“Excellent Property”

Holiday Inn Express and Suites Springfield - Downtown
Ranked #21 of 52 Hotels in Springfield
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Although I generally like the value of the Holiday Inn Express properties, I have to say that this one is better than almost all that I have seen over the years. From the extra decorative touches in the lobby, breakfast area and hallways to the very comfortable room (bed, shower, etc) and the solid construction that keeps out all but the loudest noises (and the teenagers in the hallway did go to bed as promised at 10:30 PM), and finally to the friendly staff, this is a recommended property. I doubt that I will have the need to return to Springfield but if I do, I know where I will stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rich B
Denis S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express and Suites Springfield - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Dear Rich B,
We are so happy you enjoyed your recent stay with us! Thank you for the wonderful compliments about our beautiful hotel as we take pride in making it the best accommodations for our guests.

Reviewed 29 January 2014

So the air freshener thing is horrible. Not the local management's fault though, it's something Holiday Inn makes them do. But it's a great reason for me not to come back.
But I didn't need a second reason. The clerk being so rude to me was a good first reason.

I was there for a large convention, but I booked too late to get a discount to stay across the street at UP, so I paid full price for a suite (all that was left) at HIEX. You would think they could at least be nice and deliver bad news politely.
I asked about a late checkout. She laughed at me. I then asked if I could possibly extend my stay. She laughed again and shooed me away "Get outta here with that! I'm not extending that room we don't give weekend people suites we have to save those to upgrade the weekday guests."
UMMM WHAT?!?!?!

I was livid. stormed off, and found a nice room in Kansas City for Sunday night and drove home Monday. I don't care how good your weekday guests are if someone is willing to pay for a suite, give them the suite.
I'll probably book at UP for the next convention unless you guys get rid of the damn scent machine.

On the good side, the breakfast server helped my picky friend avoid the litany of things he refuses to eat. More patient than I'd have been. Put HER on the desk and put this other chick in breakfast.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank keviefriend
Denis S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express and Suites Springfield - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2014

Dear keviefriend,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. While our goal is to exceed our guests expecations we clearly failed to provide you with exceptional service. For this I sincerely apologize.
I would like to have more information regarding your stay so I may investigate who the guest service representative was that treated you rudely. By no means is that acceptable or permitted, especially in our business of hospitality. If you would like to contact the hotel and speak to me it would be greatly appreciated.
On a bright note, thank you for the positive comments regarding our breakfast team as I will pass on your reveiw to all the team to continue surpassing our guest expectations.

Reviewed 22 January 2014

My networking group meets here twice a month. Great and friendly staff. Very clean. Coffee is great. I would recommend this Holiday Inn Express anytime. Thank you all for a great and wonderful experience.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank angelar478
Denis S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express and Suites Springfield - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

Dear Angela R,
We are so happy you enjoy our beautiful hotel as much as we do! And, we love having your networking group here to enjoy the warmth of the fireplace with a hot cup of coffee on a cold winter morning. We look forward to seeing you soon to provide you with the perfect meeting solution.

Reviewed 22 January 2014

So we spent a couple of nights here and the place is really clean a nice looking. Feels and looks comfortable. The room was clean and nice, my only problem was I was on the ground floor and could here absolutely everyone walking and talking outside. i learned after the first night that it was because the top of the window was open. Made a big difference the second night.
Terri was very pleasant to visit with at breakfast and really tried to do everything she could to make us happy, but she is new and was still "learning". I just hope that management realizes that she should be teaching the rest of the staff about how to customer service. Terri helps take care of the breakfast room. On the first morning I arrived around 9am and was reading my paper and eating breakfast. Everything was fine until my wife showed up at 9:45 and got a cup of coffee and proceeded to get her a plate for breakfast as well. When right at 10am with 4 or 5 tables still sitting in the dining area this young gal in charge of the breakfast started locking everything up and hauling everything away. I wasn't to surprised about this, as it happens everywhere anymore. But what really got me is that my wife had tried to get a milk to go with her pancakes and of course the refrigerator was locked already. Then within 5 minutes the same gal came and turned on the juice machine and unlocked the milk as the entire (or it looked like it) housekeeping staff showed up. In front of us we watched them get there juice milk, cereal, and toast there bread. All of which must have been brought from the back because there wasn't anything out for us. In these few minutes I watched three people come down to see if they could still catch breakfast, and of course they saw everything was gone, except for the coffee. Now some of you may not see my point, but how would you feel if you where trying to eat breakfast and in the middle of your meal, it is simply just shut down. No warning, only that the time is up. Then sit there and watch the people that work there help themselves to the food you couldn't have. I don't have any problem with the employees having there break and even enjoying a complimentary meal from the employer. But should they really be preparing it in front of the same people that would like some of the same thing, only they spent money to help pay for it. Terri was the only one that realized that they had upset us with these actions. She even went to the manager at the front desk. But other than turning the juice machine back on nothing was done.
This is really a shame as I was considering switching to this hotel as my choice when I stay in Springfield. But I guess it just goes to say why change when the one I stay with regularly wouldn't ever consider treating me or anyone like that.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank dkrug10042

Dear DKRUG10042,

Thank you for taking the time to express your comments regarding your experience at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites - Downtown. Our goal is to exceed our guest expectations in every way. Unfortunately, we obviously did not meet that goal with your recent experience. Please accept my sincere apologies.

Terri will be delighted she received a glowing review and will receive an extra incentive for her efforts in excellent guest services. She is a model associate showing our team how excellent guest services can be acheived.

I have reviewed our policy on associate breakfast privileges, a new in-depth policy will be released today removing the privilege as it does not collerate well with our guest service motto of "Every Guest Matters!"

Likewise, I have spoken to our breakfast team and made immediate changes to our procedures. Now, we will have a more flexible schedule of closing and personally letting guests know Express Breakfast will be closing to allow them to enjoy the offerings again.

Thank you for taking the time to write as your review will be used for training to illustrate how we can change a negative situation to a positive with the right approach.

We hope you will give our hotel another chance to impress you.

Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

A very friendly staff and accommodating services. We have business meetings here regularly and there is always a friendly greeter and full breakfast, with plenty of HOT coffee. I love that they have specialty roasts! Gorgeous interior to stay in and to do business.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Samantha J
Denis S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express and Suites Springfield - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Dear Samantha J,
We truly appreciate your kind words about our wonderful hotel. Our goal is to exceed our guest expectations, every time you visit.
We are happy you find our hotel inviting for your accommodations and business meetings as it was designed with you in mind. We will keep the the HOT coffee and breakfast ready for your next meeting and look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

Check in was a breeze. Also, the front desk ladies told us about great eats in the area, even printed out the directions for us. Everyone greeted us every time we passed. All around nice staff. Breakfast was descent and get a wide choice. Our maid Samantha was sweet as could be. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Request top floor have huge windows to see the town
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Amber S

Dear Amber S,
We love to get reviews that mention specific team members for a job well done! Samantha will get an extra incentive in our daily meeting for being recognized by you.
Our goal is to always recieve 5 star reviews by exceeding our guests expectations. Obviously, our team did just that for you!
Thank you for staying with us as we know you have a choice in hotels. We truly appreciate our guests and look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

We have stayed here twice and the service from the staff has alway been exceptional.

The rooms are very clean, have a nice desk and 32" LCD TV. The room was remade each morning early, looked brand new.

Hot coffee and cookies in the main lounge throughout the day.

Business center had a colour printer included with the room rate.

The breakfast bar was not very fresh on our latest stay. The biscuits were hard and the eggs tasted fake. Their pancake machine was also broken.

Overall a nice 4 story hotel in downtown Springfield, we saw a few baseball games as the hotel is across the street.

Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank collinpetit
Robert H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express and Suites Springfield - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2016

On behalf of the entire team, thank you for your positive comments regarding your stay at the Holiday Inn Express and Suites Downtown. We are so humbled by your feedback and we truly value your loyalty!