“Not Your Father's Opera” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #85 of 253 things to do in Saint Louis
St. Louis, Mo
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Not Your Father's Opera”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

Opera Theater of St. Louis is a delightful experience that refutes many of the current, unfortunate stereotypes about opera while still being fully professional with top-notch designers and singers. First, the performance is not way far up on a distant stage - there is no vast orchestra pit separating the actors from the audience (the musicians are literally below the stage) - the thrust stage and small size of the theater puts you literally within a few feet of these amazing singers and creates an intimacy that enhances your experience. Second, because of the limited size, the productions are not overblown with massive scenery and a multitude of spear-carriers (although they certainly can do numbers of people when called for). Third, while performing all the operas in English may sometimes make the words and sounds not quite as the composer intended, it does make the meaning more accessible even with the supertitles and for the most part the translations are excellent. Fourth, the atmosphere is delightfully casual and accessible for everyone - whether or not you are a "fan" of opera in general you will enjoy the opportunity to picnic on the lawn before the performance and have a nightcap or dessert in the lawn tent after the performance. Finally, for me the most charming and special tradition here is that after every performance the singers come out to the tent and mingle informally with the audience members and friends over a glass of wine or a cup of gelato. In the past week alone my family and I have had delightful chats with several stars and upcoming stars such as Rene Barbera, Kelly Kaduce and Susannah Biller. If you like opera, you will especially like it here; if you think you don't like opera, give it a try for the overall experience and I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

2 Thank jdf48

New Douglas, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“I'm sold!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

I am ready to purchase tickets to a show or two for next season. I started liking opera over the last few years, but had yet to attend a performance. My wife did not like opera, but my 6yo enjoys listening to it (note: if you have kids that like music but have never seen or heard opera, find a show called 'Operavox'). I bought a family pack promotion to attend a performance of the "Magic Flute." While the cost was still a bit high, I do feel it was worth it. Considering the limited time frame of the season, all those employed to bring the production to fruition, and the limited number of seats, I do feel the price is justified.
After seeing how intimately small the theater is, I do not believe you could get a bad seat. Ours were third row and right next to the stage-right front performer entrance/exit.
Needless to say, the experience literally changed my wife, who was still talking positively about the performance a week later. I definitely think she will not hesitate to see a performance next season. My daughter loved it as well. She was talking about the performance to whole next day.
I just cannot heap enough praise on the experience. We were opera virgins, but the Opera Theatre of St. Louis made our first live introduction an incredible experience. - Randy from New Douglas, IL.

2 Thank Randy S
Saint Louis, Missouri
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“A gem of St. Louis Culture”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

For the past 39 seasons, the productions here are the equal of any we have seen around the world. Intimate theatre, musicians are first class from the St. Louis Symphony, and rising young singers who are generally excellent. Very innovative and well crafter productions, well rehearsed. Have picnic dinner before the opera. Lots of educational lectures and seminars to prepare yourself for the productions. No elitism here; just great entertainment. You can meet with the stars for a drink in the tent after the production.

2 Thank BobE31DC
St. Louis
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Great opera and entertainment”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

My wife and I have been attending Opera Theatre of St. Louis for over 30 years. It is one of St. Louis' hidden treasures.

The opera performances feature great singing from rising younger artists , exciting productions, and a varied repertory with 24 world premiers and 23 American premiers.

The theatre is small--under 1,000 seats--and has a thrust stage. The net result is that all the seats are close.

We start off with dinner (order from the opera or bring our own) on the lawn or under one of the tents. Enjoy the opera. Then stay for the post-opera under the tent.

All in all, it makes for a great evening.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank travelstl
Saint Louis, Missouri
50 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“This is the Rep doing Opera”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

So, basically the Repertory Theatre in St. Louis, does Opera for 3 months and calls it the Opera Theatre of St. Louis. When I think of Opera I think of grander theaters. People still bring their grand egos though!!! Cost is very high, I felt, but the show was excellent and enjoyable. The other patrons sitting by me, not so! I would still give it 4 stars because the show was great, but I can't justify 5 stars with the limitations.

Visited June 2013