“Delightful staff and stay”

St. Louis Union Station Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #21 of 120 Hotels in Saint Louis
“Delightful staff and stay”
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

Upon pulling off of the highway, we stopped in front of what we thought to be the main entrance to the hotel (archway) only to find the doors locked. Another guest had made the same mistake and politely told me that we needed to walk up the street to the "flags." If there was a posted sign, I missed it.

With that said, difficulty finding the main entrance was by far the worst experience I had during my stay at the hotel. My interactions with each member of the hotel staff grew increasingly delightful. Even though I parked my own car, the parking valets got me going in the right direction to the front desk (2nd floor). The check in staff was kind and playful without any pompous attitude that I have found at similar priced hotels during recent business trips to New Orleans and Lincoln, NE.

The hotel also presents a bit of St Louis history in the form of an awe inspiring light show eight times every evening on the ceiling of the ballroom. Each member of my family, ages 13 to 50, found the 5 minute show entertaining and when the lights came on, admiring the beautiful cathedral ceiling of the ballroom. We wondered aloud to one another about the many passengers who had passed through the station and ballroom during the earlier part of the 20h century.

As my teenagers heads are normally buried in their electronic devices, I was appreciative of the moment.

Recently remodeled, we found our room to be very clean and inviting. The color palette and lighting were very eye appeasing and the historical decor very fitting. The beds were extremely comfortable and, despite the signage that there was construction going on in the hotel, our sleep was quiet and restful. The next morning, we dined in the restaurant where James, our waiter, took great care to ensure we didn't go away hungry and entertained us with his quick wit.

All-in-all, our stay at the Union Station Doubletree Hotel was quite delightful and I would recommended it to business travelers and families alike.

Stayed August 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We stayed at the hotel from 8/5 - 8/7. THe staff was very helpful and friendly. The only issue was at 3:00 our room was still not ready. They did put us in another room but the view was not very nice. We had upgraded for a courtyard view. I also had to request that the upgrade charge be removed from the bill. Otherwise a wonderful stay

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 August 2014

I was there for 4 nights and my room got cleaned once...Staff was very friendly, but just didn't do their jobs! Major reconstruction also underway...hammering starting at 8:00 AM every morning... Frint desk staff was very accomodating and everyone was friendly

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Jeremiah E, General Manager at St. Louis Union Station Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Thank you for your recent visit and for taking the time to share your feedback. I am terribly sorry that renovation was loud during your visit. Each week has been different; sometimes they are quietly laying carpet, and other days they are creating new suites! I do certainly appreciate your patience and I assure you that, in the end, you'll feel the pain was worth the improvement! I also want to apologize for the disconnect and misunderstanding regarding your guestroom service. We have received this same "type" of feedback many different ways and we've realized that it's communication between our guests and our Room Attendants. We've begun asking our Attendants to smile and have guests sign their work assignment next to the words "no service". We're finding that guests are realizing what their words mean to the staff and these interactions are now becoming so much clearer for both. Better monitoring of Do Not Disturb signs, or more specifically when the signs come off the doors is helping ensure Attendants go back to rooms that earlier did not wish for service. These simple changes to our focus have drastically reduced this feedback; thank you for being part of the solution and we do hope to see you again.

Warmest regards,
Jeremiah Essmyer
Assistant General Manager
St. Louis, United States
Reviewed 12 August 2014

My 1-night stay was wonderful. Room was excellent, and the hotel itself - the lobby area, light show, music, bar - were breathtaking. Just beautiful. I get to stay at many ordinarily nice hotels - this was an outstanding exception.

De Pere, United States
Reviewed 12 August 2014

What an AMAZING Hotel! It is rare that I go on vacation and the hotel itself is an experience - absolutely beautiful! I travel frequently for business, so I am familiar with good and bad hotels, but this was a family vacation with my 3 children. Our room was a 2 queen overlooking the courtyard. My children enjoyed the light show, the breakfast was great, service all around was great...I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL to anyone traveling to St Louis and looking to stay downtown. I would pay to park in the lot and not necessarily pay for valet.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

1 Thank Stefanie A
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I traveled to St. Louis with a friend to take in a couple of Cardinal baseball games and we chose the Doubletree Union Station because of price and location. I can't say enough about the friendly service and the accommodations of this hotel located in the historic old Union Station. The hotel is currently undergoing a major renovation which caused only minor inconveniences that were made known even prior to our arrival.
We requested and were given newly renovated rooms on the 4th floor. My room was beautifully done, clean and comfortable with a great bed. My friend reported the same experience with his room.
The only meals we had in the hotel restaurant were breakfast. The buffet was delicious and included made to order omelets and all the other breakfast items you would normally expect.
Valet and bell service was prompt and courteous.
The only negatives were the complicated maze of corridors leading to the rooms in witch we made several wrong turns trying to find our rooms (somewhat our fault for not paying attention to the posted wall signs). In addition they were obviously having problems with the well advertised light show that takes place in the beautiful ornate old restored grand hall every evening. The show was disjointed and obviously not complete. Even during the day there were sudden loud blasts of sound from what appeared to be an attempt to fix the light show problems. Even with these minimal distractions this was a delightful place that will only improve as the renovation moves to completion. I will definitely make this my St. Louis lodging destination in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for a newly renovated room.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Vero Beach, Florida
Reviewed 10 August 2014

The Union Station is amazing. The light shows in the main room are a blast and the food is excellent. It was a rainy couple days but there is plenty to do and see right in the station. Great bed and wonderful staff. I had a blast here and highly recommend this hotel.