“Hilton Garden Inn experience”

Hilton Garden Inn Springfield
Ranked #7 of 49 Hotels in Springfield
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Brookfield, United States
“Hilton Garden Inn experience”
Reviewed 10 February 2014

This is the BEST hotel/inn in my opinion. I have stayed at a couple of these and they are always wonderfully helpful, and clean. I need a walk in shower since I have an artificial knee and love that they have these. I also love the beds that you can adjust the firmness on either sides they are GREAT

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Chris B, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Springfield, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay at our hotel. I'm happy to see that you had a great time during your stay with us. We love our walk-in showers too, and I'm thrilled to see that it helped make your stay that much better. I hope the next time you are in the area you will choose to stay with us again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Jefferson City, Missouri
Reviewed 6 February 2014

Strange hotel experience. I can't say I hated it, but I won't be back if I have a choice. I'll explain in list form:

Good:
-Fast check in, prompt, friendly staff. Probably the quickest check-in our group of 8 co-workers has ever experienced.
-On-site bar with good selection
-No free breakfast, but a very appealing breakfast buffet is available.
-Excellent fitness center with both weights and cardio equipment.
-Well decorated lobby and rooms
-Very clean rooms
-Rooms have Keurig coffee makers and K-cups.

Bad:
-The hardest, most firm beds I've ever slept on in a hotel. They are reportedly adjustable, and I tried both queen beds in my room, and neither one appeared to change at all when "adjusted" to the soft setting. I don't think they are really adjustable. Just super-firm.
-Hotel is LEED certified so they went overboard on energy efficiency. Lighting in rooms is extremely dim.
-Bathroom faucets and showers are low-flow and frustrating. My female co-workers said it was hard to wash their hair with the trickle of water in the shower, I found it hard to clean my razor in the sink when shaving. Very frustrating.
-Low-flow sink leaked.
-Wi-Fi internet service is free, but very slow.
-Did I mention how awful the beds are?

If I have any say, I won't be back, even though it is a very nice hotel. The rooms are just too frustrating. This is the second time I've stayed here for work, and I really want to like this place, but I just can't. I leave the end of my stay tired, crabby and frustrated from my dimly-lit room with a hard bed. I started to tell the staff my frustrations at check-out but I didn't want to sound crazy. I think other people apparently like this place, but all of my co-workers agreed and had similar thoughts about the property.

Green Features: I hated them! I'm all for saving the planet, but the four 40-watt equivalent bulbs in the room don't cut it. It was so dark in my room. Plus, the sink and shower were frustratingly weak. Ironically, my low-flow sink didn't always shut off and was constantly leaking.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Mark B
Chris B, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Springfield, responded to this review, 9 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay at our hotel. I'm sorry that we did not meet, much less exceed, your expectations. Our beds are on the firm side, there is no denying that, but we have pillow top bed spreads we can put on them to provide a much softer experience. The other features can be adjusted as well, and I will make notes in your profile so these adjustments are made before you arrive. I would love to address all of the issues you experienced to make sure they don't happen again. Please feel free to contact me at your conviencence.
Jackson, Mississippi
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Very high quality hotel. Bed is phenomenal--very comfortable foam bed, which is very difficult to get out of. Room very clean with beautiful decor. Bathroom high quality. Room was very quiet. Breakfast was champion. Order anything you want--omlets, french toast, hash browns, bacon, sausage, tons of fruit and beverages. Nice indoor pool and fitness center (with dumbbells). You cannot go wrong with this hotel. Perfect access to interstate. Best in Springfield. Very military friendly. High class people running the place, including the chefs and waitresses.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Chris B, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Springfield, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay at our hotel. I'm thrilled to see that you loved everything, even the bed! Our team takes a lot of pride in taking care of our guests at every turn, and I'm glad it shows. I hope the next time you visit the area you will choose to stay with us again.
Saint Louis, MO
Reviewed 27 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for work and it was very comfortable and modern. I really liked the layout of the room. When you first walk in there's a little living area and the bed is in the back with the bathroom separating the two.

The staff was incredibly friendly and attentive. Every time I ran into anyone from maintenance to the front desk, everyone wished me well or asked how my stay was going. Incredible customer service.

My one gripe was the extremely thin walls. As I was going to sleep, I heard the distinct sound of a man using the restroom and a very loud flush when he was done. It really grossed me out. I couldn't tell if he was next door or above me, but it sounded like above. I didn't mention it to the front desk when they asked if they could have done anything to make my stay more comfortable because in reality it's not their fault. It's the materials they chose to use in construction I guess.

Overall I would probably stay here again and hope I don't get put next to or under anyone.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank StlPestalozzi
Chris B, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Springfield, responded to this review, 2 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay at our hotel. I'm happy to hear that our staff did a fantastic job taking care of you. I'm sorry that you were able to hear someone near you using the restroom, and we will look into this immediately. I've haven't heard of this issue before, and I want to make sure that it gets taken care of promptly. After all, I could only imagine how unsettling the experience could have been. I hope you will visit us again, and give us a chance to make it up to you.
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 27 January 2014

I love this hotel I have stayed here 4-5 times in the last 3 years and every time I come I wonder why all hotels aren't as good as this one. They take the time to make you feel at home, without being over-barring. Everyone I have interacted with goes over and above to make your stay enjoyable. Best Hilton Garden Inn in the Country

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us. I' so happy to hear that your experiences with us have been so enjoyable. It's always great to hear someone say that staying with us is like being at home. We all look forward to seeing you again.
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 10 January 2014

We've stayed at this property 3x, each for 3-6 days/stay. It's very pleasant to be there - from the attractive lobby, comfortable rooms, and great breakfast with several made-to-order items daily. For warmer weather, there is outdoor seating and for cooler nites, a fire pit. The staff has always been very pleasant and go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable. We'll definitely stay there whenever we're in Springfield.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank kansassun
Chris B, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Springfield, responded to this review, 12 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay at our hotel. I'm are happy to see that you visit us regularly. Let me know if you ever need anything, and we look forward to seeing you the next time you are in the area.
Superior, Colorado
Reviewed 8 January 2014

My wife and I stayed here two nights while visiting family in the area around Christmas: one night when we first arrived, the other the night before heading back to Colorado. We arrived on Christmas Eve at about 8 PM, exhausted from a day driving through Kansas. The staff were very attentive and has us checked in to our room quickly. We learned that there would not be the normal hot breakfast available in the morning, since it was Christmas, but that the continental breakfast would be free. I found the continental breakfast to be quite satisfying. There were numerous options for juices, muffins, and cereals. We were both very tired and also very hungry when we first arrived. We ordered pizza and I was delighted to find that the hotel had a little pantry that had some beer in stock. This was excellent as I didn't feel like leaving the premises but was definitely in the mood for some pizza and beer. Normally I expect rather expensive prices for such en suite amenities, but I actually thought it wasn't too bad.

Concerning the looks of the hotel, right away I appreciated the modern decor and clean look of the hotel. The lobby is very spacious and elegant. My wife and I had actually lived in Springfield for four years prior to moving to Colorado in 2010, and they were just building this hotel when we moved. In fact, we had lived in the south side of town, so we were quite familiar with the surrounding neighborhood. Staying somewhere that was both familiar and comfortable felt very much like coming home. We got a great night's sleep the first night, even if the mattresses were a bit firm for our taste.

The second night we stayed here, we visited the pool to get some exercise before the long drive home. The pool was a good size and adequately heated to make swimming comfortable. When we asked the lady working the front desk for details about breakfast the next day, she offered us two complimentary breakfasts. I think the reason for the free breakfast was that she had seen our personally designed credit card (with a photo of us from our wedding) and thought it was cute. I think she thought we were newlyweds even though we've been married just over a year now. We weren't going to tell though.

The hot breakfast was quite good. The options include made to order waffles, omelets, eggs, bacon, and sausage. We both enjoyed an excellent breakfast and were fortunately able to charge gratuity to our room since the breakfast was free and we didn't have any cash. We would have certainly paid for breakfast had the free option not been available and still felt it was a good deal. $9.95 for the full spread of continental breakfast (as mentioned above) in addition to made-to-order hot food is quite a good deal, especially considering the quality of the food. I've been at hotels where it was twice as much for considerably less quality.

Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. For those not familiar with the area, the hotel is located in a very quiet part of town near the Springfield Nature Center. It's very easy to get there from the major highways that run through town (it's right off the James River Freeway, also known as US Highway 60) the exit is not a high traffic area. There are many stores near the hotel (Walgreens, WalMart, Target, and several grocery stores), a decent amount of restaurant options nearby, and of course the one place you can't miss when visiting Springfield: Andy's Frozen Custard (seriously, if you haven't been you don't know what you're missing). For those who happen to be staying here in spring and fall, I'd also highly recommend checking out the nearby Springfield Nature Center.

Green Features: As an environmentally-minded person myself, I was very happy to be patronizing a business that is committed to sustainable practices. As far as I know, this is the only LEED certified hotel in the Springfield area. If not, then it's certainly one of very few such places.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay at our hotel. I'm thrilled to see that you and your wife had a great time during your stay with us. I'm glad you were around for two nights, so you could try our full breakfast. I hope the next time you visit the area you will choose to stay with us again.