“Warm and Welcome Experience”
Review of Walnut Street Inn

Walnut Street Inn
Ranked #1 of 11 Springfield B&B and Inns
Los Angeles, California
“Warm and Welcome Experience”
Reviewed 23 March 2014

The staff are professional yet warm and welcoming. I stayed in the lovely McCann Room with a large bathroom area and a clay foot bathtub, fireplace and very comfortable bed. In the morning, the freshly cooked breakfast was delicious and consisted of a frittata, hashbrown potatoes,fresh fruit, juice and tea. The chocolate chip cookie in the room was a welcome treat and amazingly good. I would definitely recommend this bed and breakfast to friends

Room Tip: The McCann room was on the front and can be a bit noisy if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Crytsal Lake, IL
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I am happy to forego Marriott and Hilton points to stay at a place like Walnut Street Inn. The Inn owners are so welcoming and attentive that it will feel like "home" each time you return. I have stayed there twice, but wish that my work brought me to Springfield more often.

They have good, strong Wi-Fi, which is imperative to business travelers. Couple that with a breakfast that is delicious and filling enough to keep you fueled for the entire day. That helps save a little money and is important...as it is 1/2 Bed and 1/2 Breakfast. Walnut Street Inn's breakfast is very nice, but it isn't overboard, which is just fine with me. When I stay at places that have 5 course breakfasts I am impressed and STUFFED, but much of that overeating is because I feel like I MUST eat what they worked so hard to make. That wasn't the case here. It was a perfect amount.

The only negative is that the main house is on a corner with a stop sign. The charming, Victorian construction is NOT very soundproof, and the residents of Springfield apparently like to show off their hot rod's engine power (any time of day or night.) Are these sounds any louder or more annoying than teenage sports teams or drunken conventioneers spilling out of hotel elevators?...absolutely not. I'll choose the street noise. The only other suggestion I have for the owners is to put 2 firm/overstuffed pillows and 2 down or loosely filled pillows in each room. This gives guests a choice and is a technique hotels are starting to employ. My room had 4 highly stuffed, firm pillows. I like a flat, soft and squishy pillow. I'm sure if I had asked they would have done everything in their power to get me a softer, squishier pillow. I just wish it had been there at the outset.

Lastly, I thank the owners for extending a favorable price to me and my colleague. Business travelers really need to keep their costs down and our bosses would not like to see typical B&B prices on their expense reports.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Reviewed 1 February 2014

The Inn is lovingly shared with the public. The rooms are thoughtfully appointed, some with jetted tub and fireplace. The innkeeper is gracious and generous, with well-stocked mini-fridge and fresh cookies. We enjoyed champagne and chocolate as part of a sweetheart package. Breakfast included homemade pear jelly syrup for the apple pancakes.In addition to its cozy rooms, the Inn is convenient to the restaurants and theaters of downtown Springfield, perfect for walking on a balmy day. The only detail that would have made our stay more enjoyable would have been to have time for another day there.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kenna W
Reviewed 13 January 2014

We surprised my girlfriend's visiting parents with a one-night stay in the McCann Room. Gary, Lisa, and staff could not have been friendlier or more helpful. We added +5 for breakfast on Sunday morning, and we felt pampered. We had a nice large table in the den all to ourselves, and it was truly a pleasant way to introduce my mom to her family. The breakfast was delicious and changes daily. They graciously gave us 5 separate historical tours of the property. The geographic location is also perfect for a stay in Springfield with its proximity to downtown and the MSU campus. We will definitely be back and will be sending others that way!

Room Tip: The carriage house is equipped with Jacuzzis and would be great for a romantic getaway or "stay...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Chris P
Reviewed 9 January 2014

This is a really quaint bed and breakfast located in the middle of Walnut Street. It's always very clean, the staff is extremely helpful and friendly, and the accommodations are wonderful. We generally stay here on New Year's Eve. My only suggestion: Invest in new pillows. The beds have all been very comfortable, but the pillows are lacking. Our breakfast was amazing.

Room Tip: All rooms are great. Each is very unique in its own way.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I stayed here during a business trip and really enjoyed it! The accommodations were very comfortable, with lots of thoughtful touches. The breakfast was delicious and the staff was very courteous! Location is near lots of great restaurants downtown.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Walnut Inn has been a treasure that my girlfriend and I have enjoyed for the past few years. It is a great place to consider for spending quality time with your loved one. The innkeepers are all very friendly and really make you feel at home. The house carries an impressive amount of history with it, having each room dedicated to a famous individual from around the Springfield area. This year, we stayed in the O'neill Room which had a jacuzzi tub, a gas fire place, and was beautifully decorated to create a cozy atmosphere. My favorite part of staying in this particular room was the sunrise and the sunset through the windows lighting up the room as well as the king size bed. I would recommend this Inn to anyone who is looking for a great B&B experience!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple