“Small function & overnight stay”

and 1 more site!
The Mansion at Elfindale Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 11 Springfield B&B and Inns
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Small function & overnight stay”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Very disappointed. The place has so much possibilities. The breakfast should be their signature thing of any B&B. Regardless of any functions going on. Its repeat customers that would build this business. I will never return. Will be surprised if it stays open much longer. To.... many excuses. Owners should stay at A B&B to see how to run one. Only positive, Desk clerk so nice.

Room Tip: A little run down
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Overall a very comfortable stay that I would recommend to anyone. Springfield may not be everyone idea of an ideal destination for a trip it proved to be entertaining. The Mansion at Elfindale is a very exciting stay.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Gilbert, Arizona
Reviewed 4 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed here one night on our way to Kansas City. We had decent rooms with access to a balcony overlooking the front of the property. At 1:20am we were woken up by the sound of children laughing and carrying on in the hallway below us, as they walked from one end of the house to the other. The kids then went outside and were SCREAMING and SHREIKING and running around the property. After ten minutes of this nonsense, with no end in sight, I called the person on call and asked "Why were there 15 kids walking through the house at 1:20am?" The answer I got was that the church next door was having a lock-in and that they were not supposed to be in the house. The lady I talked to was not on site, so all she could do was make a phone call. It didn't work. The noise and yelling went on for thirty minutes more, and my husband finally went out there and found the "chaperone" and explained she needed to get those kids back inside, as everyone in the building could hear them and we were here to SLEEP. The next morning, we went down for breakfast, and the building had been full of guests! No one was around and the front desk to apologize or try to make amends for such a horrible night. I wouldn't recommend this place unless you can be guaranteed there are no church lock-ins that weekend or that anyone who isn't a paying guest or worker be granted access to the building after hours.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank theREALmle
Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed 4 September 2013

My husband and I had a one night stay at Elfindale. I was pretty disappointed. Although I loved the old mansion and its history, it did not have that "welcoming" bed and breakfast feel. The manager was very friendly but she is overworked as she does it all. The web site mentions that there will be tea, coffee, and cookies served. We arrived at 4:00 PM and when we passed by the table with the coffee cannisters, we said to each other "oh great, I'd really like some coffee" so after the manager showed us to our room and we unpacked, we came downstairs to find her microwaving a two cup measuring cup of old coffee which she poured into the serving cannister. And there was not the usual glass jar of ice cold water with lemon slices that would be the norm at most B/B's but there was only a pitcher of warm water. Since we came at the regular checkin time, it surprised me that she was not ready for us. We also expected some peace and quiet since it is set on acreage but the lawn maintenance man was mowing grass for the first hour we were there. The noise stopped and I looked out the window and saw grass shavings all over the sidewalks. This stayed on the sidewalks until around 6:30 PM when he started using the blower to clear off the sidewalks. I just felt that this should have been done before guests started arriving. It really is an interesting old place and it could really be something nice. I'm afraid that if the owner doesn't bring it up a notch, it won't be around much longer. On a positive note,several of the rooms were really nice and they were clean.

Room Tip: The John O'Day Suite is the nicest suite.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Springfield Mo
Reviewed 21 June 2013

I live approximately 35 miles from the mansion. My wife and I love to go to the mansion as a local getaway. This is a fantastic date night for us. the masion is a fantastic piece of history and a bit of a museum. Every room is different and a delight. We really enjoy staying at the masion during the Christmas period. Every room has a Christmas tree and the entire place is decorated for the holiday. Myra the manager is very personable and great to visit with. We have found the mansion a fantastic place for a getaway and a wonderful value for the price.

The masnion has recently added a restaurant for breakfast Tue-Fri 7:30 AM- 10:AM and lunch Wed-Fri 11:00-2:00PM. The chef (Lori) is a fantastic chef and makes everything from scratch. Our recent stay my wife and I took advantage of a romantic dinner for 2 served by chef Lori in our room. A definete do over. If you have the chance you really have to take advantage of this deal.

We love staying at the mansion and going to the restaurant (Saviellos) when we are in town for a great meal.

I give the mansion 5 +++ stars

Room Tip: All the rooms are fantastic and each decorated differently.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paul B
Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed 13 May 2013

I had actually "won" a two-night stay so was excited to share this with my husband. We were to stay Sat and Sun of Mother's Day weekend. I received a phone call on Fri asking when we would arrive and was told that this B&B would only serve breakfast Sun morning and nothing on Mon morning. Myra (manager) advised that normally she discounts the room by $10 during the week to makeup for no breakfast, but since my room was "free" no compensation was offered.

Upon check-in, I found the Mansion to be as described by others - decorated nicely, and filled with historical treasures. It did not smell old, and seemed charming. We were assigned the Veranda Suite - which is quite large with our own personal veranda. If you look at the Veranda Suite on The Mansion's website, you will see that the bed has sunken areas on both sides - really wasn't comfortable. Our bathroom, while charming in quaintness had a dripping shower head all night long and the toilet make a very loud whistling noise when refilling. Part of my package was to include a basket of flowers from a local florist. This was disappointing in that I received a vase of daisies that were dying. I was told that they were delivered to the B&B on Friday and were apparently just set in the room as the water level was only about 1" when I arrived.

I gave a rating of "poor" as I think the little things make a difference when rating customer service. The staff here are well-intentioned, but not over-whelming in providing customer service. My room would have been okay, but little things like (1) no toilet paper on the paper holder - I found a new roll on the window sill and installed it myself; (2) one tissue was in the kleenex box on the nightstand. Offering breakfast pastries on the weekdays would be better than saying "I'm not having my chef come in when there is only the two of you".

This was very disappointing - to the point that we only stayed the one night instead of the two planned.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Judy R
Warrensburg, Missouri, United States
Reviewed 28 March 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the Chapel Suite. We had the entire mansion to ourselves since it was midweek. We were greeted with a brief history of the mansion and how it became this wonderful B&B. We were also encouraged to roam around and check out all the other suites since they were not reserved. We inspected the entire mansion while trying to imagine what it must have been like to live there. Each suite is furnished with antique furniture and bathroom fixtures. Huge hallways, huge suites, huge dining rooms - huge mansion. Very nice and would love to stay there again if the occasion comes up again.

• Stayed March 2013