we came before. The ride takes about 4 minutes up and 3 minutes down. A little small of a ride but it goes quickly. Once at the top you are literally walking across the top of the arch. The windows are small but some great views were had on a clear day. It doesn't take very long to walk from one side to the other and then go down again. We were up about 15 minutes. But being able to do it with my niece was priceless.

If you are in St. Louis, take the time to go up in the Arch at least once in your life. And also be sure to take some time in the museum in the lower level. It really highlights the Lewis and Clark Expedition. Fun and history all at the same time.

Bluffton, Ohio
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fun St. Loius experience”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We spent a good amount of time on Saturday afternoon/evening at memorial. If you want to ride the tram to the top of the arch, I would recommend buying your tickets ahead of time, or prepare for a wait, at least on the weekend. Because of the wait on Saturday, we actually went back down on Tuesday afternoon and we able to walk right onto a tram. The museum was fun to walk through and read about the Lewis and Clark expedition.