“If it is within your budget then this is a great place to stay”

Holiday Inn Express and Suites Springfield - Downtown
Ranked #24 of 49 Hotels in Springfield
GreenLeadersBronze level
Kansas City
“If it is within your budget then this is a great place to stay”
Reviewed 21 October 2010

I stayed here for one week and didn't have any bad experiences during my entire stay here. The free breakfast in the morning had enough variation that I did not get tired of it all week. While it is not one of the cheapest places to stay in the area if you can afford it then I would stay here. The hotel itself had a nice clean look and the rooms appeared modern.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Yachiren

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Arkansas
Reviewed 27 July 2010

New, clean hotel with convenient near downtown location. Rooms were spacious, clean. They had both soft and firm pillows. Bed was very comfortable. Breakfast included scrambled eggs, biscuits, sausage, and gravy.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 50StateTravelers
Joplin, Missouri
Reviewed 11 July 2010

We stayed at this hotel during our daughters' orientation session at MSU. We were very tired after a long day of seminars, went into our room to find the trash cans full, the soap opened and used and one of the cups had been unwrapped and used! When I told the front desk clerk about it, she simply handed me fresh soap and sent me on my way! Later we also found out the the in-room movies didn't work either.
The hotel itself was nice inside and the breakfast was good...but I couldn't keep myself from thinking--if all of these things were not done when the room was 'cleaned', how did I know that they even changed the sheets on the bed?
An email to corporate AND a completed survey that they sent to me went unanswered, which leads me to believe they don't really need my business...so we will stay elsewhere during our many visits over the next 4 years.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Misschief2
Colorado Springs, CO
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,017 helpful votes
Reviewed 28 June 2010

We stayed 3 nights at this hotel. It is in town and not on the interstate so it's about a 5 minute drive south of I-44.

The hotel looks new, it's very elegant. We recently stayed at a DisneyWorld Resort and the decor and elegance of this hotel is very comparable to that!

It's a well built hotel, the hallways are quiet and that walls seem thick. But both elevators are extremely slow and not always working properly. One time, I took the elevator to the 1st floor but the door wouldn't open. After waiting a while, I had to push the "door open" button to get out - but it never did that again.

We had some noise our first night, there was a deep booming sound like the base from a rock band but the walls were so thick, we couldn't tell where it was coming from - was it the TV in the room next to us, was it a party outside - we couldn't pinpoint where it was coming from but could still hear it. I am able to fall asleep with noise so it wasn't a problem however, I woke at 3:30am and it was still going on - I couldn't fall back asleep so I know exactly when the booming base sounded ended at 4:30am

The next night was quiet. The third night an entire fireworks display was lit off in the lot directly next to the hotel, it was loud and the windows vibrated. The fireworks show was part of a ball game, it was then I noticed the ball field diagonal from the hotel. The fireworks show started at 8:30pm so it didn't wake us. It lasted a good 10-15 minutes and was pretty amazing to watch from the second floor. It would have been more amazing if it was dark outside but it was still fairly light outside, I am sure they did it early as to not wake or disturb hotel guest.

There is also a train track only 2 blocks from the hotel which you can also see. We did hear trains early in the evening and after breakfast the next day but none at all during the night.

There is a Steak & Shake on the corner and also a Chipotle restaurant too.

The staff here is nice and friendly, the rooms and very clean and large, the hotel is elegant. I would probably have given it 5 stars except on the third morning at breakfast I had a carton of spoiled milk. That can happen anywhere but what bothered me is when I pointed it out to the breakfast attendant, she said she knew she had put out 3 boxes of outdated cartons (I didn't notice the date until afterwards and it was expired) - the milk was so rotten it burned my tongue. I don't think any establishment serving guests food should willingly offer outdated and potentially spoiled food.

If you stay here, please check your milk date before drinking it. Other than that, we had a nice stay and would stay here again.

They have an outdoor pool which looked nice but we didn't swim in. The rooms have a desk with chair, leather sitting chair, TV with good picture and channels. But NO frig or microwave and the beds are only DOUBLE size beds which were really, really small!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank nowincolorado
Robert H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express and Suites Springfield - Downtown, responded to this review, 9 May 2016
On behalf of the entire team, thank you for your positive comments regarding your stay at the Holiday Inn Express and Suites Downtown. We are so humbled by your feedback and we truly value your loyalty!
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 22 May 2010

Very nice hotel! Everything was executed very well. From check in, to the clean room, you couldn’t ask for better. Dale at the Front Desk was great! He was just a fun person to have check us in. The room was awesome too! Breakfast person was really nice, we started eating right at 10am when breakfast was supposed to be over, but she still helped us with a smile on her face.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank StlCardsGuy23
Bartlesville, Oklahoma
Reviewed 24 November 2009

We spent three nights here and enjoyed our stay. The breakfast was good. The staff was knowledgeable and friendly. The hotel was clean and well-cared for. We intend to stay here again.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JoefromOklahoma
Davenport, Iowa
Reviewed 9 November 2009

We stayed here for a wedding that we attended and the Holiday Inn Express was the preferred hotel for the wedding. This is a great hotel, the staff was wonderful, the rooms were extremely clean and the pool was a lot of fun. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and will stay here when we travel back to visit family!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple