“Pretty Good Wine, Fantastic Atmosphere”
Review of Cave Vineyard

Cave Vineyard
Saint Louis, Missouri
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Pretty Good Wine, Fantastic Atmosphere”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

My family recently visited Cave Vineyards (9 of us total) and really enjoyed our time. We were fortunate enough to be the first people in the cave, meaning we could set up our picnic using a couple of tables just inside the cave's entrance. The further in you go, the darker it gets with only minimal lighting (not that that's a bad thing, I think it only adds to the ambiance of the cave). The temperature difference between outside and inside the cave was probably a good 20 degrees. We absolutely loved our 3+ hours there, and we are planning on returning as a family very soon.

I wouldn't go out of my way to purchase Cave's wine at the store, but it was still above average and satisfied us all. I cannot say I'm much of a biscotti fan (too dry for me) but Cave's biscotti was actually pretty good (and the smells coming from the biscotti bar are dangerously tempting). Overall, I really enjoyed this place and would consider it my first stop among the Ste Genevieve area wineries.

One criticism: while the winery does not allow smoking in the cave, there aren't any employees in the cave to enforce this rule. Unfortunately, a person decided to start smoking a little ways down from us, which was a shame, especially since we had a few kids with us.

Finally, the walk isn't nearly as bad as some people make it out to be. Sure, I wouldn't want to walk up or down that hill if it were icy, but otherwise it's not a bad walk at all (I did it with stroller in one hand and a diaper bag and had no issues going up or down; plus, it's a chance to burn a few calories that you just packed on by drinking the wine!)

Visited July 2014
Laura15520, Owner at Cave Vineyard, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed your visit! Occasionally we do have folks break the no smoking rule. We will make a better effort to do spot checks to ensure the cave remains smoke free. If it happens again, please don't hesitate to bring it to our attention and we'll address the issue.
We hope that we'll see you and your family again soon!

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Enjoyable Visit”
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I visited on 7/12/14. It was in the 90's so a chance to sip wine in a cave was a welcome idea! We did the $5 tasting and got to keep our wine glasses, well worth the $5 alone. We bought a bottle of the sweet wine, a couple biscotti (chocolate and bacon as well as chocolate and cheyenne- both were very good!), had our wine uncorked and headed to the cave. Make sure you use one of the baskets they provide to carry your items to the cave! They also are preparing to bottle their own beer so my husband bought a glass of that as well. The walk down (& I mean down!!) to the cave is not bad at all if you are not limited in any way. They run a cart every 15 minutes and there is a nicely shaded area with tables and chairs where you can wait. The cave is set up with many picnic tables and tables and chairs, it is lit softly and has a deck that overlooks a wooded area. You can feel the drop in temperature immediately once in the cave. The vineyard provides some towels to dry your seat as the cave does drip water on you, but it's not an unpleasant experience at all. We brought our own towel with us. We will definitely return and a picnic lunch would be great to take along. They have some food items for sale in coolers along with coozies, t-shirts, scarfs.

1 Thank Amos1993
Laura15520, Owner at Cave Vineyard, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Glad you enjoyed your visit to our family's winery! This past weekend was warm - you picked a perfect day to spend in the Cave! Hope to see you again soon!!
Illinois City, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“just ok”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

we stopped in to check out the cave actually thought the winery was in the cave but it was at the top of the hill, 5.00 wine samples and got to keep the glass which was a good deal didnt like the idea that you had to purchase a bottle of wine to be able to go down to the cave which I thought was kind of ridiculous but thats ok I bought a bottle just to go check it out it was nice but nobody was even down there, probably would never return

Visited July 2014
Saint Louis, Missouri
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Nice atmosphere, good wine”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We always stop at The Cave when we go to the wineries in St Gen.
Friendly and fun staff, good wine and a nice atmosphere.
The cave is pretty cool too (no pun intended)
Worth the trip

Visited April 2014
Laura15520, Owner at Cave Vineyard, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
So glad you enjoyed your visit, we hope to see you again soon!
Fort Smith, AR
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“It's fun to drink wine with friends in a cave.”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I was brought here by friends who were showing me the sights of southeast Missouri. We tasted some wines at the winery at the top of the hill, bought a bottle, and went to the cave to enjoy the wine and good company. You do have to buy wine to get into the cave. It was pleasantly cool on a warm day. I was glad to be wearing a hat which kept the dripping water off my head. It's kind of a wet cave. My friends said they have been to music events here. It isn't a winery or restaurant in a cave, but it is a unique kind of place to sit and enjoy some wine with friends.

Visited June 2014
Laura15520, Owner at Cave Vineyard, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
So glad that you enjoyed your first visit here to Cave Vineyard! We hope you will come back again soon!