“Nice update Lobby, deceptive when it comes to the room.”

Courtyard St Louis Downtown West
Ranked #48 of 124 Hotels in Saint Louis
Reviewed 15 August 2012

The staff was helpful, with directions and places to go. However, most of the time when I went to the lobby no-one was at the front desk, and I had to wait a few minutes. Not sure if they had a system in place that could see a customer waiting, it just felt strange. I prefer a nice room vs a lobby because thats where I spend most of my time when I'm not out. The towels were so hard and old I started to go to Wal-mart to buy some. The room did not have a clean smell that I would expect from a Marriott hotel. The elevator was noisy, seem like some repairs are needed. I liked the GPS system in the lobby on the wall and the location is good. I was too scared to take a bath so I took a shower because you can tell that housekeeping just do the minimum. The worse experience was my towels had old blood stains on them. I would have rated this hotel higher if it wasn't for the towels, musty smelling room and housekeeping knocking on my door at 9 o'clock to clean the room. I would like to point out I met an employer who said he loves his job and that the employees and employer are good people to work for! I hope they do some updates to the rooms, get some new towels and I might give them another chance if I get a good rate.

I

Room Tip: Higher floor usually have a good view.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 29 July 2012

We stayed there last night. The room was decent and the bed was comfortable. The elevator does make noise when it opens and closes. We were woken up around 430am when we saw a cockroach crawling on a wall by the bed. It was quite a huge roach. We got ready as soon as we could. I informed the front lady about the incident and requested a call from management. I haven't heard from them as of this evening. This is obviously disappointing considering that my wife and I love the Courtyard brand. If you are looking for a nice hotel downtown, there are plenty others that I will choose in the future.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank guyscholar
Reviewed 24 July 2012

Had a free night and we were in town for a Cubs/Cards game. The lobby is nicely updated but once you get to your room, it is sadly needing a remodel. The a/c unit is noisy and the management must control the thermostat in the middle of the night because it got very hot in the room. Pillows were bad--my husband and I tossed ad turned all night. Front desk staff was very helpful and courteous. Parking is free but it is not really close to walk anywher. Cab to downtown is $10 each way. While the bistro breakfast sounds delicious, it is microwaved egg sandwiches. Why spend $8 for a breakfast sandwich you can get at Subway or McDonalds for 3 bucks?

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Grey_Goose_Up
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Went to St Louis for a James Taylor concert July 19, 2012. Stayed at this hotel. Room was comfortable. Internet access did not work entire time we were there, 3 days! Had to find a McDonalds to use ipad! Requested drinking glasses that room cleaning person failed to change out, never delivered. Elevator made a horrible rumbling sound every time we used it. On the positive side. Close to many attractions, free parking and friendly staff.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Tulsatraveler32
Reviewed 12 July 2012

Great location. Lobby and restaurant were good. Nice courtyard area to sit outside. Rooms need to be updated to marriott's standards. Showing some wear. Staff friendliness made up for shortcomings in room updates.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Joan C
Reviewed 1 July 2012

Large room, really nice quality hotel. The room was updated, very nice and large. We were hoping to be a little closer to the Arch, but it ended up that we drove anyway. The breakfast is not free and it is actually kind of pricey. There is a cafe in the lobby that is really nice and has plenty of options. A couple of kids had cereal, one had a BLT breakfast sandwich, I had tea. They serve Tazo tea and Starbuck's coffee. I consider this an upscale hotel and it presents as such. Free parking, good location, great hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank omahajg
Reviewed 22 June 2012

Stayed 2 nights on the way from Chicago IL to Springfield MO. I won't say that the hotel is in downtown but considering that you need a car to go to anywhere then it doesn't matter. Union Station is only 5 blocks but nothing to see there as many shops were out of business. Rooms and lobby are just standard Courtyard Marriott but was disappointed with the front desk staffs, guess they missed the hospitality class during training :(

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family