“A nice hotel”

Drury Inn St. Louis at Union Station
Ranked #7 of 121 Hotels in Saint Louis
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We stayed at this hotel in March this year and found it to be a delightful place. The rooms were quite large and the bed really comfortable. We were surprised with a complmentary dinner when we arrived which included 3 drinks each and were even more surprised that we were also given a complmentary buffet breakfast. A comfortable and friendly hotel with easy acess to Union Station and several local bars. Very enjoyable ...

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Peter G
There are newer reviews for Drury Inn St. Louis at Union Station

Reviewed 6 April 2014

I have been staying in St. Louis since my husband is a patient at Barnes-Jewish Hospital. I stayed at a hotel very close to the hospital and even though I was getting a discount for Barnes, it was basically just a room. The hotel I had been staying at was booked throughout the weekend and I decided to call around, I stumbled upon the Drury by Union Station by chance and I am extremely glad I did. I got a room for myself at a great rate and had a delicious dinner from restaurant downstairs.

The atmosphere of the lobby is amazing! I was so intrigued by this historical building and was quite impressed! My room was clean and the bed was comfy. The room was smaller than some I've been in but I loved the room nonetheless. When I went back to see my husband in the hospital I told him several times how impressed I was with this hotel.

The staff was fantastic and helpful. The evening snacks and breakfast just added to the value of this hotel. I will be back!! In fact I will be staying there Sunday night!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Michelle S
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Stayed at this hotel while in town visiting SLU. Overall a mixed bag for the stay. The good: Very comfortable bed...fantastic breakfast (including a bit of improv comedy from a manager making jokes about a recent pipe burst then referring to his dry humor)...good sized room...convenient location. The Bad: iron was covered in dust...found food and candy wrappers under cushions when opening pull out...room #400 was right by ice machine and elevator making it a noisy night...wifi was intermittent...around 8p in the lobby a large group of individuals gathered several tables and made a makeshift bar of sorts with a substantial amount of hard liquor and whisky bottles. The appeared to be using the free soft drinks as mixers. I am assuming they were guests but my children were afraid to go near the lobby as the group was very loud and cursing. Some really great stuff and some not so great stuff gets 3 stars.

Room Tip: Whatever you do...DO NOT stay in room #400
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
DruryHotels, General Manager at Drury Inn St. Louis at Union Station, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your honest feedback. We appreciate hearing from our guests, as we use your comments to help improve our product and services. Our guests and their experiences are our number 1 priority. The pipe burst was an unfortunate incident, and we are happy we could provide a bit of humor. I have shared the information about your room with our housekeeping team to improve our quality. And I am truly sorry to hear that your children were not able to utilize our soft drinks in the evening. We want our guests to feel comfortable utilizing our public spaces, but not at the expense of others. Any time you have a concern during a stay at a Drury hotel, please let our management team know, so we can correct the situation right away. We want our guests to have a positive and memorable experience.

I hope your visit to SLU went well and look forward to hosting you again on future visits!

John O.

Reviewed 28 March 2014

We stayed at this hotel from Sat, Mar 22 thru Wed, Mar 26 for a spring break getaway. In our group were two families of four (kids ages from 7-11 yrs). We booked reservations in advance through the hotel and received an ESaver rate which was great. Free garage parking, WiFi, full hot breakfast, popcorn/soda, and the 5:30 "Kickback" dinner was all fabulous (and FREE). The hotel staff was EXTREMELY nice, professional, and very helpful. Even the custodial & food staff was very friendly. Our rooms were clean. Knowing we had two double beds rather than queen beds, we knew that our rooms would probably be on the smaller side (and they were), but the added recliner in the room came in handy as did the hidden microwave and fridge. The bath area did not allow for a private dressing area, but was arranged in such a way to provide good storage space. Our room was easy to regulate the temp and the hotel staff was nice enough to fulfill our recommendation of adjoining rooms with our other family. The indoor pool/hot tub was nice and visited by our children on numerous occasions with much delight. The only negative we have would be the slowness of the elevator, but being on the 3rd floor allowed us easy access to everything via stairs, so that wasn't much of a problem....only when loading and unloading did we have to wait on the elevator. The noise level was low although the hotel was packed due to the NCAA basketball tournaments going on in town that same weekend. The location of the hotel was perfect for us who were out everyday going to points of interest such as the Arch, City Museum, The Science Center, etc. I recommend this hotel and would stay here again.

Room Tip: We had a room which was interior and overlooked the pool. This was not in any way a problem; howeve...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

My husband, two friends, and myself stayed here on Halloween weekend after going to a party. The rooms were clean and the staff was friendly. It's a good place to get a room for the night and you can usually get decent rates. I would stay there again anytime.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 March 2014

For the money, it's an okay place to stay; however, there were so many basics missed at this hotel, that it's not getting a great rating in my review.

CONS:
The whole place felt dirty and was unbelievably disorganized. It smelled like an old folks home, and the halls and rooms were stuffy and smelled old. The carpets felt sticky in the room. The hotel redid the carpets in the hall while we were there, but there was no sign or anything and we had to literally throw our luggage across the spots they were redoing.

The elevators were disgusting--it looked like they hadn't been cleaned in months. There are two elevators in two different places in the hotel, and they go to different parts of the hotel. The front desk failed to tell us this, so we dragged our luggage to the wrong elevator and then carried it, at 2am, up a series of steps to get to the right part of the hotel.

The rooms felt cheap and old. The room was also incredibly poorly laid out - come on! There was a (disgusting) recliner chair literally NEXT to the bed, so there was no way to get out of the bed on that side. There was so much random furniture that the room felt completely cluttered and there was no place to put our luggage. I travel with three suitcases, and I had to move all the furniture in the room to even begin to unpack. The recliner chair was so disgusting--when I put a purse on it, a cloud of DUST erupted from the chair. Disgusting.

The shower floor was dirty and had FOOTPRINTS in it! The shower would randomly switch, during your shower, to the bathtub feature. It was hard to make the shower head run consistently for the duration of an entire shower. Modern bath appliances would help this situation.

When we checked in late at night, the front desk lady was disorganized and rude. I called down to the front desk to ask a question, and she literally hung up on me. I called back and she said, "What?" I understand it was late at night, but it was late for me too, and I was exhausted from the trip...decent customer service is an expectation at a major hotel chain in 2014. Although the other front desk staff were nicer as the week went by, they seemed a bit clueless and we often had to wait until one of them came to the desk from their "hang-out" spot in the back. Easy questions were hard for them to answer or they would just say they didn't know (i.e. "Is there a pizza delivery nearby?"). Yikes.

PROS:
There are plenty of outlets in the room, and the bed sheets were clean. There is a free cocktail hour with appetizers provided, which was wonderful. There is also a decent hot free breakfast offered. The restaurant in the hotel is fantastic and serves up some really unique dishes. I'd eat there if I wasn't staying in the hotel. The early evening front desk staff was cordial and helpful. Parking is free and there is coin laundry available. Microwaves and fridges in the room.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank LynnJD
DruryHotels, General Manager at Drury Inn St. Louis at Union Station, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your feedback. I am disappointed to hear that your experience with us was not up to our usual standards. We take great pride in providing exceptional customer service and it sounds like we missed some key points during your stay. We strive to provide the cleanest possible hotel to every guest no matter what time of day. Each of our guest rooms is unique, based upon the layout of our 107 year old historic property, and our goal is to provide each room with what the guest may need to make their stay more comfortable. I appreciate the feedback on our service and take your comments as a learning opportunity for our team members. We are very pleased that you enjoyed many of our amenities and enjoyed the hot food that we provide. I hope that you will join us at our property again in the future and give us another chance to prove our Drury hospitality.

John O.

Reviewed 27 February 2014

We stayed here for a Dance Convention in February. Our convention washeld across the street in Union Station and it was a very convenient location to walk to. As usual, Drury was a good value. Great breakfast, clean rooms, microwaves and fridges are always a part of the Drury Inn experience. I did not use the pool, but looked in and was clean, with fresh towels. Because the dancers had an early call, they opened breakfast a 1/2 hour early to serve all of them - most places would not have done that.

People should be aware that the parking garage is not attached to the building, so you have to unload and then move your car. There is no charge to park, like some of the neighboring hotels and Union Station. The passage to the garage is covered, in case of bad weather. It snowed off and on all weekend while we were there.They did an excellent job of keeping the walkways clear and ice free.

i would definitely stay again

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family