“Excellent place to stay”

Drury Inn St. Louis at Union Station
Ranked #6 of 121 Hotels in Saint Louis
Reviewed 25 October 2013

We stay here frequently when there's a late concert or show we're attending. We're never disappointed. The hotel is an old YMCA from the "Train Days" and the basic structure of the hotel means there are pillars throughout to support the floors. Because of this, the rooms are not all standard. Most recently, our room was pretty much wall-to-wall bed. There was room for a chair and the entertainment center but no desk or anything else. One other time, we got an inside room with no window (a bit confining - ask about that).

Most of the time, the rooms are decent sized. Every room, no matter what size, is very clean. Service is always outstanding. The "kick off" at 5:30 features decent food (varies by day) and cocktails/wine/beer. It's also free. There is a pretty full free breakfast and free covered parking. Although we never visited, the swimming pool and whirlpool look inviting.

There are a few places nearby for entertainment and dining but not a lot. If you're attending a concert at Scott Trade, it's an easy walk.

Overall, it's a place I recommend.

Room Tip: Be sure you say you want a room with a window. There are a few that make me feel like I'm in a s...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank John K

Reviewed 20 October 2013

We enjoyed a short stay at this hotel. Nice, clean and comfortable, and we had the pleasure of a complimentary breakfast, relatively unusual in the US and welcome. Bonuses, if you appreciate railway history, are the beautiful scale models on display in the hotel, and the redeveloped Union Station train shed next door.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bDCmo
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Loved this hotel ,formerly an old YMCA but now completely refurbished.Rooms large with king size bed and very clean.Best of all you get a free happy hour each night with 3free drinks and much munches and in the morning a free breakfast.Excellent value in an excellent location.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 October 2013

We chose this hotel based on a previous stay at the Drury Inn location near The Arch in St. Louis. Both hotels were excellent and exceeded our expectations. We were treated well in every way and love the included breakfast and dinners. While not gourmet, everything was tasty and there was a great variety of items with something to please everyone. The added amenity of 2 free alcoholic beverages per person per night was much appreciated as well. No complaints about this hotel and would definitely recommend this property to visitors in the St. Louis area looking for a hotel that is something out of the ordinary--in a very positive way!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank mitravel206
Reviewed 20 September 2013

I had this hotel booked for me for a business trip I took on Sept 17. It doesn't look like much from the outside but don't let that deceive you. This hotel was a beautifully updated little piece of history. It originally served as the Railroad YMCA, which makes sense since it sits directly across from Union Station that was once the largest passenger rail terminal in the world. You can see the old tile from the YMCA in the entrance facing Union Station. The hotel was beautiful inside and you would never guess that the building was originally constructed in 1907. The rooms are very up to date and comfortable. Everything I could have needed was included with my room, including breakfast, free wifi, and FREE HAPPY HOUR. Yep, free drinks in the lobby from 5:30-7 with snacks included. The front desk attendant was on top of everything too, as was all of the hotel staff we came into contact with. While attending my conference I was there for, I received a message on my hotel phone from the front desk making sure that everything was satisfactory. I don't know if I'll ever see St. Louis again but if that occurs I will most definitely choose this hotel. Although the company I was there for paid for my room, the cost was well below what I would have ever expected given everything that was included.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank bjbvic
Reviewed 13 September 2013

We went by train to St. Louis recently with a group of cub scouts. The "mission" was to experience the City Museum (which is ALSO fantastic). The person arranging the trip grew up in St. Louis and had us booked into the Drury Inn near the train depot.

This hotel was built originally as a YMCA to house men who built Union Station! It was converted by Drury Inn with attention to preserving historical beauty of the building, while modernizing it. They succeeded in making a very comfortable hotel that has more character than most.

I also want to comment that the staff goes out of their way to make your stay enjoyable. I was impressed particularly with Freddie at the front desk. He moved to St. Louis from San Antonio a number of years ago and fell in love with St. Louis. His enthusiasm is catching!

The price is right for a great value in a VERY comfortable hotel! Bravo!

Room Tip: Call the hotel directly -- their staff is excellent and will surpass the help from Drury's reser...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Doug W
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We stayed there in mid-August. While there wasn't much going on in the city at that time & Union Station itself is lacking retail shops, this hotel & staff are beyond phenomenal. Everyone was extremely friendly and helpful & tried their hardest to suggest places to go & do. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would definitely go back. I cannot say enough of the staff.

• Stayed: August 2013