“Great place needs a little restoration.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Ste. Genevieve

Hotel Ste. Genevieve
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sainte Genevieve
Hotel Ste. Genevieve
midwest
“Great place needs a little restoration.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2011

This place is great. I love staying here.
It does needs a little restoration but has great location, price, staff, bar and restaurant. My friends and I love it!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank manfredMidwest

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Carbondale, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2010

I went the other weekend to Ste Genevieve just for fun, I like the area and like to explore the town on beautiful weekends. I live an hour away so it's a nice drive. Anyways, I normally go to the Anvil, great place, but wanted to try something different.

When I first walked in, the decor is rather tacky and old like the last poster said. But, I like down to earth places so I gave it a try. The menu had a VERY limited choice...fried chicken, grilled chicken, ham, and that's about it was the menu.

For an appetizer, I got chips and dip. I assumed this would be a spinach and artichoke dip or something like that. It was honest to God, generic ruffles, and let me explain the dip; KETCHUP AND FRENCH ONION DIP. That's it. It tastes terrible and is $2!! The salad is the kind out of the bag. It has just the dressing on it, and that's it. and it's a small portion.

The potatoes were obviously out of a box, and the gravy was probably a powdered kind. It was just not good....and I love mashed potatoes. The grilled chicken was basically one of the tyson patties kind. We were served rolls. Literally it was two rolls. It was the kind you buy already made and they just heated them up. You could tell where they had been pulled apart.

this whole meal, including drink? $13!!! It was terrible! My friend got the fried chicken and german potatoes. The potatoes were disgusting, and the chicken was mainly just fried breading. When she picked it up grease just dripped from it. I think she had maybe one bite and that is it. And somehow, my meal cost more than hers! She got two HUGE pieces of fried chicken, and I got a small grilled breast but mine cost more. Weird.

We did not get dessert. By that point I was honestly upset I was going to be charged so much for a terrible meal. I would have rather went to the anvil or gave some other cafe a try. I honestly got on this site and this is the first time I have ever wrote a review, but I had to complain about this place. It was terrible. The management needs to spend less money on tacky decor and more on real food. I know that cooking and such takes time, but why open and run a place and waste everyone's time if you're only going to put a half...you know...effort into a place and serve food out of a box?

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank jmbaker33
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2010

I liked this hotel....kind of. I liked it's charm. It was nice and old. However, it was kind of dirty...and gross...and didn't have wifi. And everything was leaking. And there were scratches on the door like someone had tried to barricade themselves in.
I had a dream an invisible being crawled into bed with me that night. The more I think about it the more I question if it was actually a dream or not. I think a ghost tried to spoon with me here. I'm not kidding.

• Stayed November 2009
1 Thank MBakerPhoto
Saint Louis, Missouri
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2010

Had the worst food I’ve ever had at a restaurant this weekend. We travelled to Ste. Genevieve to go to Pickle Creek Natural Area (beautiful) and then stopped into town for a bite to eat at the Hotel Ste. Genevieve Café. Wow. First things first – the décor is awful. The outside looks like an attempt at a French café. When we walked in there was old musty wood paneling (yes, the 1965 kind that’s definitely not French). The tables and chairs were straight out of the 1970s, again not French. There were terribly framed, cheesy, 1980s pictures on the wall of St. Louis attractions (what the heck are they thinking?!). There were only two couples in the whole place at the time we were there. It has a large dining area, so only seeing two couples was the first red flag. The waitress was nice, but she was serving food on one of those food service carts (like the ones used for busing tables in the high school cafeteria). Not French. They had 6 entries on the entire menu (there were a few appetizers; I think one was toasted ravioli??????). The menu was just odd. The things I could remember from the menu were Fried Chicken, Roasted Turkey, and Fried Ham Steak. Do any of those sound French? The sides were the worst…green beans, which were the canned kind that come from Sysco in a huge aluminum container (yes, the kind that have been recalled for botulism in the past), the mashed potatoes were supposed to be whipped, which is very misleading, but were boxed ready-make potatoes with a terrible chicken broth gravy (They weren’t real!!!). The house salad was a small plate of bagged mixed greens with no toppings aside from the dressing. The other sides were sauerkraut, fried livers, and dressing, which come with every entree. Those are German dishes, correct???

Maybe, just maybe, we came at a really bad time (Sunday afternoon), but that doesn’t make up for the schizophrenic menu and lack of identity that the “café” is suffering from. They really need to have a make-over, gain an identity, fire the head Chef (if they are an actual trained chef, which I entirely doubt), and market well.

By the looks of the town, there is such a need for good quality food. I am from St. Louis, which has over a million potential tourists to Ste. Genevieve. But nobody will come to visit but once to this place unless they have a palate of a four year old. I was sad to see the historic places were not well kept up. There is so much history that should be well-communicated! It seemed like the most populated areas were the "newer" parts of town with fast food. For a place that is in desperate need of cash, they need to market their historic district much better. (but also need to have some good management to get cash into historic refurbishment, which should be this town's number 1 priority)

Needless to say, we will never return to that place. I should have acted on my first instinct and got the heck out of there as soon as we walked in. As a side note, we ended up going to McDonalds right after leaving to get the kids something to eat, since they wouldn't eat the food.

Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank stlouistraveler44881
O'Fallon, Missouri
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2010

We had stayed at this hotel in 1998 and again in 2003 and had absolutely no complaints and were really looking forward to this trip (for 2 nights). This time was so different. First, they couldn't find the key to our room, then the restaurant was closed for the July 4 holiday, which we knew, but we expected it to be open for breakfast on July 5, but it wasn't. The bathtub had horrible mildew stains around it and the toilet and sink were either really dirty or really old and scratched. The room was in need of a major overhaul. Looked like someone vomited on the wall and there were some dead bugs on the wall. We went out and bought toilet paper for fear of running out because we didn't see a soul until late. The phone was unplugged and there were no instructions on how to make a call. I tried everything. There was a TV but it only had a few channels. When we went to check out, again no one was around, so I left the key with a note.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank VLSA22
midwest
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2010

I liked it. Very inexpensive. Friendly staff. Good food. Great bar. Great location. I'd stay there again. Like a Jim Jarmusch movie. Don't change a thing!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank manfredMidwest
Rolla, MO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2009

My fiance and I stopped in early this morning and after a HUGE breakfast weren't hungry but needed coffee!!! The waitress greeted us nicely. We sat and asked her some advise on places to look for wedding cakes. She went into the phone book, wrote out the man's number and took time to tell us about the facilities in the area. She also showed us where they do wedding receptions and gave us copies of menus to take home. When we sat back at the table after our short tour she gave us fresh coffee as ours was sitting for a bit (this she did even though our cups were still full) and she wished us luck and was back often enough that our cups stayed full.

Even though we only went in for coffee we left with more information about the area, a great place to have our reception (Hotel Ste Genevieve) and a comfortable place to enjoy a cup of coffee anytime we go back.

I am very excited to have my wedding reception there and look forward to trying more on the menu. Thanks to the wonderful lady that worked for us this morning. A cup of coffee can go a long way.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank QueenSoldier27
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sainte Genevieve
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Sainte Genevieve
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham...
#1 of 3 in Sainte Genevieve
#1 of 1 in Maeystown
Days Inn Perryville
Days Inn Perryville
#3 of 3 in Perryville

Been to Hotel Ste. Genevieve? Share your experiences!