“Be careful at the Homestay” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Econo Lodge I-44

Econo Lodge I-44
Ranked #38 of 49 Hotels in Springfield
Seligman
“Be careful at the Homestay”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

To start with if you are a smoker stay away from this place. The owner and manager of this property relegate smokers as 3rd class people and put them in the last building with the small crowded rooms that they put the homeless people in in the winter and the truck drivers and the dopers in. I guess they don't think a smoker deserves a nice clean room. Also there is no security at this building and they can not see it from the desk. The police are called there pretty often so if you have kids you can let them out when they are there. I have talked to the owner and was told he would nmake more smoking rooms but that was about 1 1/2 or 2 years ago and nothing has happened yet. Any time we used to go to Springfield we would stay there because it was always very clean and the people were nice. That has all changed. There are only 2 of the old people there and the new people could care less. We have just about quit going to Springfield because of this. The owner tries to tell everyone that the smoking ordinance in Sprinefield will not let him do anything about the problem but that is not entirely ture. As far as non smokers take you'r chances. The rooms are not as clean as they used to be because the new maids don't care like the old staff did. This manager has the same problem as the staff. She doesn't care. To sum it all up this used to be a great place to stay and could be again if the owner wanted it to be, but he thinks a little paint can cover up all the problems. A very sad end to what used to be great.

Room Tip: Rooms in the first building are the nicest and the quietest but they are all non smoking. These are...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Thebrasssalesman
Homestayinn, General Manager at Econo Lodge I-44, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
Brasssalesman
Thank you for your review, we are always interested in the opinions of our guests. I am very sorry that you were left with the impression that the management and staff do not care about the hotel or the needs of the guest.
I can assure you that we do in fact take our guests concerns seriously. The entire staff here at Homestay Inn takes pride in our property and feel that we have come a long way in improvements over the past year.
We do not treat smokers or any of our guests as anything but the most important people in Springfield. Unfortunately; due to the smoking ban that is in effect in Springfield, we have to limit the number of rooms and location of the rooms that are designated “smoking.” The smoking ban states that “all of the rooms designated as smoking rooms, have to be in the same building and cannot be more than 25% of the hotels total number of rooms.” We are currently at that number, and the smoking rooms have been in the same building for the past several years. The rooms are all the same size; however, we do have different size beds available in queen and double beds. We have currently renovated most of the hotel but still have some rooms that are under renovation and we do expect this to be completed soon.
Our location, amenities and rates make us very popular with the trucking industry as well as overnight travelers, families and corporate business clients. No one is put in a smoking room unless that is their preference. We try to accommodate special requests whenever possible. We do not feel that safety is an issue. The entire property is camera monitored and the Springfield police department can be seen patrolling all businesses in the area. We feel that the hotel is very safe and families are welcomed and encouraged. The cleanliness of our rooms is indeed important to all of us here and we are sorry if you had issues with your room. When ever an issue is reported to our front desk staff, it is resolved immediately. We have had some changes in our staff as some have moved on to pursue other careers.
The staff at The Homestay Inn will continue to provide clean, quality rooms and friendly customer service for a great price and we hope that you will continue to visit Springfield and stay with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Allen, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

I'm a truck driver that happened to have my truck repaired in town and needed a place to stay for a few days. At the repair facility, there was a brochure from this establishment. I called the phone number and was greeted pleasantly by the front desk employee. This was early p.m. and was told I could check-in early and check-out late. The room has a microwave, refrigerator & coffee maker. This really helped save money, since Walmart is accross the street. The staff was very friendly & helpful. I really enjoyed the included breakfast. Since I was their guest due to truck issues, I really liked the computer in the lobby that allowed me access to my facebook account. I was able to see a new picture of my 1 mo. old grandson:)

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank 1KDG
Homestayinn, General Manager at Econo Lodge I-44, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
Allen
Thank you for giving us feedback on how our hotel is doing. We value your comments and opinion as we do our best to see that all our guests are comfortable and happy. We look forward to being your hotel whenever you are in Springfield.
Story City, Iowa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

I have been staying at this location for nearly 4 years, the usual stay is every other month for at least three days and as long as two weeks. I have had no complaints until now. Recently there has been a management change, at that time I began noticeing the rooms stank, yes they are smokers rooms but I am a smoker and am used to that kind of stink, these smelled unclean. I have found used ash trays under beds, flood flung on a wall behind the fridge cabinet , it was out in the open, easily seen by anyone cleaning the top of the cabinet and coffee pot, dirty handprinted sticky head boards, filthy window sills, bugs, cob webs with spider eggs, dirty legdes around sink area, dusty lamp shades, cracked lamp shades from age, not abuse. All I can say is, no excuse... lets clean the rooms like they should be. I dont want to be living with other peoples dirt, body fluids and bugs. Thanks

Room Tip: try to select a room on the top floor, the beds are better.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ldydriver
Ldydriver
I am so very sorry that you encountered issues with your room during your last stay here at the Homestay Inn. I spoke to you before you left our property and was under the impression that all was taken care of. We have underwent many changes, all of them positive and do hope that you will stay with us again. I believe you will be pleasantly surprised with your next visit. If i can be of any assistance please call me and i will gladly help in any way I can.
SPRINGFIELD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2012

We stayed in this hotel on our way back from Phoenix. The rooms were very clean, the staff was very friendly and the breakfast was delicious. Will stay here again on another trip. Thank you :)

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Sharon
Thank you for taking the time to let us and others know how we are doing, we take pride in pleasing our guests and are happy to hear that you will be staying with us in the future. We look forward to being your hotel while in you are in Springfield.
Phoenix
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2012

This location provides rooms for many of the CDL drivers with terminals in the area, and there is limited parking for large rigs behind the close by Bob Evans restaurant. It is 2 minutes off I-44 at exit 80, with many restaurants south of the hotel, although we did not hear any highway noise.

Our 2nd floor room was OK ... clean, but simple. Beds were OK, not luxurious linens. The room had a small frig/freezer and microwave. Breakfast was the typical carbs - no protein - self-served on styro plates.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
RVingFt
Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing. We wanted to let you know that we have recently added several new items to the breakfast bar and have upgraded many of our rooms. Your opinion is valued here at Homestay Inn and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Springfield.
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2012

We picked this hotel because we were traveling to MO for a weekend getaway and wanted somewhere inexpensive to stay. I was nervous because this hotel was EXTREMELY inexpensive and I generally equate cost to quality. I was very wrong and I'm glad. The hotel was amazing! It wasn't a 4 star of course, but it was very clean and very comfortable. The staff was VERY friendly, and even though I saw complaints about the shower being short, I'm 5'11, I lifted the shower head up and was able to shower just fine. The breakfast was very good for the price and overall I think this is an excellent establishment.

Room Tip: There are no hair dryers, so bring your own.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Melaney G
Thank you for taking the time to tell us and others about your stay at The Homestay Inn. We are glad you had a wonderful experience and look forward to seeing you again soon.
Hampden, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2011

We always stop at state visitor centers to pick up the hotel discount coupon books. We normally get a good deal, this time we fell into a great deal. Very inexpensive and a large, clean room with lots of extras. This one goes on the list to stay here again the next time we are in the area. Several restaurants within walking distance.

Room Tip: Walmart just down the street.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Homestayinn, General Manager at Econo Lodge I-44, responded to this review, 28 March 2012
Hobarth
I would like to thank you for your review of our property. The management and staff take pride in our hotel and do our best to see that each guest is happy. We are pleased that you had a great experience and look forward to seeing you again soon.