“DO NOT STAY HERE”

University Plaza Hotel and Convention Center
Ranked #17 of 51 Hotels in Springfield
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I'm writing my very first review because of my stay at this hotel over this past weekend. Checked in on Friday, but had to wait for over an hour for our room to be ready. Got up on Saturday morning to NO HOT WATER anywhere in the hotel. Roommate and I decided to go do some shopping so left the hotel around 10am returned about 2:30 and our room was not cleaned. Notified guest services and was told that someone would be notified. At 4:00 went and found housekeeping person on our floor and got clean towels and gave her our trash. Told the desk manager of the situation when I checked out this morning and was told "Sorry" but was not offered any compensation. I'm not a happy camper?

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Martie M
Robert H, General Manager at University Plaza Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Please accept our sincere apology for the issues you experienced during your recent stay. We strive every day to make sure our guest enjoy their time with us and have a pleasant night's sleep. Unfortunately this did not happen in your case, and we can offer no excuses.

Your comments have been shared with all of our staff with the hopes of improving our service to all of our guests.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Just spent 4 nights at the University Plaza. World's firmest beds. Did not sleep well and came home exhausted. Not good when you are busy at a conference and very tired at night. Hopefully, the beds will be upgraded before I go next year or I'm taking an air mattress.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Linda T

Receiving feedback from our guest enables us to improve while being able to accommodate all of our guests a little better upon each visit. Thank you for taking the time to write a review in regards to your stay at the University Plaza Hotel and Convention Center.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Just returned from a 4-day, 3-night conference at University Plaza. I will address the "bad" first.... BAD BEDS.... maybe the worst hotel bed I have ever slept on. We had about 185 people at our conference and the cheap, hard beds were a topic of discussion all three days. Hard to understand why a hotel would put so much money into making the hotel look nice and then provide terrible beds for guests to suffer through during their trip. One conference attendee told me that after the first night of the conference, he actually tore the bedding off the bed and slept in the floor because it was more comfortable. I did not go that far, but each day for me started out with a hot shower attempting to get my back muscles back to normal after a night in the bed. University Plaza, PLEASE replace the current slabs you provide as "beds" with a quality mattress & box spring!!!!!

My other complaint was regarding the cooling of my room. I was in room 926 on the top floor of the hotel, and I spoke with two other individuals who were on the 9th floor whose experience was the same. The room was hot when I walked in, but the thermostat was sitting on 68. I turned the thermostat all the way down to 61, and while that brougt the temperature in the room down to a tolerable level, it was still pretty warm in the room the whole trip.

I would also suggest the hotel consider adding benches outside the entrance to the conference room facilities like it has near the entrance to the hotel.

Now, the positives.

The hotel is well-decorated. The front-desk staff performed with a friendly and professional demeanor. The food staff at all of our meals were superb, and the meals themselves were adequate. The conference rooms were set-up very well. Parking at the hotel is excellent. The hotel is located in a VERY safe neighborhood and is just a couple blocks from Hammons Field, home of the Springfield Cardinals. There were a lot of options on the breakfast bar at the Terrace Grill so hotel guests do not have to go out and spend money on breakfast. The breakfast was included in my hotel stay,and all the items I had were tasty. The indoor-outdoor pool facilities were well-maintained, and the fitness room appeared to be in good working order as well.

There is a very nice Walgreens just a few blocks from the hotel. In addition, the hotel is only a few blocks from the campus of Missouri State University. To the south of the hotel is Walnut Street which is a really pretty street to walk as many of the historical homes on Walnut Street have been restored to their original condition.

Again, I would give 5-stars if not for the shoddy beds, but a bad bed ruins my trip faster than anything else can, because if I am hurting, I can not enjoy myself. For that reason alone, I give only 3 stars. For anyone who can't sleep comfortably on a floor, I absolutely would not recommend this hotel to you because the beds really are that hard.

Room Tip: If you prefer a cool room, I would suggest that you request a room on a lower floor as the rooms on...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

It is disappointing when a guest leaves and feels they did not have their expectations met nor does it reflect the high standards of customer service that we set. While we never like to read that one of our guests has experienced poor service, we are always grateful for the feedback so that we may address the issues with our managers. Please accept our apologies for any inconveniences you may have experienced. Thank you for sharing your story with us.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Stayed here five nights recently for convention which was held across the street. All rooms (9 floors) are the type that open out to hallways which look down upon the hotel center (atrium style), While on occasion I could hear the noise from the gathering area below, once I stepped away from the entranceway to my room (where the beds, etc where located) the noise was barely discernible. The food was very good and the buffet breakfast was one of the best I've ever seen/tasted! Complimentary bike rentals were available, although I did not have the time to take advantage of this. Hotel staff was very pleasant. A spa/salon is off the lobby... with very reasonable pricing.

Room Tip: The higher, the better most likely due to the center of the hotel being a gathering spot. I stayed o...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jillthetravellover

On behalf of the entire team, thank you for your positive comments regarding your stay at the University Plaza Hotel & Convention Center. We are so humbled by your feedback.

Comments like yours truly inspire us to work harder every day to exceed our guests’ expectations always striving for Excellence. We can’t wait till our next opportunity to serve you when your travels next bring you to Springfield.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

I stayed here to check it out as a possible hotel for wedding guests to stay at next spring. I tried to go to sleep at 11:00 pm, but the people noise from the lobby area was unbelievably loud. I called the front desk and was told they were asking people to quiet down, but if anything the noise level increased after 11:30. The air conditioner and toilet were loud also. The hotel smells of chlorine upon entering. My guests will not be staying here.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank darnold913
Robert H, General Manager at University Plaza Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Reviewed 8 July 2014

I recently attended a convention at the University Plaza Hotel. The service provided by the wait staff at the functions was phenomenal. There were well over 500 people - our food was brought out quickly, was hot and despite the numbers the wait staff attended to our needs during the meal. At the banquet I requested a gluten free meal. Mason, our server, promptly served me my special meal and then also served me a gluten free dessert. He was polite, friendly and very competent. I would highly recommend this facility for functions.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Liz R

On behalf of the entire team, thank you for your positive comments regarding your banquet at the University Plaza Hotel & Convention Center. We are so humbled by your feedback and we truly value your loyalty!

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We concur with the rest of you that thought the University Plaza was a great place to stay, and at a very good price. Staff in general were wonderful, but a special thanks goes out to 'Mason', a very personable young man who looked after us in the banquet room, and who went above and beyond the call of duty to see that we were well taken care of. On the other end of the spectrum, our only complaint would be with the in house wifi which seldom worked anywhere on the premises, which was somewhat annoying over our 5 day stay. Would we stay there again....you bet.

Room Tip: Closer to the elevator will save a long walk.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you so much for your wonderful review and positive rating from your recent stay at the University Plaza Hotel and Convention Center! It was our pleasure to host you and we are thrilled to hear that Mason exceeded your expectations.

We look forward to your return.