“Not A Bad Hotel But The Area Is Miserable”

St. Louis Union Station Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #23 of 121 Hotels in Saint Louis
Columbia, Missouri
“Not A Bad Hotel But The Area Is Miserable”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

The hotel was probably above average in its own right, but the shopping area (an enclosed mall) in which it's situated is downright scary at night. If you stay here go directly to and from your room and eat room service.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Jeremiah E, General Manager at St. Louis Union Station Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our property and for the kind words about our amazing hotel! I wanted to share with readers the reason behind the vacant retail spaces. As we design the future look of this space it is wiser to not fill it with a new tenant. Our renovations of the attached mall of Union Station will begin in 2015. Please know that although it is strange to see a space like this so quiet at night, it is safe with excellent security teams and surveillance and after 10pm only hotel guests with their key cards may enter into the space.

Jeremiah Essmyer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (384)
Lawrence, Kansas
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I had really high hopes for this hotel. The grand lobby is just beautiful, and the ambiance of the restaurant (complete with evening light shows, some that lasted for nearly twenty minutes) was stunning. Unfortunately, my experience with my room left much to be desired. You always take a chance when booking on Priceline, but I was disappointed that I received a room with 2 queen beds instead of 1 king, but that can't be helped. They gave me a 1st floor room, hot and moist next to the pool area. The room itself was average - nothing at all interesting about it. I take that back. The room had two corded telephones - one on the desk, and another in the bathroom. I believe these relics belong in 1995, not a 4 diamond hotel. The lamp shades were dirty and broken, and the shower still had hair from the previous guest. I had to pay a premium to stay here because of the lack of rooms in St. Louis this particular weekend, but I would have expected a little better from this place. I most likely will not return here to stay, but stopping in for a drink at the hotel restaurant would be a definite possibility.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Jeremiah E, General Manager at St. Louis Union Station Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Thank you for your review and your lovely notes about the positives of our property. I think what is most important for me to address is your first floor room--the black eye of your stay. Our guestroom renovation began on our top floor, working down through the building. With only the last two floors left to complete you did see the worst we have to offer. These are the rooms that are last to be used, last to be assigned, and typically what is available for those discount, wholesale sites to sell on our behalf. Most hotels keep this type of thing I secret, but I feel it's important to be honest. I am so sorry that this was all we had left to sell this busy weekend. If you were to book through Hilton.com I know your experience would be as positively memorable as your first impressions. Please don't rule us out--I know you'll enjoy your next stay.

Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed here on May 30th and I highly recommend staying here the staff was so nice and the hotel was so beautiful. The beds are the softest bed I have ever slept in, I had the best night sleep. I can't wait to come back.

• Stayed May 2014
Oxford, Mississippi
Reviewed 1 June 2014

This place was a pleasure to stay in. The help was very nice. The check in and check out process was very smooth. We ate each morning in the restaurant. the food was great!! They have a little everything for the picky eaters.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

1 Thank Jonathan D
Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us! As readers can see our past months of renovations have tested our wonderful Associates, but with so many improvements now complete the staff can begin to truly shine again in their new environment. We all look forward to your return and wish you a very happy summer.

St. Louis
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Came in for a wedding, called day before and was told we could have early check in at 1000. Upon arrival 10:15-1030, was told room wasn't ready it would be ~45 minutes someone was in there cleaning now. Came back 45 min. later, room not ready, told to go ahead and go to rib fest and upon return room would be ready. Came back 3-3.5 hrs later room was STILL not ready. Friends arrived 30 min. before we arrived 3-3.5 hrs later and room was available. Told our rooms were all together, they were not even close.Told $50. would be taken off room charge, bill came next morning, not taken off had to make special trip down to get bill fixed.Told there would be staycation coupon coming in a couple days, it was mailed. No staycation coupon 1 week later. Poor, poor service .

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us; there are very concerning items here that I'd like to personally follow-up on. I imagine at this point you have received your certificate; I will speak to my administrative team to see if there's a way to expedite this process moving forward. Without knowing more about you and the room you reserved I cannot, with integrity, explain what happened with the readiness of your room. However, for readers I can share that our property is extremely unique and we have over a dozen "types" of rooms that we have only 5 or fewer of. When these rooms are reserved we are at the mercy of the prior guests and when they chose to leave. Not to brag, but it's hard to leave such a beautiful place on time. What concerns me the most is what was said to you at the Front Desk. If our staff is confident enough to quote a time then we must deliver on it. I will be reviewing your experience with our Front Office team and develop new ways to accommodate check-in requests prior to 3pm, our check-in time.

Thank you again for sharing your feedback,
Springfield, United States
Reviewed 31 May 2014

My wife and I reserved a Superior King Executive level, arrived at 5:00 pm and were sent to A Queen room. We called the desk immediately and were promised a bellman with keys to the correct room. He never came. We returned to the desk and were told that the King rooms had been oversold and we would have to accept a Queen. We had purchased the event package to see a concert and have a romantic evening. By the time we finally settled into our room with two Queen beds we were running late for the show and didn't get a meal beforehand. While the grand lobby of this Hotel is indeed Grand, the practice of overselling is unacceptable and I will not return.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Gregory S
Thank you for taking the time to review our property and please let me apologize for starting your special evening out in such a poor way. It is not our "goal" or "practice" to oversell a particular room type--please know this. However, what many people don't know is just how complicated balancing 539 guestrooms can be when we offer over 22 different types of them. I do not wish to make any excuses; we clearly did not deliver on what we said we could and for that you should be compensated. I cannot contact you directly, but I ask that you contact me so I can properly apologize for our balancing oversight. As a service provider, and creator of memories it is our goal to create an experience that not only brings you back but your family and friends. With this as our strategy I assure you we weigh your satisfaction greater than anything else. I hope to hear from you. jessmyer@stlunionstationhotel.com

Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Great location, historic hotel, and it is very nice. It is having some remodel work completed. I liked the fact that the Metrolink is really close so you can travel around the city easily. The laser show on the Union Hall ceiling was awesome. I would stay there again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business