“A great way to finish a road trip!”

Hilton St. Louis at the Ballpark
Ranked #41 of 120 Hotels in Saint Louis
Wisconsin
“A great way to finish a road trip!”
Reviewed 9 August 2009

From start to finish, the Hilton St. Louis at the Ballpark was a delight. We were greeted warmly by the staff that saw to it our every need was met. With an inexpensive upgrade, my spouse and I had a stunning view of the arch and Old Courthouse from our room on the 20th floor of the West Tower. With the waning moon rising from below the arch, we couldn't take our eyes off the site as we fell asleep with the curtains open. Everything was tops in this hotel that was built, seemingly, just for us.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (602)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Las Colinas - DFW, TX
Reviewed 15 July 2009

If you are staying in St Louis for Business, this is a great Hotel. I had stayed at the Downtown Hilton, and the Drury Suites in the area on different trips. This hotel is great, but If I was travelling with a family I'd probably go to the Drury for the better value. All in all, there isn't much bad to say about it. I loved crossing the street to hang out in the bar at Fridays, and I loved wandering the downtown district in St Louis. The rooms that can see into the Ballpark are great. You can park in several garages in the area, and walk to this hilton if you don't want to valet.

• Stayed April 2008, travelled on business
Grand Rapids MI
Reviewed 8 July 2009

Usually we stay at the Hampton yet it was full so we took a gamble on the Hilton which paid off beautifully. Walking distance to everything even the casino and night club area!! Of course, the arch is right down the block and the weather was rainy for awhile and then perfect making the fireworks a grand display over the Gateway Arch. St. Louis has a super 4th of July parade right outside the front door of the hotel. Great staff, attentive service, and check with Jayson at the front desk should you need anything special - he can pull it off for sure! Breakfast buffet came with the room and it was superb ... thank you Erica for being such a great waitress. Need directions, call Brei and she'll get you there. Parking has a fee yet in most big cities this would be true. Remember to dine out at least one night with ribs at Pappy's - yummy!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
CandyDog2010
Reviewed 6 July 2009

This hotel had a great location, and that is about all it had going for it. Even saying that is a long-shot because if there is a Cardinals game in town you will be over-run by fans and not be able to park or eat anywhere around the hotel without a long wait and high price. While the lobby is nice and very modern looking, once you venture into the towers where the rooms are located it is stale and old looking. The toilet in our room did not work from the day we got there and I called more than 8 times to get it fixed and "engineering" would come up and never could fix it. I walked down to the lobby to talk directly with the manager and he assured me that the problem would be taken care of. Well, it wasn't. I had to take my children to the lobby (a long walk) to use the restroom. The room also smelled old and musty and I found some really gross socks from a previous guest in the corner of the room. The hotel did not offer us anything for our troubles. No discounted parking (the parking situation is HORRIBLE), no free breakfasts, no vouchers for future stays, no new room. I have contacted the corporate office, we'll see if I get a response. I doubt it. I would never stay here again.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Ohio
Reviewed 5 July 2009

We stayed here for the July 4th festivities. There couldn't be a better location. Our room overlooked the ballpark--which even though we aren't baseball fans, was extremely cool.
Everyone was so helpful, nice and polite.. Housekeeping could have done a better job--forgot us one night and shorted us on towels the next---but they were extremely busy this weekend, so they are forgiven. The rooms were clean....the beds super comfortable.
The staff even left the guests use the service elevators after the fireworks to get us to our rooms without such a long of a wait. This was a fabulous hotel--at not too bad of a price for downtown.... over a holiday.... with something special going on. I would definitely stay here again. If you are coming for any events downtown, this is the place. We walked to the hotel, took the elevator to the 21st floor, had showers, and snacks and sat and watched from our room's window cars still waiting to get out of the parking lot/garages.
Very, very nice place.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 30 June 2009

First off, let me say that I was not staying at this hotel because of an upcoming St. Louis Cardinal baseball game. It seems though that most everyone else in this crowded hotel was. That may explain why the quality of this hotel is less than what it should be. What I mean by that is the hotel need not work very hard to routinely fill up to capacity (as it was when I was staying there). All it needs is its location and the baseball schedule.

This hotel is average at best. I was staying there overnight on a business trip and made the following observations, in no particular order of priority:

1. Registration Process - Desk clerk friendly, tried to accomodate my request for a late check out (as a Hilton Honors member), but could not approve past 1:00 p.m. (regular checkout is 12 noon). Told to talk to manager in the morning, but on the several occassions that I tried, he was always "in meetings." No one else to talk to. No luck, no late checkout. Why is this so difficult of an issue with this hotel when other hotels can easily accomodate, whether you are a member of their frequent hotel stay program or not? I realize the popularity of this hotel, but requesting an extra hour (to 2:00 p.m.) should not interfere with their housekeeping duties prior to check in time at 4:00 p.m.

2. Accomodations - The room itself was a supposed upgrade. It looked pretty average to me. The trash can was not emptied from the previous occupants. Tiny bathroom that requires you to perform a few aerobic moves before you can fully close the door. The king bed was extraordinarily firm. I like a firm bed, but this was tantamount to trying to sleep (without success) on concrete. Extremely uncomfortable. It may be that this room has an extra firm mattress. However, none was requested, and nothing was mentioned about the firm bed at the time of my check in. Are all beds in this place this uncomfortable?

3. Parking - Unless you want to take your chances across the street and down the block at the self-parking garage (police warnings of theft posted prominently in the elevator), your only option is to valet (particularly if you are bringing luggage). The overnight valet parking is $24 for 24 hour period. I checked in around 7:30 p.m. and checked out around 5:30 p.m. the following day. Interesting though, the valet fee signage in front of the hotel where you valet says nothing at all about the extra $10 that is tacked onto your parking charges if you should happen to pick up your car after 2:00 p.m. the following day, as I did. That $10 extra fee sign exists only in the area where you pick up your valet car out back the hotel. (Yes, you must trudge with your luggage to an area around the West Tower down the hallway and to the right to get your own car; no one brings your car to you when you check out, despite paying $34 (with extra charges).

4. Telephone - Why does the telephone ring in the middle of the night for just enough rings to wake you, and then stop without explanation? Perhaps some wayward fan staying at the hotel seeking to reach someone else in a room there?

5. Food - My wife and I went to the hotel bistro for dinner. We were required to sit in the bar area since the restaurant was closed. This was at 9:00 p.m. After waiting for 20 minutes to catch the attention of the only waitress in the bar lounge, the bartender took pity upon us, came over to clean the dirty table and get us some menus. The water we requested came to the table with dirty glasses. I had no interest in drinking from a glass with lip stick on it. The bartender took it back, of course, and assured us that our two draft beers would be in glasses that "just came out of the dishwasher." (Why wasn't the other water glass placed in the dishwasher before being reused? Yuk!) The sirloin we ordered medium rare came back well done. For $26 per dinner, it was clearly overpriced since it consisted of no more than 2 medallions of beef (not much more than 4 or 5 bites). The potatoes au gratin were mushy, and the asparagus limp, cold and soggy. Sounds appetizing to you? We returned the sirloin and it was returned to us sometime later medium rare as originally requested, but with little else changed (same old accoutrements). 1 dinner, 2 draught beers = $50+ The breakfast omlette the following morning in the real restaurant was OK, though once again, clearly overpriced.

In sum, unless you are staying here because you scored a deal on price line or hotwire or the like, or because you are a frenetic Cards fan (like most who were actually staying here) and must be close to the action, you should probably do better elsewhere. This place is average in a pinch. But I would certainly look elsewhere to find a better "pinch hitter."

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
Thank KerryWho?
NEW JERSEY
Reviewed 30 June 2009

SHOCKED!!!! by seeing Prostitues by front door,we arrived after a 20 hour drive at about 1:30 -2 am,nice looking lobby ,it wasn't pleasure smelling at all when you walk into the hotel,terrible smell!
we got to the front desk,not friendly people at all, rude and smug,
all she was worried about was if we wanted the valet parking,not polite people at all !!!
didn't even offer to have our bags taken up,we had to carry everything ourself,I wasn't happy about that since my husband had a stroke in May.
when we got to our room,
He had to put the long desk across the connecting door because the people were partying and were body slamming it,but want topped it was the room it self,
one bed had cubic hairs & lipstick on sheets,mice fesse on mattress cover under sheet,disgusting tub all hairs,half dirty glasses,no bath tissue ,only 2 towels & 2 face towels,little bottles of shampoo etc... were used (glad we bring our own),when I moved the towels from in the bathroom the dust showed so bad ,it was never cleaned as were the bathroom counter ,dresser tv etc...the one drawer had bugs in it,
we did request another room and she said we don't have any available,we're booked and that was the end of the conversation,
we went out latter that morning ,nothing changed in room when we got back,the beds were the only thing made,but the sheets were never changed!!!!! it was disgusting!!!!! had to request from front desk bath tissue & towels,Services were HORRIBLE!!!!,its nice that they put a dryer and iron to use(brought our own) but the iron board cover was all stained.
We had to park 1 block over,public parking ( we had no problems there ),
there was no parking at the hotel only the valet $25, which we seen the valet do a burnout with car below our window the day after,didn't use anything in hotel,we wanted to see as much as we could, walking around was great & drove other places around St.Louis beautiful,so much more to the story of how our stay was , the only good thing out of staying here was the view / food & super great service at the restaurant,as far as everything els, forget it!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple