“As charming as a prison.”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Springfield
Ranked #33 of 49 Hotels in Springfield
Austin, Texas
“As charming as a prison.”
Reviewed 5 July 2010

Don't believe the website photos. This hotel is awful. The big fluffy beds in the website pictures are fake. The actual beds are non-pillow top mattresses with cheap non-fitted sheets and cheap, thin comforters. The "free" internet has such a bad signal it is unusable, which is hard to believe with such a small property. Even with one wireless hub the signal should be stronger than what it is. If the bathroom had any more hair on the floor it would qualify as a wig. There is no tv remote in the room, but luckily it's no big deal because the tv is so old the picture is faded out to the point it is almost unwatchable. The wallpaper in the bathroom is completely missing on one wall under the sink, showing the mold that most likely caused it to peel off. All the other walls are losing what wallpaper they have. The bathtub has been covered over with a plastic replacement tub, leaving very little room in the actual tub. I hope you don't like baths. The rooms are ultra-tiny, which they try to disguise by putting a mirror across an entire wall (the illusion doesn't work guys). The only source of light in the room is one single bulb on the wall across from the bed. There are no lamps at all in the room. What is very funny though, is they have a display on the pseudo desk that tries to sell you their cruddy accessories like towels and clocks because of such "high demand" from their customers. Who are these people that want to buy this stuff?? I wouldn't have paid two cents to stay here had I seen it before I checked in. Last but not least, the smoke detector is hanging out of the ceiling. I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't even work.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank oztin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviewed 22 June 2010

This was fairly clean, yet smelled musty upon opening the door and was poorly constructed. If you are trying to save money it would be okay to stay.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Wichita
Reviewed 13 April 2010

If you're looking for a spacious room, Microtel isn't "the one." But if you're looking for a clean, comfortable room at a reasonable price, this is it. We have stayed a Microtel properties, and this is the best one we've seen. When we walked in our room, I noticed a clean, fresh smell. The bed was comfortable. The desk clerk was friendly and helpful. We had brunch with friends so didn't experience the continental breakfast; I noticed dry cereal, hot cereal packets, danish rolls, bagels, coffee and juice so I'm sure it would have been adequate. I also noticed the Waffle House nearby but I was the only one who wanted to dine there. Next time.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank inhisgripWichita
West Plains
Reviewed 3 April 2010

Rooms are a little small, but for an over night stay it was Excellent

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Traverse City, Michigan
Reviewed 20 March 2010

This hotel had rooms for about 1/2 the price of other hotels in Springfield. I went into this not expecting much. It was a good, clean, basic, no-frills place to stay. The room was very small, as was the bathroom. It would be great for a single person, but was cramped for two. The bathroom was tiny, and required a bit of "juggling" to get around in. The shower had great water pressure, but the head was quite low. I'm only 5'7" and it worked for me, but anyone taller would have to stoop to take a shower. The hotel was very quiet and we slept well. For the price it was good value. I prefer the Hampton or Holiday Inn Express, but it was a great way to save some $$ so we could extend our trip a few more days.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Oklahoma
Reviewed 23 February 2010

My wife and I were attending a funeral in a nearby town, I found this hotel on priceline... I chose it because of it's affordable price AND the priceline reviews gave it a pretty high rating.
The checkin was quick and painless, the room was small but clean and comfortable... The shower worked well with Hot Water almost immediately... and it lasted.... For me I didn't care anything for Pools, Hot-Tubs, fancy breakfast.... I just wanted a clean comfortable place to stay the night... and this room fit the bill.
I will however add this info... A local resident in a position to "Be in the Know" warned me that this was not the best neighborhood.... not a "Stern" warning... but a "just beware" warning..... Vehicle locked... no late night walks in the neighborhood etc.... I will say though that the area appeared perfectly fine to me, (clean etc)...

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
New Mexico
Reviewed 11 January 2010

The rooms were not the biggest one's I have stayed in but they were perfect for the purpose we needed. Traveling and needing a place to sleep that was comfortable. The breakfast provided was good enough that we did not need to go anywhere else. We stayed there on the way back and asked for a two bed room, but there was not one available. The staff gave us an adjoining room for almost no additional cost. The bell cart was very helpful and the staff very pleasant. I will stay there again when I travel that way. The location was very nice also. Gas station and stores very close by.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family