“It's a bit better than okay but...”

Americas Best Value Inn & Suites Sikeston MO
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Sikeston
Wisconsin
“It's a bit better than okay but...”
Reviewed 28 January 2014

I think this one may be more subjective than others I've written. The room pleasantly surprised me with two rooms, a good kingsized bed and fridge and microwave. That was the good part. If you are okay with that then ignore the rest.
I found the place just a bit tired and neglected. Like it's just on the edge of needing major maintenance. The furniture was tired, the baseboard under the bathroom sink looked chewed up at the corners. Yes that was bad.
The front lobby was enormous but without any real taste as was the dining room. It was huge but furnished sparsely with a few formica tables and chairs you see in supper clubs in Northern Wisconsin. Just a bit odd.
The woman at the desk was wonderful when I checked in. Later, I had an internet problem and the owner was unable to help me. I talked to his wife on a cell phone which he handed me because his accent made it difficult to communicate clearly. In my estimation and from what my computer was telling me their internet was simply not working.
The next morning all of the fire doors were closed because there as no heat in the hallways and when I went to get breakfast no one was in there and the staff all had heavy coats and were huddled together. I rhink rheir time would have been better spent talking with guests. Fortunately I had heat in my room.
I had stayed there because of previous reviews and it was $57 and they accepted pets. But when I got there they said pets were $20 extra. My dog is 13 pounds and has not shed a hair in six years.... I would definitely not have stayed here for $77 and I would not stay here again even for $57. It needs a lot of TLC and I need good energy. If you don't this will do.
So, all in all it wasn't horrible, just a bit off in an odd way. I would not stay there again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank casturtle

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Ft. Wayne, IN
Reviewed 28 January 2014

I stayed for 1 night on business. This is an older property that at one time was very nice but it is due for a refresh. The room was clean and the price was right but the whole property was dingy. For a cheap place to stay this is a good value. It is located on a side access road and can be hard to find; it's on the south east side of the interstate exit.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Waterloo, Iowa
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We found this motel through tripadvisor and it was everything the reviews said. Very clean, awesome hot breakfast, comfortable beds with HUGE 2 room suites for half of what the other chains were charging. Would definitly stay here again and would recommend to anyone traveling through the area.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Carol Torrey D
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We stayed here on our way driving from Chicago to Texas while moving house and were encouraged by the very reasonable rate even for a late booking. The exterior of the hotel is surprisingly picturesque given the price; as others have suggested this may owe to the building's past use. We were warmly greeted by the property manager at the desk and were checked in promptly with all relevant details for breakfast and internet access provided. The common spaces in the hotel and the room itself were oddly and pleasantly large (our room had a sitting area and 2 TVs, for example). The furnishings in the room were a little tired looking but all functional and clean, and the bathroom very spacious. Breakfast offerings were basic (primarily lacking in protein) but again certainly adequate for a quick meal before hitting the road again. There were quite a number of other facilities (pool, games room, library, outdoor patio and grill) that we did not use but were again surprising for the price. Check out was again quick and pleasant. Overall it was more than adequate for a night and would be a comfortable stay for a few days.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank awanless
Reviewed 31 December 2013

We stayed in this charming inn on our way through MO. For such a great price, we were pleasantly surprised to find a spacious, clean room with WiFi and all of the extras. The King Suite we stayed in had a separate living area with a sofa bed and cable tv for our children. The continental breakfast offered variety too, with waffles, eggs, and pastries among the choices.

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank KathrynAshby
Sedalia, Missouri
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Don't let the name fool you into thinking it is like American Inns, because it is NOT. Customer service was excellent, rooms were clean, continental breakfast was expected. Also, it is just a skip off I-55. I am very picky when it comes to hotels stays and I would recommend this place.

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank Jlg33640
Chicagoland
Reviewed 28 December 2013

And that pretty much sums it up. This place used to be an assisted living facility and it feels like it. The rooms are tired and need updating. Breakfast is barely adequate, we left looking for some decent coffee. The staff were pleasant. If you just need a place to crash on your way from here to there, this place will do and will save you $30-$40 over the other places at the same I-55 exit, but if you want to enjoy your stay we would recommend one of those other places.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple