“Never In My Life...”

Americas Best Value Inn
Ranked #48 of 51 Hotels in Springfield
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Where do I even start... We get to the room, walk in, there are cockroaches swarming the walls running away when we flipped on the lights... Then we pull the covers back and there are bugs in the sheets, and bugs just swarming the underneath side of the comforter. Absolutely nasty. The ceilings had mold growing on them, the carpet was half torn up and had numerous cigarette burns. There were no towels to even shower with (not that you would want to use a yellow and brown bathtub)... It was horrific..... I didn't even sleep... No point in staying there, I would honestly have been more comfortable in a car. Then as Im checking out I graciously let the manager know that they might want to look in to getting their rooms sprayed because there were so many bugs of different types everywhere... To which the MANAGER replies, "Yeah bugs come in from outside sometimes, it happens. Thank you, have a good day." No concern whatsoever and rude at that. Never would I recommend this hotel to anyone, and never, even if you paid me, would I EVER stay there again. Horrific experience.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Anonymous3003

Reviewed 23 May 2014

First, let me say that if you are booking this hotel online, and looking at the pictures on the Web site, do not be fooled. Those pictures had to be taken at least 20 years ago. The hotel is much more run down and is in horrible disrepair.

My friend and I checked in to a smoking room (our biggest mistake) which was absolutely filthy. Not only did it smell horrible, which I kind of expected a little smell, it was dirty, and there were cigarette burn marks on every single piece of furniture, the vanity, bathtub, toilet, and especially the carpet. We should have checked out immediately, but figured we would only been in the room one night, and we were tired, so we stayed.

The bedspread (which looked to be about 20 years old) and sheets were stained, so I brought up the sleeping bags from the car and we used them, rather than sleep on the sheets. It was just that bad. The two chairs were badly stained. The trim was loose or missing around the floor. The faucet fixtures were loose. The bath towels were tiny and thread-bare, barely enough to get dry.

Like I said, if you are booking this hotel online - BEWARE. I can't imagine the non-smoking rooms being that much of an improvement over the room we rented.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank karen s
Reviewed 12 April 2014

1) They require capturing our drivers license number to check in (why?!?). Nothing like poorly handled PII to start off on the wrong foot.
2) We are Value Club members and wanted to confirm we were getting the discount. The person behind the counter could not validate our rate.
3) We checked in (which charged our card) and later called the 888 number to confirm that we had been charged the wrong rate ... but they wouldn't fix it. We have to submit a claim.

We won't stay here again and recommend saving yourselves the frustration and staying somewhere else.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 January 2014

This first room offered was so bad we didn't even enter. I wanted to leave and get our money back but my wife was tired and didn't want to look for another room.

We went back to the front desk and asked for a room that was clean and presentable. I suggested one of the rooms that was representative of the pictures in their brochure...she just smiled.

Because we had two lap dogs that are crate trained she informed us that we had only two choices, despite the motel being 95% ++vacant. I was extremely unhappy at this point but didn't want to go down a vacant street to futility and relented.

When we entered the room it was just as bad as the first one only worse. The ceiling in the bathroom was falling down, the towels were inadequate unless you were little people and the wash clothes barely covered ones hand.

The carpet was dirty, ragged and badly worn. I chose to leave my shoes on as long as possible and then sleep with my socks on. The bed was so tired that I thought I was bottoming out to the floor. The spread was worn thin, burned, frayed and looked as though it was last washed when the early settlers roamed the hills of southwestern Missouri. The pillows were the size of a large hankey and felt as though there was an old towel folded for the filling. All in all it was deplorable and I assure you it was the first and last time we would ever darken the corridors of this chain.

My lasting impression was that the furniture, bedding, and linens were sold to the only bidder at auction during a fire sale after all the other chains had passed due to poor quality and worn beyond life expectancy.

The next nite we stayed at a Rodeway, which is now part of Choice Hotels, in Tucumcari, and the following night at La Quinta in Phoenix. Both locations provided wonderful service and accommodations and were also less than we paid at Ammeica's Best (worst) Value Inn.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Bernie a
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Very disappointed with this facility. The facility is old and tired. The blanket on the bed was tissue thin, the bedspread had burn holes in it, the drapes were not properly hung, and the carpet was filthy. The bathroom was marginally clean. Because of the poor quality of this facility, I will think twice about staying at any other ABVI locations. The only good thing I can say - the staff was very polite and helpful.

Room Tip: Only stay at this facility if nothing else is available.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 December 2013

This America's Best Value Inn offers more than most in the chain.
What they offer is a clean room, quiet area, continental breakfast (not just coffee), pool, and cable (More channels than just basic).

The staff were very polite and professional.

What you must remember is it is a value motel, not a luxury hotel.
For that niche market, they succeed it providing excellent service for the price.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 November 2013

It had pleasant staff, they were friendly and happy to help with anything, even the wifi connection was good! The room was clean, so were the bedsheets and towels. The bathroom was quite sanitary, didn't have shortage on anything either. The price is great, it was a little surprising to me at first because they provide microwave, great tv channels, and a fridge. It was a easy find,near the main highway, so you cannot miss it. There is enough parking and you can get many of the parking spots literally right next to your room. It is a quite place, so you can expect silence at night. Even though it is not extremely fancy, it has good service, so I got things - like extra pillows and towels - very easily. They also gave good advice on where to go and eat. It was a pleasant stay :-)

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
jayrama, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Thanks a bunch for putting an effort to feed us back on your stay at our hotel. we appreciate that you share your experience about ur staying. Our goal is to make n keep our guest feel like home and comfortable while their stay. once again Thankyou and would love to see you when u come back to springfield Mo.