“Wonderful staff!”

Hotel Bothwell, an Ascend Collection hotel
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Sedalia
“Wonderful staff!”
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Every staff member was super friendly, helpful and fun, especially Betty, Avery, and Whitney. The hotel is charming and beautiful. Like most historic hotels, the rooms are sometimes a little crowded or esoteric, but it is a great stay.

• Stayed May 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I don't usually stay in old hotels, but the newer ones were booked, so I took my chances, and I'm so glad I did! Cleanliness is the top priority when I'm at a hotel, and this one was very clean. The lobby and restaurant feel like you have stepped back in time, and they are beautifully decorated. My kids loved the original phone booths! The only reason I'm not giving it five stars is because the rooms are small, especially the bathroom, so if we had been there more than one night it might have been a problem. We were traveling with friends, they got a king sized bed with a pull out couch and that room was larger, so I guess it just depends.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Iowa
Reviewed 28 April 2014

The Hotel Bothwell in Sedalia, Missouri, is not to miss!! Located on the square in downtown Sedalia, Missouri, this historic jewel from the twenties - where Harry Truman first learned of his nomination to the U.S. Senate - is a place of clean, calm loveliness. The lobby and fixtures take you right back to another time. It much reminded me of our stay at the Frontenac in Québec. Our room was immaculate, comfortable, cozy. The bathroom had a couple of places where it could have used a facelift, but nothing that got in the way of the pleasure of our stay. Had drinks at a pub on the other side of the square, dinner at the restaurant downstairs, great continental breakfast, and even got to enjoy a graphic arts show on the first floor put on by some local high school students. Very cheap rates, very luxurious stay. Staff was very friendly and helpful. I'd like to go back here and try the spa. Given how wonderful my first visit was, I would not hesitate to repeat the experience. Well-done, Hotel Bothwell!

Room Tip: Probably more fun with a view of the courthouse, but we had a corner room and it was lovely and very...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 March 2014

My 78 year old grandmother and I recently stayed at the Bothwell with a genealogical group the we belong to and before check in heard nothing but rave reviews. I was a little leery as they were charging such high group rates, having worked as a group reservations for a travel company I often question the quotes we get, but was still open minded. The first night our phone didn't work...went down to the front desk after trying to fix it myself and she said she could move us or bring a new phone. Well it was near on 10:30 at this point moving wasn't an option so I said new phone. She brought the new phone up and nothing happened and maintenance was gone for the night so nothing else could be done till morning, she did say she would look into taking something off our bill so we left it at till Morning. The next Morning we set off to meetings and luncheons came back and still no phone, this problem never got fixed. As we were getting ready for dinner I notice the toilet in the full bath is stopped up. So yet again I trudge do down to the front desk and let the assistance manager know thinking for sure she could get someone to fix this. We ate dinner, dry pork and sweet mixed veggies that I'm not sure anyone ate and proceeded back to the room. I poked my head into the bathroom and low and behold the toilet is untouched. So back down I got, remember no phone, and let the little gal at the desk know. She says that there's something wrong in the water tank of the toilet, kinda odd since I lifted the lid myself to see if there was a catch and there didn't seem to be an issue, and that they wouldn't be able to fix it until MONDAY. Again offered to move rooms at a late hour and I said no this is just getting out of hand. She did take more off that nights stay for the inconvenience which was appreciated but still rather annoying that no issues could be resolved. Their breakfast consists of packaged oatmeal, danishes, bagels and muffins that looked like they are fresh baked but come straight from a box. My group used their ballroom for the majority of our meetings and during our dinner a small section of the ceiling fell on a member, thank God she was not injured and now has a new nick name. I'm sure this is a lovely hotel to stay at as an individual but I would not recommended groups or large parties, they don't seem to be able to handle the spread load.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank mbrown523
Reviewed 13 January 2014

We had a most AWESOME 23 wedding anniversary stay in the hotel this past Saturday (11 January 2014). The hotel had such an amazing "feel" to it..like we had stepped back into another era. We had a room with a fireplace and two small bathrooms. The room was extremely clean, very warm and imensely inviting. The bed was very soft...cloudlike.The hotel had a "Stephen King/ Shining-esq" feel to it...to include the ballroom BUT...we LOVED LOVED it and will be staying again!!! We live up the road 20 minutes away and look forward to time away again and staying at The Bothwell. I recommend it to anyone who is looking for a hotel in Sedalia.

Room Tip: Go on the webist and check out the virtual tour of all of the rooms!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Peculiar, Missouri
Reviewed 13 January 2014

My husband and I spent New Year's Eve, 2013, at the Hotel Bothwell with friends. This is a historic hotel, the rooms are small as are the bathrooms but are nicely maintained and are clean. Our bed was comfortable, we both got a good nights sleep. The lobby of the hotel was decorated for the Christmas holidays and was pretty and festive. We all had dinner at the Ivory Grille which is located off the lobby of the Bothwell Hotel. My husband had the fried shrimp and I had the special of the evening which was smoked sea scallops with a side of roasted corn and potatoes, both meals were very good. We would definitely go back for another stay and or meal.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Leawood, Kansas
Reviewed 15 December 2013

The hotel is very unique. The beds are SUPER soft & like sleeping on a cloud. My husband & I absolutely loved the bed, but if you don't like fluffy-cloud softness then don't sleep here. The rooms are very nice, but on the small side. In our room we had a king size bed, pull out couch & 2 full bathrooms. My #1 major complaint is the horrible smell in our room. It was very likely the last room available in all of Sedalia the first night we stayed so while appreciating that, I called the manager after our 2 night stay to kindly let him know how horrible the smell was...the front desk lady had acknowledged the terrible smell (like sewage or a dead animal) and he even said maitinence had checked out the smelly situation, but proceeded to tell me that he had gone to the room and didn't smell a thing. That was pretty insulting to me. When we got home our clothing in our suitcases had the nasty smell lingering in them so we had to air out & wash everything. Our bill was $318 for 2 nights. I felt that was not fair given the stink situation. Taking off a reasonable amount would've been the right thing to do. I don't want the hotel to respond to this with a "please call to discuss further". I already called. You call me if you'd like to rectify the situation. 3 other small improvements that would would make a big difference would be to add one nice shelf in each bathroom for traveler toiletries, wipe down the baseboards and floor in the bathrooms and a light over the luggage rack area. I couldn't see into my bags at all. Last note, the restaurant had DELICIOUS food and we ordered a huge amount of food for our family to enjoy in room. We went down & ordered then carried it back up ourselves. The staff there was so sweet and thought of everything! The front desk person Lisa and housekeeping were very kind. However, we will be unlikely to stay again or recommend.

• Stayed December 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sedalia
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Sedalia
Laci's Country Inn
Laci's Country Inn
#1 of 2 in Knob Noster
Americas Best Value Inn- Knob Noster

Been to Hotel Bothwell, an Ascend Collection hotel? Share your experiences!