“Very Pet Friendly and Great "Free" Breakfast” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Quinta Inn & Suites Springfield South

La Quinta Inn & Suites Springfield South
Ranked #18 of 49 Hotels in Springfield
Sarasota, Florida
“Very Pet Friendly and Great "Free" Breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2008

My mom, dog Lucy and I traveled to Springfield, MO for the sole purpose of visiting the Laura Ingalls Wilder museum/home in nearby Mansfield (we might have stayed IN Mansfield but it appeared to be a REAL small town and I was concerned about finding a place that would accept my dog). We were there two nights and I booked it by calling La Quinta's 800 number (you need to add this option to your selection above; it is not the same thing as booking directly with the property).
So, I found out that La Quinta accepts pets (and doesn't charge a fee for them like some motels/hotels). I would have liked a bit of a cheaper rate (we paid $79+ tax which was an AARP rate) but, the room was larger than the Red Roof Inn was stayed at in Nashville and the beds (queen-sized) were real comfortable. The bathroom was so-so; a weird latch on the door. But, it served its purpose.
The room was clean and we didn't notice anything out of order anywhere in the motel EXCEPT the elevator always smelled a bit like cat urine. There must have been one unhappy cat in that elevator at one point in time (and I sure wouldn't have wanted to get the room it was in!)
Reception was friendly; they even greeted my dog. There was some weird charge of $1.50 per day for using the safe which I was told we could have removed when we checked out (which I did; the whole thing made no sense to me at all).
The motel was convenient to many restaurants and this huge Bass Pro place. My mom and I drove into "downtown" Springfield for breakfast and dinner one day; very nice places, both (see separate reviews).
Back to La Quinta. There was a nice grassy area to walk dogs; too bad not all of the guests were responsible enough to pick up after their dogs (I, of course, always do).
Our room was quiet enough however the 2nd night of our stay, the folks in the room turned their TV or radio on REALLY REALLY loud around 12:30 am. I called the front desk; the guy who was there asked me to go make sure what room it was so that he wouldn't disturb the wrong people. I did think he could have figured out what room it was without making me go out into the hall in my PJs to check, but, they DID turn the radio down so that's all that matters (so, the walls might be a tad thin but I never ding a property for rude guests).
We partook of the "free" breakfast on the morning we left. I was impressed; they even had biscuits and sausage gravy (I opted for a waffle, though). The girl that was working the breakfast area was very diligent about keeping things stocked.
When we checked out, we asked reception to split the bill between two different credit cards and they did so with no issues.
All in all, I liked this place well enough. I doubt I'll ever be back in Springfield, MO, but, if for some reason I am (and especially if I have a pet with me), I'd certainly stay there again.

• Liked — Very pet friendly
  • Disliked — The people in the room next to us were loud and turned on their TV/radio very loud late at night
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Liberty, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2007

This is a recently constructed hotel on South Campbell Street in southwest Springfield. It's fairly close to the highway along the south edge of town, the medical facilities/hospitals, and Bass Pro Shop. The hotel has a nice decor (nicer than most of this type), looks new, and has pretty good space in the rooms, including a good work desk in our double queen. The hotel has interior corridors. It has a business center, some meeting rooms, a pool, and a very simple fitness center, all of which we did not use. They serve a modest continental breakfast common of hotels of this type--nothing special. I think of LaQuinta as a value-priced chain, and by that measure I thought the rate was just ok. The hotel is new and the decor is fresh, however, so I really cannot complain. The staff was friendly and helpful, even late at night and early in the morning.

• Liked — Inviting rooms and decor; friendly staff
  • Disliked — Just an ok value
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
Chandler, AZ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2006

My wife, pet lab, and I had a great stay at this hotel. Nice amenities (pool, spa, fitness center) and very nice rooms.

• Liked — Pet friendly, value
  • Stayed June 2006, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rdtripper
Estes Park, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2005

I wouldn't say this hotel is terrible, but I definitely would not recommend it. We got this hotel through an Expedia package, and weren't sure what to expect. We are typically Marriott people so we knew a La Quinta wouldn't quite be what we are used to, but that was fine, given the great package price we got.

First the good things ... the hotel is relatively close to major roads so you can get around Springfield easily. You are very close to Bass Pro if you are into that scene. The wireless internet in the hotel is fantastic, very easy to use ... no passwords or keys, you just start up the laptop and away you go! The staff was very nice and let us upgrade to a suite for an extra $8 a night even though we had done the package thing.

Unfortunately, the bad outweighed the good. The walls are paper thin so expect to hear neighbors. The first night, our neighbors across the hall kept us up for hours. We called the front desk, and the front desk called them, but we could hear the people in the room saying, "I have a right to have my friends here!" UGH.

The other main problem, a very serious one, was that the toilet paper holder handle came out of the wall (it was dangling and just fell out). Apparently this let the smoke from the second floor (dedicated to smoking rooms) come up through the wall into our room. The cigarette smoke smell was absolutely overwhelming. We kept the bathroom door shut and when we had to go in, we just ran in and ran out as quickly as possible. We called to complain and we were told, "I'm sorry, but the people below you have a right to smoke." That's fine, but we booked a non-smoking room and didn't expect to have cigarrette smoke in our room. I sneezed all night from the smoke, and since the maid never refilled our tissue box, I had to use toilet paper to blow my nose.

The actual hotel room is somewhat dingy. Sheets were pilled, furniture had scuffs, etc. Nothing terrible, but not great either. The breakfast buffet is a bunch of fatty foods. That's fine if that's what you're looking for.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend.

• Stayed October 2005, travelled on business