“Not too clean, spiders, struggling A/C”
Review of Econo Lodge I-44

Econo Lodge I-44
Ranked #41 of 49 Hotels in Springfield
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Not too clean, spiders, struggling A/C”
Reviewed 29 May 2012

Stopped here during a move from TX to MO, only motel available, rented 3 rooms.
My room was not very clean and the A/C unit was struggling to produce cool air. The high and low settings did not appear to act any different on the air unit.
There were a few spiders coming from the bathtub drain, and the windowsill had some dead flying insects on it.
My nephew had to switch rooms, as he reported numerous spiders coming from his bathtub drain.
Occupant of third room reported similar cleanliness issues.
I did not have the free breakfast, but the others in my party did and reported it to be less than satisfactory.
I will say the front desk clerk was friendly and welcoming and even advised the best place to park my travel trailer for the night so that it would be within motel surveillance.

Room Tip: Based on the the condition of our three rooms, I don't suspect any room is better than another...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Homestayinn, General Manager at Econo Lodge I-44, responded to this review, 4 June 2012
Lucas
Thank you for letting us know about the problems you encountered while staying at our property. We do take the concerns of our customers very seriously and I would like to apologize for the problems you encountered while you were a guest here. I am sorry that the air conditioning unit did not get as cold as you had expected. The AC units normally work very well. I am also sorry to hear about the insect issues, this is also something we do not get a lot of complaints about. I was disappointed to hear that you did not take advantage of our free hot breakfast. While other comparable hotels in the immediate area offer a limited continental breakfast and others offer none, we are very proud to offer a hot breakfast for our guests that include biscuits and gravy, scrambled eggs and fresh hot waffles. There are many restraurants such as, Bob Evans, Ziggies cafe`, and Shoney’s just to name a few that are within walking distance of the hotel for those who are looking for a bigger variety. We feel that we have a very nice, clean, comfortable hotel and offer unbeatable rates for the amenities that are included. We hope that you will come and stay with us again. We value our guests here at The Homestay Inn and it is our goal to make each one feel special. We hope to see you in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
De Queen, Arkansas, United States
Reviewed 30 April 2012

I would recomend this hotel the staff is very friendly and the rooms were very clean i dont like not sleeping in my own bed but if your going to be somewhere other than your own home this is the kind of place you want to be I live in south arkansas and when i go back this is the place i will go back too as i said the service and rooms were the best .

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Homestayinn, General Manager at Econo Lodge I-44, responded to this review, 2 May 2012
Karen Z
We appreciate your review of our hotel. We take pride in the cleanliness of the rooms and our friendly customer service to all of our guests. We hope that you took advantage of our hot breakfast durring your stay and hope to see you again soon.
Batesville,Ar
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Was in Springfield for the weekend and stayed at the Homestay Inn and had the best experience.

Room Tip: Would for sure stay here again and others should too
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Ann M
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again very soon.
Seligman
Reviewed 29 April 2012

To start with if you are a smoker stay away from this place. The owner and manager of this property relegate smokers as 3rd class people and put them in the last building with the small crowded rooms that they put the homeless people in in the winter and the truck drivers and the dopers in. I guess they don't think a smoker deserves a nice clean room. Also there is no security at this building and they can not see it from the desk. The police are called there pretty often so if you have kids you can let them out when they are there. I have talked to the owner and was told he would nmake more smoking rooms but that was about 1 1/2 or 2 years ago and nothing has happened yet. Any time we used to go to Springfield we would stay there because it was always very clean and the people were nice. That has all changed. There are only 2 of the old people there and the new people could care less. We have just about quit going to Springfield because of this. The owner tries to tell everyone that the smoking ordinance in Sprinefield will not let him do anything about the problem but that is not entirely ture. As far as non smokers take you'r chances. The rooms are not as clean as they used to be because the new maids don't care like the old staff did. This manager has the same problem as the staff. She doesn't care. To sum it all up this used to be a great place to stay and could be again if the owner wanted it to be, but he thinks a little paint can cover up all the problems. A very sad end to what used to be great.

Room Tip: Rooms in the first building are the nicest and the quietest but they are all non smoking. These are...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Thebrasssalesman
Homestayinn, General Manager at Econo Lodge I-44, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
Brasssalesman
Thank you for your review, we are always interested in the opinions of our guests. I am very sorry that you were left with the impression that the management and staff do not care about the hotel or the needs of the guest.
I can assure you that we do in fact take our guests concerns seriously. The entire staff here at Homestay Inn takes pride in our property and feel that we have come a long way in improvements over the past year.
We do not treat smokers or any of our guests as anything but the most important people in Springfield. Unfortunately; due to the smoking ban that is in effect in Springfield, we have to limit the number of rooms and location of the rooms that are designated “smoking.” The smoking ban states that “all of the rooms designated as smoking rooms, have to be in the same building and cannot be more than 25% of the hotels total number of rooms.” We are currently at that number, and the smoking rooms have been in the same building for the past several years. The rooms are all the same size; however, we do have different size beds available in queen and double beds. We have currently renovated most of the hotel but still have some rooms that are under renovation and we do expect this to be completed soon.
Our location, amenities and rates make us very popular with the trucking industry as well as overnight travelers, families and corporate business clients. No one is put in a smoking room unless that is their preference. We try to accommodate special requests whenever possible. We do not feel that safety is an issue. The entire property is camera monitored and the Springfield police department can be seen patrolling all businesses in the area. We feel that the hotel is very safe and families are welcomed and encouraged. The cleanliness of our rooms is indeed important to all of us here and we are sorry if you had issues with your room. When ever an issue is reported to our front desk staff, it is resolved immediately. We have had some changes in our staff as some have moved on to pursue other careers.
The staff at The Homestay Inn will continue to provide clean, quality rooms and friendly customer service for a great price and we hope that you will continue to visit Springfield and stay with us.

Travellers are raving about these Springfield hotels

Allen, Michigan
Reviewed 23 February 2012

I'm a truck driver that happened to have my truck repaired in town and needed a place to stay for a few days. At the repair facility, there was a brochure from this establishment. I called the phone number and was greeted pleasantly by the front desk employee. This was early p.m. and was told I could check-in early and check-out late. The room has a microwave, refrigerator & coffee maker. This really helped save money, since Walmart is accross the street. The staff was very friendly & helpful. I really enjoyed the included breakfast. Since I was their guest due to truck issues, I really liked the computer in the lobby that allowed me access to my facebook account. I was able to see a new picture of my 1 mo. old grandson:)

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank 1KDG
Homestayinn, General Manager at Econo Lodge I-44, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
Allen
Thank you for giving us feedback on how our hotel is doing. We value your comments and opinion as we do our best to see that all our guests are comfortable and happy. We look forward to being your hotel whenever you are in Springfield.
Story City, Iowa
Reviewed 16 February 2012

I have been staying at this location for nearly 4 years, the usual stay is every other month for at least three days and as long as two weeks. I have had no complaints until now. Recently there has been a management change, at that time I began noticeing the rooms stank, yes they are smokers rooms but I am a smoker and am used to that kind of stink, these smelled unclean. I have found used ash trays under beds, flood flung on a wall behind the fridge cabinet , it was out in the open, easily seen by anyone cleaning the top of the cabinet and coffee pot, dirty handprinted sticky head boards, filthy window sills, bugs, cob webs with spider eggs, dirty legdes around sink area, dusty lamp shades, cracked lamp shades from age, not abuse. All I can say is, no excuse... lets clean the rooms like they should be. I dont want to be living with other peoples dirt, body fluids and bugs. Thanks

Room Tip: try to select a room on the top floor, the beds are better.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank ldydriver
Ldydriver
I am so very sorry that you encountered issues with your room during your last stay here at the Homestay Inn. I spoke to you before you left our property and was under the impression that all was taken care of. We have underwent many changes, all of them positive and do hope that you will stay with us again. I believe you will be pleasantly surprised with your next visit. If i can be of any assistance please call me and i will gladly help in any way I can.
SPRINGFIELD
Reviewed 4 February 2012

We stayed in this hotel on our way back from Phoenix. The rooms were very clean, the staff was very friendly and the breakfast was delicious. Will stay here again on another trip. Thank you :)

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Sharon
Thank you for taking the time to let us and others know how we are doing, we take pride in pleasing our guests and are happy to hear that you will be staying with us in the future. We look forward to being your hotel while in you are in Springfield.