“Justus - Always a solid hit!!”

Justus Drugstore A Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 30 Restaurants in Smithville
Price range: US$25 - US$100
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Had dinner Friday night with my wife and parents. My wife was running late from work and they wouldn't seat an incomplete party (my dad is almost 80 and sitting in the waiting area on a backless couch wasn't a great idea...). Ok - that was the only negative.

We used to eat at Justice regularly, but grew somewhat weary of a 2.5 - 3.0 hour dining experience from start to finish. The food at Justice is truly the star. Fresh, locally sourced when possible. The menu hasn't changed a lot over the years, which is ok because of the depth and choices. The Pork 2 ways is awesome. My wife and I shared a salad and an appetizer (fried goat cheese with a nice assortment of greens. My wife had the lamb shoulder which was sliced into perfectly cooked medallions. I would have preferred more flavor (I'm a sucker for lamb in garlic and lemon juice), but it was very good in its bare approach and flavor. I had that nights special: A fried chicken breast with mashed potatoes. It was very good. For dessert, we all shared the carrot cake fritters and French Press Coffee.

Total bill with one Cosmo, and 4 glasses of wine for the four of us: $288. Expensive? Not really - for great food. A little over $70 per person. Dinner still lasted right at 3 hours which was fine since we had a lot to catch up on.

Justice is a solid hit and worth the hassle of making reservations several weeks out (they did not return a phone call when a reservation request was left on their machine).

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Highly recommended by friends, we chose my husbands birthday as the first dining experience at this five star gem! Oh my goodness, it was remarkable. The start contrast between "downtown" Smithville and this amazing restaurant doesn't just reveal itself in the cuisine, but the decor and ambiance is undisputedly better than anywhere we have dined in the country club plaza area for years. Clean, fresh, organic, yet high standards from top to bottom without being pretentious. We were happy we planned a couple of hours to savor all three courses. The menu is imaginative and playful, and the staff all mirror the passion that their chef obviously shares in the dishes. What an experience. Pricey, yes, and worth every penny! Indulge yourself and you won't regret it.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

I enjoyed almost all the 3 1/2 hours we spent noshing and sipping at Justus. The dishes are stellar, with original/unusual ingredients (juniper essence? pea ginger cream?) blending harmoniously -- as opposed to some of the creations at Novel.

We did fall into some black hole of invisibility/a Bermuda Triangle at the end of our dinner, pre-dessert, when our punctilious water server AND our waitperson disappeared or forgot about us for 25 minutes. This made my sister quite grumpy, although the scrumptious carrot cake beignets helped to mollify her (be advised that they taste more like orange than carrot cake); she was already curmudgeoning at the paper-thin, embarrassingly small slice of trout served as her entree. While the dish was artfully presented, the trout itself was poached, had little flavor and was smaller than our appetizers -- the lovely pasta pecan watercress, the trout en brioche, the nested egg, the spring goat cheese -- all of it tasty tasty tasty! Seriously, we joked about whether her trout "filet" was 1 oz. or possibly 2. The other entrees - the rabbit, the pork and the special fried chicken - were decent-sized and delicious.

The wine list is commendable and reasonable (although not cheap; nothing on the menu at Justus is cheap), and the bread is to die for -- I ordered it for dessert; that's how good it is. As was the amuse bouche. THAT should be an entree or appetizer! Rye toast, some sausage, some more ingredients, sauce - I don't know what it was, but I want to marry it.

The dishes at Justus are complex, and my sister may not return, but my wife and nephew and I were very happy with our third visit to what I consider one of the top top top restaurants in the KC area. Go for a special good time, expect to take your time, and allow about $75 per person with drinks included. Or $100. You won't want to stint.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

My wife and I heard about this restaurant from friends and various articles. It was a 45 minute drive from our house. The inside was nice and clean but not upscale, but more like an old pharmacy. BUT, the food was fantastic. We had four courses which took us over 2 hours to finish. This is a destination place, but if you are a foodie and are in Kansas City area, you got to give it try. Be prepared to spend a lot of money, but it is worth every bit.

Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Justus drugstore is the only 5 star restaurant in the Kansas City area. The chef has an incredible talent for combining ingredients, flavors and textures to make fabulous dishes. It is not a place to go to eat then see a movie. The dining experience IS the movie. You will be there for several hours. There is no rushing nor attempts to turn over the tables. It is a great place to go with good friends and you will enjoy being able to leisurely converse. Reservations are required unless you are eating on the patio which has a completely different vibe and much more casual menu. If you are fortunate enough to live in Kansas City or travel there, this is a must!