“Good but few disappointments”

Hampton Inn & Suites St. Louis at Forest Park
Ranked #3 of 122 Hotels in Saint Louis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 28 March 2014

When we arrived we requested a port a crib, but it took some time to receive it. My daughter was so over tired from the trip and needed a nap immeditely when we arrived. Not major but a little frustrating. Same sleep/nap issue on subsequent days as cleaning was never finished by 2-3p in afternoon when we came back for her rest. So we either waited to get cleaned or had to wait until evening to just have the room straightened and trash removed. Only other issue was the extreme amount of chlorine in pool and hottub. One night it was so bad we left the area as it was buring my children and husbands eyes. All in all, it was a good place to stay. Much cheaper than downtown hotels. Guess I was just a little disappointed after the great reviews...which is why I booked in the first place.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton
joshgarrett, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites St. Louis at Forest Park, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Shelli A,
Thank you for staying with us and writing a review. I'm glad you thought the hotel overall was a good value. I'm sorry we did not get your crib to you in a timely manner. We try to accommodate all guest requests as quickly as we can. I apologize for the pool issue. We have been working to figure out a solution to the issue as you were not the only person to complain about the chlorine smell during the Spring Break period. I want to thank you for bringing it to our attention. We hope you come back and stay with us the next time you are in St. Louis. If there is a specific time you want your room cleaned please ask us and we are more than happy to accommodate.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

Hotel was extremely clean, pool great (except for chlorine which was strong in hot tub area), excellent location, fitness area quite nice. No microwave or refrigerator in room which was a bummer but doable. All worked out great except don't eat the eggs or oatmeal for breakfast. The eggs were very bland and had a waxy coating to them and the oatmeal was a thick paste both mornings we stayed there. The service was excellent and very nice gentlemen working the desk. Would recommend to friends.

1  Thank numbrdos

numbrdos,
Thank you for your review. I'm sorry to hear you were not satisfied with the eggs and oatmeal. We do have to follow the Hampton brand standards for the food we serve. I will be sure to give your feedback to the brand. I'm glad our location worked out for you overall. Please come back and stay with us the next time you are in St. Louis. Our studio suites have more space, a larger flat screen TV, plus a microwave and refrigerator!

Reviewed 24 March 2014

Stayed for a few nights and was satisfied with most everything, but not all. The gym was well maintained (treadmill, elliptical, recumbent bike, some weights, water, towels); double queen room was as expected for this price range; housekeeping did well; parking was plentiful and free; check in and all interactions with employees was pleasant. It is within walking distance of the science museum and some other attractions, and a few restaurants. The breakfast was just fine but could use a little improvement--maybe they are limited because there isn't a real kitchen, but the eggs were of the heat and serve type, along with some other items, and worthy of a pass. But the other items at breakfast were plentiful and the area was kept clean. The pool area was well maintained and was fine but for one things--the smell of chlorine was overpowering, as in burning the eyes. It was just too uncomfortable to stay for long. Also be aware that the rooms have no refrigerator or microwave. I had some pizza I wanted to warm up and an employee ensured there was a microwave put into one of the meeting rooms near the lobby--great service, much appreciated. Other than a few flaws, I can recommend this hotel as a good value.

1  Thank ukaspar

ukaspar,
Thank you for taking time to review your stay at our hotel. I'm happy to hear you thought it was a good location and our staff was accommodating. I'm sorry about your experience in the pool room. We are working to improve the ventilation. Thank you for your honest feed back and bringing it to our attention. Please come back and stay with us again. If you choose one of our newly renovated studio suites it will have a wet bar, microwave, and refrigerator!

Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

Made reservation from the road on Hampton's Website, fair price, easy to use, Clean room, restaurant adjacent to hotel was good pub food. Room was large with all amenities, including free WiFi! Check in and out easy with typical great breakfast. Will stay here again!

Stayed: March 2014

Maribeth K,
Thank you for your review of our hotel. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay! We hope to be your location of choice the next time you are in St. Louis.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

The front desk area and swimming pool has an overpowering odor of chlorine bleach. It gave my children breathing trouble and our eyes hurt while in the pool area. My children didn't want to swim due to this. Swimming was the purpose for staying locally instead of going back home each night. The hotel has a very nice breakfast.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Mike E,
Thank you for your review and feedback regarding your stay with us. I am sorry about the overpowering smell of bleach. We received several reviews such as yours during our Spring Break season. We have found that the smell is due to a lack of ventilation during high pool occupancy. We are taking steps to improve this. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Reviewed 22 March 2014

We stayed in a suite on the interstate side of the hotel - we could hear it, but it faded into background noise and didn't bother us. Hotel was full and we didn't hear much from the other guests. The suite was large, bathroom was nice with shower/toilet & sink in separate areas.

As a previous guest noted, the chlorine in the pool was not bearable to spend any time there - we went in the hot tub for less than 5 minutes and our eyes were burning.

Breakfast was fine, not noteworthy - had it a couple of the days we were there and ate elsewhere the other days. The Highlander was passable, but not great - would recommend heading over to the Central West End for breakfast/lunch instead.

Most staff were nice and friendly - 2 women at the front desk were helpful with directions and recommendations. One man at the front desk would hardly look up from his computer to talk to guests. Note to the hotel staff - please do not get on the elevator with a cart of garbage when guests are there - this happened twice and it was not pleasant.

Location was great - 5 minutes to downtown right on the interstate; across the street from Forest Park. We walked to the park - very fast and good neighborhood. Free zoo.

Room Tip: If sensitive to freeway noise, ask for room away from the interstate/park
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RelaxedBadgerFan

RelaxedBadgerFan,
Thank you for your review and thank you for choosing the hotel for your trip to St. Louis. I'm glad you thought the accommodations and staff were good overall. I apologize for the high chlorine smell in the pool. We are working on getting better ventilation in the pool area. It was reviews such as yours that brought it to our attention. We hope to see you next time you are in St. Louis.

Reviewed 21 March 2014

Three night stay at this Hampton Inn and Suites. We stayed in a Suite and the extra room was worth the extra $20 we spent each night. As you can probably tell from other reviews - the hotel was recently remodeled and the results were - awesome. The decor is updated and modern and provided a pleasant stay all around.

The beds were comfortable and on the plus side - a couple of times during the stay I actually saw the staff washing sheets and blankets! I know, I know...you expect this...but you hear the horror stories and its nice to see.

Shower wasn't great...but it wasn't bad either. The shades/blinds did an adequate job of blocking out the sun. The room seemed kinda on the warm side...even though the thermo was down. Weird.

Nice desk. Pretty good TV.

Couch and chair were stiff (assuming it from being so new).

Pool - really our only complaint. Two nights during our stay the pool had way, way, way too much chlorine. So much so, that the pool room had too much chlorine smell (gas) in the air and most of the kids in the room were coughing every 5 seconds or so. It was so bad that every parent got their kids out of the room (probably 10 plus kids). I went down to let the front desk know and they were already aware and had blocked open the door to let the chlorine smell out. So...keep an eye on this. Hopefully they are keeping a better look on it (I assume so).

Staff - Great, great, great. Everyone is nice and friendly. Pleasant with smiles. I just can't say enough good things about this staff. I am talking everyone. Whoever is managing this place is on it. Seriously - for the service alone - I would come back.

Location - it is close to all the family spots in St Lou. The science museum is right there. The zoo (it is walking distance - but I wouldn't do it...because after walking a couple of miles in the zoo...I would hate to be looking at the walk back)...anyways...the zoo is close. Maybe a 5 min drive. A couple of shopping malls are close by. The city museum is close. Downtown/arch - maybe like a 5 min drive on Interstate 64. Speaking of which...Interstate access is a breeze.

Parking - not bad at all.

Breakfast - it's okay. They had something for everyone. The eggs were kind of cold and I'm not sure if they were real eggs or not. But each day there was something hot and different. They have cereal, oatmeal, etc.

24/7 coffee.

Room location - we stayed in 525 which is on the back corner of the building. I didn't hear the interstate traffic once.

The Highlander is a sportsbar next door to the hotel. They probably have the best/largest HDTV's around.

All in all...I would stay here again. The staff is on it and the property is managed extremely well. Besides the pool...no true complaints. Really only compliments to management and more importantly their excellent staff.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the interstate. I think all rooms can see the interstate...but the farthest...

Walkapolooza,
Thank you for writing such an extensive review about the hotel. I really appreciate all of your feedback. I am sorry to hear about your experience at the pool. As you can see from other reviews you were not the only one that experienced this. We have worked diligently to figure out what the problem was. We take pool readings at least twice a day. The readings always came up within the recommended range. Working with our pool vendor we have figured out that it was an issue with the ventilation. We have corrected the issue. We hope you will stay with us again and your pool experience will be much better!