“Little Bit of Heaven”

Shrine of St. Joseph
Ranked #71 of 270 things to do in Saint Louis
More attraction details
Owner description: The Shrine is a beautifully retored 19th century Catholic church. St Joseph was built for German immigrants and staffed by Jesuit priests. We offer a Catholic mass every Sunday at 11am and a tour of the church follows each mass.
Reviewed 11 October 2012

While spending the night in St. Louis, I perused tripadvisor for city attractions my husband and I could see the next morning. I came across the Shrine and after reading its history, put it on my agenda. After breakfast, we we walked a few blocks to the church. To my disappointment, the doors were locked. Not wanting to give up so easily, I started walking around the church grounds. I met a custodian who was nice enough to walk us to the old rectory connecting the church. He said there were usually volunteers there who may be able to let us in. We rang the bell, and the sweetest elderly gentleman ("Monday Ray"... it was a Monday:) graciously agreed to give us a tour, even though we didn't have an appointment. He did a wonderful job telling us about the history of the church. The restoration of this gorgeous building was nothing short of a miracle and brought tears to our eyes when we learned about the tragedy that had occurred to bring about this multi-million dollar restoration. We never did get to the arch, but who cares! (My husband is not even Catholic but enjoyed this very much.)

1  Thank Patricele

Reviewed 2 October 2012

Recently attended a wedding and had never been in this church even though I live in St Louis. WOW...........beautifu! It is hard to believe at one point they were going to tear down this church! The chuch has great history and the restoration work is beautiful!

Perfect for a special wedding location or perhaps a special mass for a family celebration.

Reviewed 5 August 2012

It is the most beautiful and historical. Have been to many weddings there. Historical and fantastic. Park in private parking area. Not the best part of town.

Reviewed 3 July 2012

It's a beautiful, restored old church. I received a lot of inspiration attending mass there when I was going through cancer.

Reviewed 29 June 2012

Beautiful and special place to celebrate Holy Mass.