“Beautiful Location and Building”

St. Louis Union Station Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #23 of 121 Hotels in Saint Louis
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I wish I could give this place five stars, but in good conscious ... kidding.
Here's the good points: 1. The building itself is gorgeous, both inside and out. Don't miss the light show in the bar/restaurant area. 2. The location is wonderful. You are right in Union Station with food/shopping options right there. You are within walking distance to Busch Stadium and the Arch (about a mile one way). 3. The rooms are newly renovated and very nice. They are nicely appointed with all you'd need. 4. The service is above and beyond - polite, helpful and friendly.
Now, the bad points: 1. Parking is $24 a day. A little high. 2. No breakfast included. 3. You have to go in and out of several doors from check in to your room - a little confusing and a pain if you are carrying luggage and such.
Overall, I would recommend the Doubletree if staying downtown.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for St. Louis Union Station Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton

Reviewed 18 June 2014

St. Louis Union Station was built in 1894 and is on the National Register of Historic Places. Amtrak left for a new station nearby in the 1980's but the historic building has been preserved as a mall. The Double Tree is largely in a brand new structure constructed under the historic train shed. Only the spectacular waiting room in the original structure is used by the hotel as a lobby. Our room was modern, spacious and beautifully decorated. Perhaps the most surprising touch was the use of real drinking glasses instead of the otherwise ubiquitous plastic.

We only ate breakfast in the hotel. Admittedly the hot and cold buffets are on the high side but the food was excellent and beautifully presented. Without fail every employee in the hotel was pleasant and either wished us a good stay or inquired as whether there was anything they could do.

Our price was an excellent value for a weekend where the Cards were in town but I suspect the price varies with demand and you will have to compare with one of the many downtown hotels. While on the far end of downtown it is directly adjacent to a light rail station. Parking was a little confusing as we were told that $16 was for 24 hours with in and out privileges but when we left on the last day after 12 hours we were told we couldn't park anymore.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank marcrail1
Jeremiah E, General Manager at St. Louis Union Station Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Thank you for your recent review and NICE WORK on your knowledge of the property--very impressive! I think you did very well explaining what we have to offer and I'm so thankful you were able to appreciate the amazing staff we have. I feel lucky to work with such passionate people--they truly do make the difference. I will review the parking information and posted signs; you did mention something that others may also feel so it's important we reword the offerings to avoid confusion. I wish you a wonderful summer and hope to see you very soon!

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Email sent to Front Office Manager who has not responded

My family stayed at the Union Station Hilton Friday June 13th through Sunday June 15th. I wanted to convey some of my thoughts about several issues that we had during our stay. Let me start out by saying that I travel for a living and in full disclosure I typically stay at Marriott hotels as my company has good corporate rates through them. I decided against staying at the Marriott in downtown St. Louis because the location of the Union Station Hilton was much more conducive for our vacation plans. The check-in itself was just fine as the associates at the front desk were very cordial. However, what they failed to mention to me was an easy way for me to get from your West parking lot to the actual hotel. We tried using the West convention entrance, but had no idea where to go. So we had to haul all of our luggage around the front of the hotel and then find our room. Not a big deal in itself, however, it would have been nice to know that we had to do this. We were placed in Room 1211 which is directly parallel to the pool on the first floor. At first we didn’t think the noise would be a problem as it was 3:00PM in the afternoon and other patrons were having fun and it was a sunny Friday afternoon before a Cardinals game. Our air conditioning was maxed out at ’60 degrees’, though if it was 75 degrees in the room I’d be surprised. We couldn’t get it any cooler. Luckily this past weekend wasn’t too warm outside so we just dealt with it. We had family functions to attend Friday night and made it back to our room @ 9:30PM. The pool was still packed as many people were shouting and hollering. In itself it’s not a big deal because after all it was a Friday night. However, my two kids are 7 and 8 years old, respectively, and they needed to get to sleep. We could also hear/feel the music coming from the Hard Rock café nearby. I went to the front desk and inquired about the pool noise and the music. They assured us the pool would close at 10:00 but the Hard Rock was open until 12:00. I requested a room change for the following day and they said they would contact me first thing in the morning. We thought we could deal with the pool noise until 10 and just deal with the music. Anyway, the pool crowd did not disperse at 10 and the unusual noise was still going on. Luckily for my sake, the kids went to bed. However, my wife and I tossed and turned because not only was the room warm, the noise outside was a nuisance. We finally went to sleep, though it was extremely restless. The following morning came and we ate breakfast in your hotel. The staff there was extremely nice and we really enjoyed ourselves. The food was good so we thought a new day was upon us. Nobody had contacted me about a room change, so we went about our day in St. Louis. Yes I could have gone back and inquired with them, but I thought I did my part the previous night. We had a wedding to attend that night and made it back to the hotel around 10:30. There were still several kids/young adults outside making all sorts of noise and the noise from the Hard Rock was still there. There were also several individuals running up and down the hall and the patrons in the next room to us were extremely loud. Couple the fact that the room was not too cool, it was another night of restless sleep. At no time during the day did I receive notice from your front staff about a room change. And since we were gone all day and didn’t make it back until later in the night, we decided against trying to change rooms so late. Had we been notified about a room change, we would have made time to come back to the hotel and move our belongings to a more quite room.

All in all, this was not a pleasant experience for anybody which is too bad because I’ve stayed at your hotel before. We even have to be back in St. Louis in late August for another family wedding and were considering staying at the Union Station Hilton again. However, given the fact that our last experience was so poor, it’s going to be difficult for us to stay with you again.

Room Tip: Stay away from Rooms by Pool
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thank you so much for taking the time to share such a detailed review--I am sincerely sorry your experience was not 5-Star. I think the most frustrating part of your review (for me) was seeing that the evening staff didn't follow procedure to communicate to the morning team the clear commitment they made to you. I can't stress how sorry I am to read this as we had an opportunity to give you a great experience, but just failed to "own it". I'll be sharing your review with our Front Office team to help illustrate the use of their communication tools and sharing parking tips to first-time guests. A few positive things that may help you begin to look forward to your next visit are you were in a room that won't exist in August! The 1st floor is our last floor to be renovated so you'll already find yourself far more comfortable on your next visit with a brand-new air conditioning unit!! I'd like to extend my services to you; please contact me at jessmyer@stlunionstationhotel.com if you care to. I'd be happy to discuss your next visit and to discuss your last one. Please enjoy the rest of your summer!

Reviewed 17 June 2014

The entire historic train station is now a hotel. It's still being renovated, but what they have done so far is spectacular. Everywhere you look, there is a cool historic detail. The light show in the lobby sounded silly, but it was fun and very well done. The staff was very friendly and the hotel provided all the amenities you would expect from a Doubletree with a few little surprises. If I return to St. Louis, I'll stay again! I was there for business, but it would also be great for a romantic weekend or a trip with kids, that would enjoy the pool. My room was clean and very comfortable, although I did hear the guests in the next room.

Room Tip: I was in the new side of the hotel and my room was great; however, I heard the rooms in the historic...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We really enjoyed our stay here, and I was so class to giving this hotel five stars, but had a few issues.

Pros:
Beautiful hotel, one of the fanciest lobbies I've ever been in, I tried taking pictures, but it didn't do the building justice.
Nice restaurant, good room service, expensive for both
Room was newly renovated, wonderfully appointed, great furniture, great bed.
Great area of town, shopping mall area right inside union station is neat, when the renovations are done for this, this will be a great destination hotel.

Cons:
The sleeper sofa was still all bolted together, so we arrived at 2:00 am, got to our room, and then couldn't get the kids in the bed. Two mechanics and an hour later, we got in bed, but still, that made for such a late night after a long drive.
The breakfast was good, but everything was covered in chives which i don't love and it was super expensive.
The checkout process was longer then I would have liked but fairly good, getting the bags took a bit of effort, they did give you waters in your car though with Valet, which was neat.
Expensive per night, but the room was very nice

I would recommend this, it was a good stay, their management did care, and the night staff was as helpful as they could be, it just was disappointing the rooms weren't quite ready.

Room Tip: They have a variety of suites, ours wasn't a full split. Everything is under renovation right n...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our property and I'm super-bummed we missed that 5-Star review!! (Next time perhaps??) Just from you review I can tell that you were assigned to our 4th floor. This was the first floor we renovated that had our brand-new Queen-size sleeper sofas installed. I remember hearing that more than one was "missed" and the shipping straps were not cut during installation. I am so sorry this made your night so long and unpleasant. Rest assured that we have since blitzed the property to correct the others in the building. We will all look forward to your next visit where we will plan to get that 5th STAR!

Reviewed 16 June 2014

We are a military family traveling from Hawaii to North Carolina. We have stayed in several hotels (all Hilton) throughout our cross-country adventure. This has by far been the best hotel experience by far. The hotel itself is beautiful and the staff was so helpful and polite. We will be coming back to visit St. Louis just to stay at this hotel! Highly recommend!!!

• Stayed: June 2014
Jeremiah E, General Manager at St. Louis Union Station Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Thank you SO much for this wonderful review! Thank you for stopping by to stay with us as well--I hope the rest of your journey went very well. With so much of our renovations behind us the hotel is producing wonderful experiences for thousands of guests--please come back soon!

Reviewed 16 June 2014

The hotel smelled of mold. My family and I where very grossed out! Internet does not work from rooms making It hard to scope out restraints! The lobby is beautiful but everything else is a total ZERO!!

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
2  Thank Lorna R

Lorna,

Thank you for taking the time to share this feedback with us--because you also filled out our internal survey I was able to research your stay and the "mold" smell you speak off was quite strong and coming from room 2108. It was "wet carpet" smell from a previous guest who left the tub running and flooded the room. We have been treating this room, but the carpet was so extensively wet the smell did seem to seep into your hallway. This has been resolved, but if you stay anywhere again please share this type of feedback upon arrival so new accommodations can be chosen for you. I am very sorry this ruined your stay and hope you have a chance to come and stay on one of your newly renovated floors. You will find a completely different experience.