“consistent quality”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Springfield
Ranked #36 of 51 Hotels in Springfield
Reviewed 29 October 2012

I stay here regularly on business and am never disappointed. Even when new clerks get frustrated, they are still very courteous.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham
mchell4372, Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Springfield, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2012

Again, thank you for completing our survey and if I can be of assistance to you, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 417-833-1500.

Carla Patel

Reviewed 24 October 2012

Reviewed 23 October 2012

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 October 2012

No problem doing this review in 200 characters minimum, because I could write an entire book about this awful experience! Booked a room for 4 nights and on night three I became very ill. We were staying with a group (seven rooms total!) but in my particular room we had myself, my husband and our 10 month old along with my sister, her husband and their one year old.

Because the babies had trouble sleeping and kept waking each other up, I had my daughter sleeping in her pack n play in the bathroom. So when I became ill, I had to use the one downstairs. (It was around 3 or 4 AM.) After about five minutes the night clerk (later found out his name is Ben) jiggled the doorknob without knocking and then proceeded to harass me every few minutes for the next 10 minutes or so even though I told him I wasn't feeling well and would be out in a bit. He became increasingly rude all while trying to open the door on me (thank goodness it was locked in the first place!) until he finally said "I'm giving you 15 more minutes or I'm calling the cops"! At that point, I hurriedly tried to get myself together to leave and my sister (who was with me) came out asking him why he wouldn't leave us alone and why we couldn't use the restroom in a hotel we paid four nights to stay in. He then said that they get "alot of homeless people" wandering in using their restroom (that makes you feel safe, doesn't it?!) and he was making sure that wasn't the case here. (There was no reason for him to continue to believe that, as we had told him several times that we were guests here and produced the room key as soon as we left the bathroom.) When he could see we were very upset, he then kept saying "it's ok" as if WE did something wrong! My sister told him it WAS NOT ok and asked for his name all while I was doubled over having severe stomach pains. He then very rudely told us that we could "get his name from the manager in the morning."!!!! I spent the entire night suffering in the upstairs hallway outside of our room so I didn't wake up the babies and the rest of my party until it was 8 AM and I finally knew I needed to be seen by a doctor. I ended up staying in the hospital for 8 hours having xrays, bloodwork, and finally a ct scan and was diagnosed with colitis. When we returned to the hotel that evening, my husband got me settled in bed and he, my sister and her husband went down to the lobby to talk to the manager. As they were walking up to the counter, one of the other ladies that was working began to apologize profusely for what happened the night before. Apparently, Ben had left a note for the manager, which we found out later. My first thought is - if the manager knew about the situation first thing in the morning, why was it US who had to go down to address the situation??? If I was the manager of a hotel and something like this happened, I would have been proactive and handled it asap but as the story will tell - she either couldn't, or didn't care enough to.

My husband and sister told our side of the story to the manager (never got her name) and she said she would try to reach her boss who was "at a party". The conversation, from what I'm told, was very short and civil - but my husband did admit to being VERY clear that he wasn't happy with the situation and that he wanted our room comped for the night it happened, as well as our last night, too.

About 10 minutes later, the manager calls our room and says she has her employee Ben downstairs and she wants to ask him a few questions with us present. We thought this was odd, but naively agreed to the meeting. I was still too sick to get out of bed, so my husband, sister, and her husband all went downstairs. They walked into the room and the first thing Ben says, in a very hostile way, is: "Who are these two guys?? I've never seen them before in my life!" and at that point, my sister told the manager "we're done" and walked out of the room. I have no idea what the manager was thinking calling us into a discussion with her employee but after how he treated us the night before, we were expecting an apology at the very least - not more hostility! At this point, no one had apologized except for the other lady working the front desk at the time.

My party began to pack things up to check out a day early and find another hotel because it was clear that the management wasn't going to handle the situation in any way. However, I absolutely could not bear the thought of getting out of bed and was still in terrible pain, so I convinced everyone to just stick it out before we were scheduled to head home the next morning. (We live in Kentucky.) This hotel is lucky that my entire group didn't pull their seven rooms and ask for refunds, too!

A little later, my sister and husband went back downstairs to talk to the manager. They kept asking her what we did wrong and she kept saying "absolutely nothing" but then continued to defend her employee's behavior. At one point, she actually said that if I had known I was going to be in the bathroom for a considerable length of time, I should have told the front desk that! It was 3 AM and he wasn't even at the front desk when I first arrived even if I HAD thought to let him know! I wasn't aware that I had paid to use the facilities for a certain amount of time, or only under certain conditions. Ridiculous. The manager finally apologized after my sister told her she still had never done so, and she said she was still waiting to hear back from her boss about what could be done. That night, I had to walk past this Ben person (who has only been employed a week, according to the manager) which was embarrassing and he was again hostile in his attitude towards us when he threw us a look as if he knew he had gotten away with something. We had asked if anyone else could work that night and why this guy was even still employed, but the manager said she couldn't fire him. (What?)

When my husband was packing up the van the next day, he happened to walk past the manager and she told him that when he was ready, he could settle the bill. She then said she would give him half off the room for the night the "incident" happened, and 20% off our next stay. This was nothing short of offensive, as we will NEVER be staying in a Microtel Inn again! Under no circumstances. Ever. In any city. Aside from even the above issues, the beds were only made on our first night there, the trash was never fully emptied, and the only thing we could ever see that housekeeping had done was bring fresh towels. Oh, there was also a fire alarm that went off early our second morning for so long that finally the person in charge admitted to not knowing how to shut it off! Overall, an absolutely terribly experience for which we are still awaiting any kind of resolution.

We are also considering asking this hotel to pay for my medical bills because if I had been allowed to use the restroom, I may not have ended up in the hospital! If the manager had just handled the situation promptly, with an ounce of concern or professionalism, then it would have gone a long way in turning our experience around. We wouldn't have criticized an entire hotel chain because of one bad seed, but it seems like there are several here.

After calling the customer service line yesterday, we are still waiting for the location to contact us in regards to this matter. In the meantime, I'm not holding my breath!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends