“Black Mold growing in "Newly remodeled room"”

Lamplighter Inn & Suites South
Ranked #40 of 49 Hotels in Springfield
Bridgeton, Missouri
“Black Mold growing in "Newly remodeled room"”
Reviewed 15 February 2013

I checked into this hotel after a long day on the highway. The staff at front desk was very friendly and accomodating, however that is the last good thing I have to stay about this hotel. I will never stay here again. Had to have a room change because the heating system in the first room did not work properly. I was given a "newly remodeled room" on the second floor. When I got up the next morning I decided to open the drapes to let some light in and that is when I saw the black mold growing just above the window and also that the incomplete repair below the window was also showing signs of mold. It happens that the general manager was at the front desk when I checked out and when I voiced my concerns about the health hazard he did not charge me for the stay. Check rooms carefully if you decide to stay here.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Jerry T, General Manager at Lamplighter Inn & Suites South, responded to this review, 18 February 2013
Dear Evelyn,

Thank you for the review of our hotel. As we discussed at the time of your check out, I investigated the complaint that you made know to me. I did find construction that was incomplete and some additional issues with the paint. However, I did not find any evidence of
"black mold". The issue you saw was actually debris in the paint its self. I personally inspect each construction room, and I am highly disappointed in myself for not having caught that.

Again, we do appreciate the review that you supplied and if you choose to stay with us again,
we will welcome you with a smile.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin
Reviewed 14 February 2013

We have stayed at this motel on three different occasions and will NEVER stay again. Each time we stayed we had to be moved from our room to another for some reason. The front desk staff is great and very helpful. However, the housekeeping staff is the worst we have ever encountered. On our last visit both rooms had not been dusted or vacuumed and the bathroom floor was dirty and in the first room the sink drain was broken and the water just ran on the floor. Dirt on the tile floor was there on our check-in date and was still there two days later on check-out. We can certainly understand problems come up, but this was and has been ridiculous. Once burned twice cautious should have been our rule because the third time caused us to be torched. The discount of one night was too little too late.

Room Tip: The Manager changed in October, but I would wait to stay here because changes definitely need to occ...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Jerry T, General Manager at Lamplighter Inn & Suites South, responded to this review, 15 February 2013
Dear Wayne P,

Thank you for the review of our property. I am highly disapointed that we did not meet your expectations. We are making many different changes here, and training is our number one priority. Please feel free to contact me at your earliest convenience. I would like to discuss the issues you encountered.

Travellers are raving about these Springfield hotels

Pine Bluff, Arkansas
Reviewed 12 February 2013

Wonderful breakfast. Clean, comfortable rooms with expanded cable. The staff was very helpful and attentive to the guest needs. Thank you jerry, jesse, natilie and patricia. You guys are great. I would reccomend booking here anytime.

1 Thank jason w
Jerry T, General Manager at Lamplighter Inn & Suites South, responded to this review, 14 February 2013
Dear Jason W.,

Thank you so much for the great review you submitted. The staff and I are trying our hardest to make sure each and every guest is completely satisfied. With your wonderful review we can spread the word to other potential guests. Thank you again, and we look forward to greeting you with a smile the next time you stay.
Pleasant Plains, Arkansas
Reviewed 10 February 2013

This hotel has been remodeling and is about done. It was very nice and we enjoyed our stay. I was surprised at how handicap friendly the hotel was. It even had a lift chair at the pool. The only disappointment was the breakfast. It needed someone to clean up the mess.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Jerry T, General Manager at Lamplighter Inn & Suites South, responded to this review, 11 February 2013
Dear Gloria K,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. We here at the Lamplighter Inn and Suites South offer an economical room, and our staff are always available to offer helpful hints concerning our lovely city. We look forward to hosting you on next visit.
Clever, Missouri, United States
Reviewed 5 February 2013

This was my first stay here, and my friend and I had a wonderful time! From the moment I spoke to Collen to make the reservation til the time we checked out we were treated well and greeted with smiles. Will be back again!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Jerry T, General Manager at Lamplighter Inn & Suites South, responded to this review, 6 February 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for the wonderful review, we here at the Lamplighter South are always glad to provide excellent service to our customers. We hope to see you again very soon.
Tulsa, OK
Reviewed 23 January 2013

This is the closest hotel to the Mercy Hospital in Springfield and is conveniently located to restaurants and shopping. It is very inexpensive as they have various discounts including hospital patient visitors, AAA, etc. Although it is dated, it is certainly a great value. The staff was friendly and helpful and having a restaurant with great food connected was a definite plus! We stayed for 10 days and were quite satisfied with both rooms that we were using. There was a fridge, microwave, and coffee pot in each room as well as free wi-fi available. There is also a free washer and dryer on the 2nd floor landing that saved us money during our stay.

Beware however, there is a strip club directly next door. We initially drove on past the hotel for that reason and came back due to its proximity to the hospital, but it was never an issue for us during our 10 day stay.

Room Tip: Apparently the rooms in the center overlooking the pool are the quietest.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Jerry T, General Manager at Lamplighter Inn & Suites South, responded to this review, 24 January 2013
Dear Valued Patron,
Thank you for superb comments. We here at the Lamplighter Inn and Suites South try to make each guests stay memorable and affordable. We welcome all guest reviews here on Trip Adivsor and hope to provide a good reference point for future guests wishing to stay here at the iconic Lamplighter Inn and Suites. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing in the future.
Reviewed 11 January 2013

Located next to one of the worst strip clubs in town, this hole has gotten progressively worse over the years... However, you could always look to the people that do the work. Unless it's the current property manager and General manager. After I tried to explain that the hallway doors, next to the rooms were still slamming at night and in the morning, after two years, they all but asked me to leave. Being woken up at 3am to slamming doors while Mother was in the ICU might have made me a bit cranky...

Bottom line, I've been staying at this location since 1986. I will never return! By the way, we ended up stay at the Residence Inn (More cash) two rooms for 3 weeks!

Sorry to say good bye!

Room Tip: Stay away from the hallways and stairwells!
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Vince V
Jerry T, General Manager at Lamplighter Inn & Suites South, responded to this review, 15 January 2013
Dear Valued Lodger,

Thank you so much for your insightful comments. As you stated we are a tradition here for many people coming to Springfield. As a Springfield icon, located in the heart of the city center, we strive to make each guests stay as pleasant as possible and aim to provide value with comfort. We are currently undergoing an entire renovation to the hotel, and take each guest complaint seriously. If you decide to give us another opportunity to host your next visit, please feel free to contact me directly. Thank you again for taking time out of your busy schedule to provide us with your feedback.