“The perfect getaway”

Ranked #1 of 11 Springfield B&B and Inns
Springfield, MO
“The perfect getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2010

It is always a pleasure to return to the Walnut Street Inn. I leave the outside world and am transferred to luxury, comfort and warmth here. The world is always a cozier place when I am at the Inn.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2010

I traveled with my teen daughter here over the weekend. I couldnt have been happier with everything from, the check-in experience: We arrived 8 45 pm. Gary was there to offer a friendly welcome , his first question was "Are you hungry?,I can call over to this Italian restaurant and see if they are still serving", He did , they were about to close, but he asked them if we could come over anyway!!! We walked over to Gilardi's Italian Rest., and ordered a couple of dishes to go (didnt want to impose too much!) We carried our food to the back porch of the Inn , where they had tables set-up with little strands of lights everywhere, simply charming, and had a great first night. The food we ate from Gilardi's was top notch, made fresh , hot, delicious, Had the best Caprese Salad , had also Chicken Penne with Vodka cream sauce...omgosh amazing! Eat there!!
Its a stroll away from the Inn on the same side of the street , behind another Victorian Historical home.
Meanwhile , back at the Inn , They tell you each night what is for breakfast the next morning, they also ask what time you would like to eat breakfast, and if you want to eat at the main table downstairs or if you want brought to room. ! Each morning the food was amazing, made fresh AFTER I sat down with my coffee and orange juice, so everything was hot and delicious.Oh, coffee lovers....YUM! They have there own special blend...its addictive any time of day, they always have it available for guests.
The rooms are dreamy, we stayed in the Rosen Room, a smallish room with 1 qn bed , large bathroom, a desk, a chaise lounge reading area. It was plenty large enough for the two of us.,. Outside of the room is a sitting area with books, games , fridge with waters and sodas available to the guests.
I saw a couple of other rooms while I was there, they all have there own special charm and uniqueness. The only thing negative I would say about our room, its on a corner part of the house upstairs, and there is an intersection , the Inn is on a corner of John Q Hammons and Walnut. And keeping in mind its a college town, so late night driving around is the norm, all of that said, I could hear cars all nite long, and what always saves me from letting that ruin my stay somewhere is travelling with a sound machine, it helps block out outside noise!
All in all, I love this place, cannot wait to return . And I would even stay in the Rosen room again , if I was travelling by myself or with another daughter.
Now when I travel with my husband next time, I might try the room right next to it, its a little bigger , it has its own area with a private tub and separate bathroom area. It was really beautiful. The one room I thought was insanely awesome, is the Benton Room, up to the attic area, It is for a larger family , it has 2 qn beds , a couch TV area, a seperate bathroom, and many more cute corners of interest. It was large. really cool.
Well thats probably the best review I have ever given any place. Hope u book this place and enjoy!

Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2010

We stayed at the Walnut Street Inn in July, and I can’t rave enough about the experience. We were greeted by Gary, the innkeeper, who was both friendly and knowledgeable. We were in the Carver Room, the former library in the main house, which was immaculately clean and lovingly maintained. The furnishings and décor were mostly what you would expect in a B&B, but everything was even more meticulous than I anticipated. The room had a small refrigerator with complimentary sodas and water, and freshly baked cookies awaited us by the side of the bed each afternoon. We were allowed to select our breakfast time, and the chef happily made vegetarian meals both mornings for us. The food was excellent and varied each day. The location of the inn is perfect, just a short walk from the downtown and on a beautiful, historical street. The staff were also highly present and happy to make dining suggestions. My only complaints about the stay were the shower – the water temperature was too variable, and the pressure was too low – and the pillow – which was a little hard. Neither would preclude me from staying at the Walnut Street Inn again. It was the perfect way to spend a weekend in Springfield, and I cannot recommend it highly enough. If you’re headed to Springfield, skip a corporate hotel for a stay at the Walnut Street Inn.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2010

This B&B is just wonderful. It's clean, has a great location, owner and employees are very friendly, and it's a great value. You won't be disappointed! They even place freshly baked cookies in your room every day. We will definitely stay at this charming B&B again.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2010

The room was wonderful. Even better than the pictures looked. I stayed in the Jordan Room. The steam shower and feather bed were the best. I was there for a conference at the big conference hotel across the street. Breakfast was great. All the staff was friendly and helpful. Hopefully someday I can make it back here with my wife.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank masterjohnson
Kansas City, MO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2010

I stay at the Walnut Street Inn a few times each year. Gary is always warm and welcoming and I feel like I'm "coming home" every time I visit. The decor is classic B&B with antiques which normally doesn't appeal to me but they have made this place crisp, clean, and comfortable. I have stayed in most of the rooms and haven't found one that I do not like. The rooms are stocked with soda, water, and fresh baked cookies. The breakfasts are always delicious. The location is within walking distance of "downtown" Springfield and many restaurants.

My only criticism would be the pillows, not a fan of their pillows.
I tried to book a room for another trip and they were full! So book early if you can.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
Kansas City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2010

When traveling please seek out locally owned establishments as I did with the Walnut Street Inn. This practice will make your travel much more rewarding. In regards to the Walnut Street Inn, right from the very first contact to checking out, the personal attention from Gary and his staff was just wonderful. The Inn had two very different clients within our party, my 70 year old mother and myself, her 43 year old daughter. We each had seperate agendas and needs during our stay at the Inn. Gary and staff tailored their service to meet our individual needs with above and beyond attention to detail. The Inn is beautuful and the breakfasts are delicious but there is much more if you take the time to appreciate your surroundings. There is the hsitory of the Inn and each of the rooms, there is a fantastic walking tour of Walnut Street, there is a wonderful Italian restaurant on the next block, and there is unique shopping in the downtown area. Here is the real treasure, when Gary recommends a local shop or restaurant and you just happen to mention the Inn and the owner replies "oh that is such a nice place, I have all of my family stay there when they are in town, and Gary is such a nice guy" . The reward is you have just met another very nice person and gain a sense of being welcomed into their community family. When you return you will be welcomed back in the same warm and caring way; this is the treasure you take with you. Oh did I mention the plate of yummy cookies they leave in your room...I highly recommend the Walnut Street Inn.

• Stayed May 2010