“Not worth the long walks”

Courtyard St Louis Downtown West
Ranked #57 of 121 Hotels in Saint Louis
Tulsa
“Not worth the long walks”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

My brother and I go to St Louis a couple times every year and usually stay right downtown within a couple blocks of Busch Stadium. We've been doing this for a couple decades now and normally have great experiences. This experience was neither bad nor great, just very, very, very, average. Which would have been just fine if we would have only had to pay an average price to stay just barely on the edge of downtown. We apparently waited too long to get our room reserved for our first trip this year and had to settle on a place where we had never stayed and much further from the stadium than we ever had. We were willing to accept the fact that we waited too long and had stay a lot further than normal from Busch, and even willing to accept the fact that we were going to get "gouged" on the price with the hope that the hotel was worth the gouging.
Well, it wasn't. The staff was plenty nice when we arrived and informed us that they didn't have a shuttle but there was one that a bar across the street operated. Keep in mind that we are used to staying at the Hyatt and Crowne Plaza, right near the Stadium, so we had become pretty spoiled with great service and accommodations. We opened our room door and walked in to probably the smallest "suite" I'd ever seen. The bathroom was extremely small and the bathroom door squeaked more loudly than I'd heard probably any door squeak. There was no complimentary breakfast, or at least no one told us that there was, and absolutely nothing setting this place apart from any place else, other than charging us more than $100 per night higher than the super nice hotels right by the stadium.
I'm sure they probably figured out that they had the only couple rooms left and thought they would take advantage of some real baseball fans and charged them about 4 times what that room should have cost, since real fans will sacrifice costs to support the team they have supported for over 40 years. Sacrificing costs to pay for something that is worth the money is one thing, but to get taken advantage of is completely another. I don't believe I've felt this way in quite some time. Having to pay almost $600 for a 2 night stay in a room that, at the most, was worth $89 a night. And this evaluation is from someone who stays in hotels all over the country about 100 nights a year.
By the way, we never could hook up with the bar's shuttle, so we had to walk almost 2 miles to get to the stadium.
Like I said, the hotel is fine. Very average, but not worth over $250 a night. We'd stay there again if it was much, much, much less expensive. But this experience will definitely make me make certain that I don't wait too long next time to get my room reservations handled.
Looking forward to going back to our normal, "very much worth it" hotels next time.
Again, the staff was fine and the cleaning crew were very nice. But, we got hosed!!!

Room Tip: reserve your room wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy in advance.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Ron W, General Manager at Courtyard St Louis Downtown West, responded to this review, 20 April 2014
Dear Matt M,

Thank you for taking the time to give feedback regarding your stay. I am sorry that you felt your stay was not worth the money you had to pay. Our rates were high during that period due to the high demand for rooms in the market, there was a lot of activity in the city. Our rates are affected directly by this demand as are the rates at other hotels. As a general strategy we are priced in the middle of the market and are usually about $30-40 below most of the larger full service hotels. We take pride in making sure we give the service required to make every guests stay a good one and again I apologize that we did not meet your expectations.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Checked in late--stressed, exhausted and in need of rest. Couldn't use the sink. It was clogged and water would not drain. I was tired and not about to call and then wait for a plumber to show up at that late hour. I usually choose Marriott properties because I don't have to worry about these things--but I was wrong! So manager, if you read this, please know that your reputation rides on taking care of these essential details. The customer may not complain or call to report problems because they just want to sleep, but they remember things like clogged sinks the next time they ask the office to book rooms for business travel.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Ron W, General Manager at Courtyard St Louis Downtown West, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
I apologize for your inconvenience of the clogged sink during your stay. We do try and eliminate these issues by preventive maintenance 4 times a year on each room. During this process the drains are zip cleaned. Unfortunately sometimes a main will get clogged and we are unaware until it is noticed by a guest or a houskeeper cleaning the room. It is our intention that every stay is a problem free one.
Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

Comfortable beds..very friendly and helpful guest services.there was a very faint odds now in my room, kind of like armpit, but for $52 a night from Priceline no complaints here :-) ..................................

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank e_isforeffort
Thank you for your feedback and we are happy that you enjoyed your stay.
Apple Valley, Minnesota
Reviewed 31 March 2014

This hotel was more than met the eye when we arrived. When we pulled in the parking lot the hotel looked much smaller than I had expected. But when we walked into the lobby I was pleasantly surprised! The decor was updated and we were greeted by two of the friendliest front desk employees I have ever had! They were extremely helpful and voluntarily gave some suggestions on what to do while visiting St. Louis. The complimentary breakfast was much more than a couple muffins and some runny eggs like most hotels have. They had a made to order menu that you could select your meal from! Anything from a breakfast sandwich, french toast to oatmeal! The staff was friendly no matter where you were in the hotel. The housekeepers, maintenance employees and restaurant staff would greet you with a smile and a hello everytime you passed them in the hallways. The room was a good size! It was clean and the shower had excellent water pressure with plenty of hot water! You couldn't beat the location! It was walking distance from the Metro Link which will take you anywhere in downtown. We will definitely stay here again!!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Tracy E
Thank you for your response and I am very happy to read the nice comments you stated regarding our staff. We realize you have plenty of options when choosing where to stay and our staff knows that customer service is the key to gaining loyal customers that come back over and over.
Sugar Land, Texas
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We have stayed at this hotel many times over the years and always find it comfortable. A couple of the counter people have been with the hotel since we started staying there in February 2008 and always acknowledge our return. Usually select a 1-bedroom suite as we enjoy the extra space. Breakfast is always good and again, a couple of the workers have been there for years. Easy location to go for a run to either the Arch or to Forest Park.

This hotel is excellent for the money and location but cannot give it a 5 star rating because it is not in that class of 5 star hotels.

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms are always preferred.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FormerExpat2014
Glad to see that our staff makes your feel welcome each time you come to St. Louis. Safe travels.
Iowa, Louisiana
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Checking in was easy and actually enjoyable. Marvin at the front desk has to be the happiest person we know. He was so friendly and helpful with any thing we asked or needed. Housekeepers do a excellent job in cleaning. Rooms were nice and comfortable. Every staff member we saw was super friendly. We did not use the pool but looked clean and nice. One downside here is no free breakfast. It would be nice to have at least free coffee and roll in the lobby.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank buddy2350
Guest service like you received is the primary reason Marvin is now our Assistant General Manager. I was glad to read your comments and hope we are able to provide you excellent customer service going forward. I am confident with Marvin training new staff that his attitude and commitment will rub off and make all of our staff service champions.
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 10 February 2014

This is the type of review that's a pleasure to write. It's not often that a hotel accomplishes everything that I expected. In all honesty, I'm hard-pressed to think of a single criticism.

I selected this hotel because it was the cheapest option within walking distance to Scottrade Center (roughly 15-20 minutes away by foot). For under $100 a night, I wasn't expecting much. Pulling up to the property, I was surprised to find that the hotel is set up much like a suburban property with a regular parking lot (versus a garage). Parking was free, and the hotel itself is only 4 floors tall. It honestly looks rather out of place. With this setup, you essentially get all of the benefits of a suburban property with the convenience of being in the city. It's worth mentioning that the majority of destinations in downtown are well outside of walking distance. The only option you'd have, short of driving or taking a cab, would be to walk roughly 10 minutes down the street to the Metrolink light rail station. Doable, but not super-convenient. However, if the rates are reasonable, it may well be worth it. This hotel is really best suited to someone who wants to stay in the city and also needs their car.

The service was absolutely outstanding. It started with the front desk staff, who welcomed and joked around with us as soon as we came in the door. As we walked to the room, a janitor who happened to be in the hallway looked over and smiled at us and took the time to welcome us to St. Louis. Later on, another staff member joked around with me as I was getting ice. Little things like this make a huge difference. While we only stayed 1 night, every person we encountered was an absolute pleasure.

We found the room to be well appointed and clean with a comfortable bed. Pretty much a standard hotel room, but better than I expected it to be given the price.

Overall, I was surprised, maybe shocked, to see a middle-of-the-road hotel go so far out of its way to make our stay enjoyable. I wasn't expecting anything special, but now have a hotel that I'd recommend to anyone staying in the area. Props to the management for keeping everyone so motivated and insuring that our stay was fantastic.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Missouri2Mexico
Ron W, General Manager at Courtyard St Louis Downtown West, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Thank you for the flattering review of our hotel. We take pride in giving excellent service as we know guests have many options to choose from and we are glad that you found us. It is true that we are one of only a couple downtown properties that offer free parking and wi-fi. We hope to see you in your future travels to St. Louis.