“Decent Stay”

Ranked #75 of 121 Hotels in Saint Louis
Ames, Iowa
“Decent Stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013 via mobile

Friendly front desk, comfortable beds, and clean rooms. Little noisy next to the freeway and could hear someone in the next door room coughing all night. Besides the noise it was good for a one night stay.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank TheRoyalChief
IHGCare, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Forest Park, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Dear TheRoyalChief,

Thank you for posting a review of our hotel. We are glad to hear you found the rooms clean and the bed to your liking. It is regrettable your stay was negatively impacted by the noise challenges you experienced. If there is anything we can do to make your next stay more comfortable, please do not hesitate to ask the Manager on Duty.

Thank you again for your comments.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Nixa, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

All the staff I interacted with were very helpful and friendly. The lobby is clean and modern, but the elevator to the upper levels is tucked further back in the hotel and not easy to find--a little more signage would be helpful. Fresh cookies at the front desk are a nice hospitality item. The room was large, clean, and had some lovely framed prints from the 1904 World's Fair which is really nice in comparison to some of the generic art you see at other hotels. Bathroom was a little small but clean. WiFi signal was very strong which was great since i was in town for work. I got the breakfast package included with my room so I was able to have a lovely breakfast in the downstairs restaurant; my server (Derek) was very friendly and attentive.

Cons: thin walls. The hotel is very close to I-44, so there was a lot of road noise throughout the night. Also, I could hear the person in the room next to me snoring. My bed was very comfortable but those two items made it hard to get a good night's sleep.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the side opposite of the interstate.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank heywood417
Houston
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

We spent several nights at this hotel and it was convenient to most everything we wanted to do in St. Louis. The housekeeping could be improved. Throughout our stay the same cheerio remained on the floor from previous occupant. Housekeeping did not seem to include vacuuming or dusting. Otherwise room was clean. The pool was nice. The location is close to many nice Italian restaurants in the area known as "The Hill"

Room Tip: Choose a poolside room with a balcony on side away from freeway
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jeannine77055
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

You have to ask for a refridgerator, and beware as you may not get a working one, or even one at all. Ours didnt work for a couple hours and had to thrw out 5 lunchables I brought for my daughter. Also they have sensors on thermostat so we always returned to a hot room. Breakfat is a joke and is $8 if you want a continental breakfast. Worst part of stay was that housekeeping didnt clean our room at all. Reading other reviews this is a common occurence. Staff didnt even apologize just said they would talk to her and would take out trash and bring towels after I told them I wanted them to . We should have been comensated for that part of our stay as the sign in the bathroom clearly states. Expecially since we did pay for it right? Or at least a free breakfast would have been nice .So dissapointed it was the worst part of our trip. :-(

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Saint Louis hotels

Greentop, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2013

This is an older hotel, which was not a problem as I was traveling alone. The people at the front desk were very personable and helpful. They knew the area well and had suggestions on places to visit and best routes. My problem was with the maid staff on my floor. I did not need my linens changed each day, and I did straighten my sheets, but it would have been nice if they had made the bed. I like to be spoiled a little bit. My trash was dumped each day but I had to ask for conditioner as those items were not replenished. The next day, I left my towels folded on the floor. It has been very hot, so after four showers I was ready for clean ones. When I returned the old towels were still on the floor, the bed remained unmade, and clean towels had been placed on the rack over a wet floor mat which I had hung up to dry. Very disappointed in housekeeping.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Forest Park, responded to this review, 20 September 2013
Dear MCollins22,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. Your satisfaction is important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. Please remain assured that we have recorded your comments and will forward it to the appropriate departments for future considerations.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare
Springfield, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

I've recently stayed at this hotel twice in the last two months. One for a week in July, the other on August 24 for one night. The front desk is very accommodating and handles situations amazingly which is what I base my experience on. This hotel is in an amazing location! Close to The Hill which we frequented the majority of the stay. I'm the type of person that always looks at the glass half full. Here's why the stay was amazing:
1.) When we arrived we were greeted well and felt welcomed. Even though last Saturday we arrived early and our rooms weren't clean,(our fault not the hotels-the standard check in time is posted everywhere) and just gave us rooms that had already been clean so we could go ahead and check in.
2.) The rooms are very well maintained and clean. Yes you could tell the hotel has been there a while, but they have done an excellent job keeping it from looking run down.
3.) We had a problem with the shower tub flooding every night except the last night that we stayed in the hotel in July. We went down the the front desk and explained to them what was going on. And the lady and gentlemen working the front desk told us they were aware of the problem and was currently being fixed. (meaning situation out of their control) They told us we had two options, we could move to different rooms and be far apart or keep the same rooms. We choose to keep the same rooms and they gave us free breakfast for the trouble. Awesome!
FYI: going back in august the issue is not there anymore :)
4.) Check out was smooth and they really seemed to care if we had a great time.
Bottom line is the hotel listened, cared, and was clean which is all I care about when traveling. Keep and open mind when traveling and realize the vacation is what you make it not what you can get out of it.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Faith K
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

My husband and I stayed here on a Saturday night, using points from his priority club membership. The desk person, Louis, was very hospitable and gave us a room on the top floor from the highway.

The hotel is a much older Holiday Inn which could not be disguised even with newer furnishings. Our bathroom was very small with a tiny vanity and the toilet next to it was kind of sitting sideways in the space. The air vent in the bathroom did not work. Everything in the bedroom was neat and clean; the hotel is just dated. We had a very quiet night which was great.

I didn't really feel we were in a safe area, so we parked right in front of the hotel and didn't experience any safety concerns.

Room Tip: Request a room on the south side of the hotel which is away from the highway.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple