“Clean, nice, good breakfast. Good value near downtown St Louis.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Courtyard St Louis Downtown West

Courtyard St Louis Downtown West
Ranked #59 of 121 Hotels in Saint Louis
Oklahoma City
“Clean, nice, good breakfast. Good value near downtown St Louis.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2007

We stayed at the Courtyard Mariott for three nights- Memorial Day weekend. It was good overall. The room was clean, but the mattress really needed to be replaced. I had a backache from the sagging mattress all weekend.

The staff was friendly for the most part. The housekeeping attendant for our floor saw us in the hall one day and asked if we needed anything and I mentioned we needed a blanket and she got it. She brought it in late that afternoon w/o knocking. The next day she saw us in the hall again and asked if we needed anything. I said no, so she took that as the OK to not clean our room at all. I wasn't impressed with that.

They had a special going to pay $10 extra for the room and get free breakfast buffets. We took advantage of that, and the food and service were good. They were quite busy each morning, but worked extra hard to get everyone taken care of.

We never got a chance to check out the pool & hot tub since it was so busy. They really could use a bigger pool, or two pools for a hotel this size.

The man working the front desk when we checked in told us about a shuttle we could catch across the street at Syberg's (the restaurant at the Hampton) that would take us to and from the Cardinals games for $2 each way. We took advantage of that.

Parking was free at this hotel, and it's less than 1/2 mile from Union Station, where there are lots of stores and restaurants. But it is a couple of miles from everything else downtown & from the Arch.

• Liked — Free parking, relatively close to downtown.
  • Disliked — Lumpy, saggy mattress.
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled with family
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
2 Thank okiehel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
St. Louis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2007

there are to many words to describe this incredible hotel. happy people. make me feel at home. i stay there everytime i go to st. louis

• Liked — everything was incredible
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled on business
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank adamsk25
Grosse Pointe Farms, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2006

The Courtyard staff was polite and helpful but the physical plant was shockingly poor. The bed was uncomfortable, the sheets were uncomfortable (scratchy and poor quality), the towels could have been used as sandpaper, and the rooms had little to no sound-proofing. We could hear the TV excessively from the next room even though it was set at a reasonable level - I haven't been in a room with such poor sound-proofing for at least 10 years. The shower provided hot water, to a large extent, but did not provide an even temperature throughout the shower. I would not stay at this Courtyard again and I'm not sure I will stay at any Courtyard in the future.

• Stayed February 2006
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank schmidtjc
Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2005

We just returned from a stay at the Courtyard by Marriott Downtown. Our reservation was made by a friend who owns a business and lives in St. Louis. I was a little nervous since I had not made our own reservations, but I knew our friend has good taste! It was easy to get to and just a few blocks from Union Station with the Arch in the distance.
Check in went quickly, but my husband, who went in to take care of it, said the front desk person was a little short, but he thought it was mainly due to the reduced rate we received through our friend. We were able to find a convenient parking spot very close to the side entrance. Our room was on the first floor and happened to be handicap accessible. This actually worked out well since the bathroom was very large. We liked the shower with a regular sprayer and also a hand-held one. The hotel seemed to be recently remodeled. The carpet, furnishings and bedding all looked to be new. There were no worn spots in this room! I am a light sleeper and was pleased that the hotel was very quiet. We did run the fan on the AC for white noise, but we did not experience noisy neighbors, slamming doors, parking lot noise, etc. that are sometimes heard when staying in hotels.
We walked to Union Station for dinner. It was a nice walk other than it was HOT. The Grand Hall there is unbelievable! It had been several years since we had visited, but it certainly hadn't lost any opulence. We ate at Hard Rock Cafe, looked at the train cars and shopped a little.
We had Cardinals tickets for Sunday and wanted to go to the Arch before the game, so we were up at 7. We ate the buffet provided by the hotel. Like the other post said, I also was a little disappointed that it wasn't complimentary. The food was very good, though, and we had many offerings which are sometimes not found on free buffets. It was also convenient to eat there and not have to search for a restaurant when you are not too familiar with downtown St. Louis.
Courtyard did not have views like some of the riverfront hotels, but the quality we received was great and we did not have to fight to find parking. We would stay again.

• Stayed June 2005
7 Thank Waverunner
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2005

The Courtyard at the Marriot Downtown served as an excellent respite between wedding weekend events. As out-of-town guests joining other wedding attendees staying at the Courtyard, my friends and I appreciated hotel personnel charging the wedding weekend rate for the duration of our stay, a factor that will contribute to my return the next time I visit St. Louis.
Employees at the front desk were friendly, although I was surprised they didn’t explain the location of my room, and I ended up wandering around for a little while before finding it. I was pleased to see complimentary copies of The Wall Street Journal and River Front Times (RFT), a free newspaper detailing local events, eateries and entertainment venues available around the corner from the front desk. The hotel also displays a variety of business card-sized brochures for local activities and sight-seeing possibilities, a more convenient alternative to shuffling through a stack of bulky pamphlets. Employees also distributed St. Louis visitor guide magazines to those guests who made inquiries.
My standard double room was well lit and the temperature was easily regulated, never too warm or chilly. A writing desk and chair, armchair, chest of drawers and large television added to the comfort of the room, which was simultaneously cheerful and relaxing. The bedspreads were rich and colorful, and the walls were decorated with attractive art. Plenty of towels and soaps prevented trips to the front desk for extras, and an iron and board, hairdryer and coffeemaker were convenient. The sink was conveniently placed outside the bathroom, which came in handy when two of my friends and I were getting ready for scheduled events. The water pressure and temperature were always perfect.
The key cards for the room and building did not work with consistency, and even after a trip to the front desk, I ran into problems. However, a plumbing issue in the bathroom was quickly remedied by an employee, in spite of the late hour. The back entrances to the building were secure and well lit.
I was disappointed there was no complimentary breakfast. The CY Buffet is priced at $8.95 and includes scrambled eggs, bacon, fresh fruit, buttermilk biscuits with sausage gravy, breakfast pastries, fresh fruit, yogurt, hot and cold cereal, juice, coffee and do-it-yourself waffles and syrup. The waiter was very attentive to diners by clearing plates and refilling glasses. The CY Buffet is the priciest item on the menu, and other selections include a more stream-lined version of the buffet and eggs made to order. The dining room off the lobby is open and spacious.
A store with bottled beverages and snacks are available near the front desk. Nearby is a coffee bar area, limited to morning hours, adjacent to a fireplace lounge ideal for reading, chatting with fellow travelers or waiting for a breakfast companion. It flows into another lounge area with a big-screen television.
A quaint gazebo in the courtyard is an ideal spot to gather with friends during the day or evening. An outdoor area with tables and chairs is outside the pool, which is enclosed. Hours are available by calling the front desk, and were given as 10 a.m.-10 p.m. during my stay. Other activities required I leave the hotel earlier and return later than the hours given, which prevented my use of the pool. I would like to see an earlier opening time in the future.
Front desk employees were helpful with driving directions. Meanwhile, the guest guide in the room listed a number of restaurants with descriptions, delivery hours and accepted forms of payment. Orders were delivered directly to my door, and I wish more hotels would follow the Courtyard’s example by including such detailed dine-in choices. The one small trash can was definitely not sufficient after an evening of ordering in for three guests, and it would be better to have one large trash can and a smaller one for the bathroom/sink area.
The proximity of the hotel to popular tourist attractions like the Arch, visible from the parking lot, combined with the comfort of the hotel and courtesy of its staff, make the Courtyard Downtown a natural lodging choice for a weekend in St. Louis.

17 Thank A TripAdvisor Member