“My favorite theater in the world”
Review of The Fox Theatre

The Fox Theatre
Ranked #7 of 270 things to do in Saint Louis
More attraction details
Owner description: The Fabulous Fox Theatre first opened in 1929 as a movie palace in William Fox's motion picture empire. The theatre was reopened in 1982, and today it is one of the most exquisite venues in the country to enjoy live touring Broadway shows, concerts, and comedians. We hope you'll visit us for an upcoming show or one of our guided tours!
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I am not the most cosmopolitan of travelers by far, however I have never been in any theater before that feels so captivating from the moment you first step inside. The granduer is indescribable. You feel as though you have stepped into an unexpected, elegant, hidden world... the perfect setting for whatever spectacle may arrive on stage.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

History you can sit in and enjoy. Built in 1929 and restored in the 80's and last year, this is a fabulous pantheon of gilt, marble, byzantine and Siamese and a tremendous place to see a play, musical, show or performance.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

We came to St. Louis for the specific purpose of seeing the musical "Once" at the Fox Theatre. And we were not disappointed. The show was wonderful, and the theatre is gorgeous. It is an old theatre that has been restored. The amount of detail and ornamentation is just tremendous.

We got our tickets through StubHub, so I can't really speak to the level of service for the theatre's own box office, but the ushers and other employees were encountered were courteous and knowledgeable. It appeared there were drinks, and perhaps some food, available for purchase, but we didn't buy anything, so I can't speak to quality, prices or service in that regard, but be aware it might be an option for you if you visit.

We stayed in downtown St. Louis near the arch, and took a cab to/from the theatre. The cab ride (not including tip) was around $12 each way. While we had made arrangements for the same cab to get us after the show, it appeared there were a few cabs waiting when the show got over so we would have been okay not making plans with our cab. While the distance from downtown is walkable, I wouldn't recommend it after dark, nor would I recommend it in dress clothes.

The area that the theatre was in was pretty busy with other nightlife, so it felt pretty safe when we got there a bit before 8pm and left around 10:30pm. There was a police officer there for awhile afterwards directing traffic, and checking on patrons to make sure they were waiting for rides and not just loitering.

I wore a dress, my boyfriend wore slacks and a button down shirt, and we felt completely comfortable in that attire.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

I've been here a few times now. Once to see Jim Gaffigan and the other to watch the Lion King musical. Both times were spectacular. I recently learned that this place was almost torn down.....crazy! It is absolutely breathtaking inside. You should definitely come here for a show

Reviewed 16 April 2014

The most well preserved beautiful building. Takes you back in time. Most recent show I saw there was We Will Rock You with music by Queen. Fantastic play/concert. It's a play but with all the great music a concert as well. It was a matinee and there were many senior citizens there. I assumed they might be season ticket holders who just came because they had the tickets, however I was wrong. Many of the people in their late 60's, 70's and probably 80's were rocking out to Queen music. Had their hands in the air waving them on "We Are The Champions" song. I'm not a spring chicken but had no idea the music would be timeless. What ever the show you choose to attend you will not be disappointed with the acoustics and just the feeling that you've attended a historical and elegant building as well.