“Very nice collection, and free!”

Saint Louis Art Museum
Ranked #8 of 254 things to do in Saint Louis
More attraction details
Owner description: Dedicated to Art and Free to All. Located in beautiful, historic Forest Park, the Saint Louis Art Museum hosts a world-class collection of art works and artifacts in one of the most impressive buildings in the city. The Museum recently completed a major expansion project, adding 21 new galleries for both collection and temporary exhibitions. Admission to the Museum is free every day, and admission to special exhibitions is free on Fridays.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Stairs / lift
Rockville, Maryland
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Very nice collection, and free!”
Reviewed 24 August 2013

We had only a couple hours, so we focused on the contemporary collection and the mummies. The contemporary collection was quite good, with many Picasos and good coverage of the NY School: Pollock, Motherwell, Rothko, Frankenthaler, De Koonig, etc. I'll agree with others that the layout is awkward, but since the goal isn't efficiency I wouldn't make a big deal of it. Also, we easily found free parking, butI agree it would be a bummer to have to pay $15 to park in the garage if you're on a budget. Why not charge less?

• Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Take the tour”
Reviewed 17 August 2013 via mobile

This place is huge-ish, so take a tour with one of the docents if at all possible. Ours gave us a great overview with emphasis on his favorite exhibits that added another dimension to the visit.

Eagle River, Wisconsin
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Free and fun”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

My boyfriend and I went to the art Museum and absolutely had a blast. So many neat and wonderful pieces of art that you literally have to take most of your day to go through the whole thing. I was very amazed and super impressed with all they had to offer. I loved it.

French Lick
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Parking is a serious deficiency”
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Takes 20 minutes to find a place to park and walk up the hill. Otherwise $15 fee. Museum has some good paintings but the layout is very confusing. No obvious way to walk through the entire museum in one path. Lots of retracing of steps. And my standard museum complaint, the typeface on the signs near the paintings are too small to read from three feet away. We spent 5 hours in the museum. Worth the visit.

Endicott, New York
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Amazing Pieces in the Midwest; FREE”
Reviewed 2 August 2013

I went to the Saint Louis Art Museum after taking an art history class at my university. A few friends and I were excited to see "just some real art" as we set out for St. Louis. There was no way we could have prepared for what we actually saw! There were numerous pieces we had actually studied in our class, examples of art from all areas of the globe and eras of history, and just an amazing experience!
When we returned to school and talked about the museum, a number of our classmates said something to the effect of, "I'm sure it was great, but I'm also sure it cost you an arm and a leg to see those pieces." They almost fell over when we told them it was free!
Highly recommend this place if you're looking for something to do with friends in St. Louis but don't want to spend a lot of money. The grounds and surrounding park are also beautiful to walk through, and the (also free) zoo is next door.

Visited May 2013