“Grand old lady not so grand any more”

University Plaza Hotel and Convention Center
Ranked #17 of 52 Hotels in Springfield
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We upgraded to a suite. The door was hard to open, both the handle was messed up at the door itself was hard to open. The room smelled like it had been wet, my daughter said it smelled like a dirty wet sock. Breakfast included in price was decent, swimming pool nice. Front desk staff were nice but not overly friendly. What once was a great property is now pretty average.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Robert H, General Manager at University Plaza Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

We are always delighted to hear from our returning guests and are honored to be considered one of your favorite hotels in Springfield. We are so pleased you experienced excellent and accommodating service from our staff, and found our guestrooms to be spacious and comfortable. We look forward to continuing to exceed your expectations during your future visits with University Plaza Hotel.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,106)

Reviewed 3 July 2014

The service for breakfast was amazing! The food was good and the staff was great. Our server Kathy really took care of us. There were a lot of options on the breakfast bar for cold and hot choices. There were also several drink choices. The lobby area is very nice and I lived the waterfall.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Sativa B

University Plaza Hotel, is delighted you enjoyed the atmosphere, people and food at the Terrace Grille We will be sure to share your kind feedback with the chef!

We can’t wait to see you again soon!

Reviewed 1 July 2014

We were very pleased with our stay here! The front desk staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The lobby is absolutely gorgeous and the views from the top were really awesome. We felt as if we were staying in a high end hotel, but paid a very affordable price for our one night stay. The breakfast is better than most places and we were surprised that it was included because of how much it included. It feels as if you are eating in a real restaurant and not a hotel lobby. Both the indoor and outdoor pool areas are very clean and well kept. I highly recommend staying here!

Room Tip: Higher floors have a good view and less noise form the open floor plan of the establishment.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Robert H, General Manager at University Plaza Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Our Team highly appreciates your fantastic review. Thank you so very much for staying with us and taking the time to provide your comments. We look forward to your next visit to wonderful Springfield and the University Plaza. Best wishes for continued safe travels.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

I travel here every week for work. I love the location of the hotel as well as the hotel offerings. The restaurant and the spa are wonderful, I have used both. I love the coffee and the free breakfast as well. I love the room service. Tate, Mike and Aaron made a wonderful meal for me.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Robert H, General Manager at University Plaza Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Thank you for all your kind remarks about our team and our hotel! Our team works hard to create a welcoming and comfortable atmosphere and it's great to hear you enjoyed it.

Thank you, again, for being our guest!

Reviewed 29 June 2014

From the moment we drive up we knew our stay would be great! Sam the bellhop helped with our luggage and placed it in our room. Sam was smiling and pleasant the whole time! We learned the next day he took an employee to the ER who was ill! How awesome was that!! I hope I don't miss anyone from the Desk because each of them were friendly and crazy polite! Susan checked us in quickly, Emily gave us directions, Jen called for maintenance when we had a tub issue and was so apologetic about it, Katelin told us about an amazing pizza place Pappos! Gitano drove us there in the spotless van (we travel a bunch and most vans ARE NOT CLEAN!!) Amelia told us about a great breakfast place, which Sam drove us to. I I am not sure if it was Chad or Aaron who made my steak I had the second night we were there....but let me say was the most amazing piece of beef I have ever shoved in my mouth! Not often you get to meet the chef but we did because they were visible in the dining area and spoke to us at our table! A very sweet young man named George brought us some extra towels because we had walked all over downtown and was very sweaty when Gitano picked us up (poor guy I hope we didn't stink too bad!) I really hope I didn't leave anyone out! Whew! To say the least we will be back again! Only downside to our stay the rooms are a little outdated, but the well trained friendly staff makes up for it!!

• Stayed: June 2014
Robert H, General Manager at University Plaza Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

I can’t begin to tell you how happy it made me to read about your experience at our hotel. The team here strives to make each guest experience as close to perfect as humanly possible. When we accomplish that goal we’ve done our job. I am so honored that you choose University Plaza Hotel and Convention Center while you were in Springfield. And we’re extremely grateful that you took the time out of your busy schedule to share this wonderful feedback and recognize our amazing staff. I really appreciate it and know the team will as well when I share it with them.

We look forward to welcoming you back again the next time you are in town, we are starting renovations of the interior in August, I am sure you will be pleased. If I can do anything for you during your next visit to our hotel, please do not hesitate to call me.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Quiet hotel tho it is a large hotel., staff at registration desk and on phone for reservations very calm and pleasant. Beds were very comfortable. Hotel was very clean. Great complimentary full ( hot ) breakfast. Would highly recommend

• Stayed: June 2014

We do hope that you will find your way back to Springfield and to the University Plaza Hotel and Convention Center sometime soon. Thank you very much for your review we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

We are here with a group of car enthusiests for an Antique Car show and meeting our experience at this hotel has been very good. The rooms are very neat and tidy. The staff are courteous and efficient and the restaurant facilities are very good. We were looked after by Tate from the restaurant and found him to be very friendly and helpful which made our experience all the more enjoyable.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends