“Clean rooms and beautiful lobby”

University Plaza Hotel and Convention Center
Ranked #16 of 49 Hotels in Springfield
GreenLeadersBronze level
Kansas
“Clean rooms and beautiful lobby”
Reviewed 26 October 2009

We stayed overnight while in town to see friends. The hotel is a short drive from the trendy downtown bars and shops and the area it is in felt safe. We didn't have time to enjoy the restaurant or lounge but the menu looked yummy.

The rooms are pretty and I loved the extra area outside the bathroom with sink and mirror. It made getting ready in the morning so much easier. The shower was very clean and the curved curtain rod made it more spacious. TV was a little small but worked fine.

Check in was quick and they do have bell service if you need help. The young lady at the front desk was very sweet and helpful. Didn't have much need for help from the staff but the ones we did encounter seemed very nice.

They have a fitness center that my hubby would have loved to have a chance to use but we didn't have time. It looks well equipped and clean. We didn't see the pool so I can't say anything about that.

I only have a few complaints. The lobby is an atrium so the noise in the morning from people at breakfast was a little loud. It did wake me up and we were on the 7th floor. I also was very glad I brought my hair dryer from home. The one in the room was weak and sounded like it was going to give up the ghost at any moment. I didn't ask for a new one thought since I had mine. They probably have extras for guests if you request one.

Overall a lovely stay. We got a great deal and it was in the perfect location for us. We will be back.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TinyRabbit
rhenley9, General Manager at University Plaza Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
Receiving feedback from our guest enables us to improve while begin able to accommodate all of our guest a little better upon each visit. Thank you for taking the time to write a review in regards to your stay at the University Plaza Hotel and Convention Center. We look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Fayetteville, Arkansas
Reviewed 26 September 2009

I have stayed at this hotel numerous times over the last five years. If I had my way, I would not stay here but I do not get to choose the hotels I stay at when on business.

On multiple occasions I have received poor customer service from the front desk/management staff. On one occasion they heatedly argued with me over billing when I had the paperwork that showed I was a government employee. It was less than pleasant.

The hotel bar is located in the atrium so that if the bar is crowded and boisterous late at night the noise can be heard from any hotel room in the building. I have been kept up at night by the noise and apparently the management staff does not intervene - even though their desk is right across from the bar. The hotel restaurant is overpriced and mediocre.

The rooms are okay. Bed lumpy. Decent views.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank WooPigSooie
rhenley9, General Manager at University Plaza Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, 29 March 2012
We appreciate your post regarding your experience with us on Trip Advisor and I apologize for the issues you encountered. We will work to get these corrected immediately, I am new to this property and appreciate your feedback.

I thank you for choosing University Plaza and if you return to the Springfield area I would love to have the opportunity to thank you in person.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 19 July 2009

I was just there for three nights for a conference. The beds were comfy, the view was wonderful, the rooms were spacious and clean. The food served to us at the conference catered by the hotel was *phenomenal*. The internet was slower, but free and available throughout the hotel.

My complaints:
The workout room sign said "ask your physician before you start any exercise regimen and follow *his* advice. I'm writing a letter to the company about the misogynistic phrasing.

The workout room leaked from at least four areas, and the machines were crappy. The elliptical was horrible, it had a catch every rotation that was uncomfortable. The bike was also uncomfortable to workout on.

The design of the hotel is not conducive to a good nights sleep when you are there with a load of cheerleaders. The center of the hotel has great acoustics.

Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank Garnet_red

Richmond, VA
Reviewed 22 April 2008

We just returned from a 4-day stay at the University Plaza hotel. The hotel itself apparently has been refurbished within the last year and presents a very nice appearance, especially for a three-star hotel.

The Front Desk staff was personable and helpful, accommodating a personal request for us.

The atrium-style Lobby has a Lounge/Bar area with comfortable seating, tables and upholstered chairs, large screen tv, a modern marble fountain and tasteful decor.

A small dining area at the back of the Lobby serves breakfast, lunch and dinner and also accommodates the Lounge in the evening. Food is good.

We were with a large group that attended a banquet on the Saturday night. Much banquet food is bland and tasteless, but our dinner was well above the average in quality. Service was efficient but detached and not as personable as it might have been.

There is a "Business Center" off the Lobby, which is nice, but it had only one computer for a hotel that was at capacity. Hence long wait times for computer access. There was room for at least two more computers in the room.

Our room was large, clean and newly decorated. The king-sized bed was very comfortable with fluffy pillows. Two upholstered arm chairs, a desk with swivel chair, a chest of drawers and a large tv made the room very comfortable. Room temperature is guest-controlled by a thermostat on the wall.

The cable service is extremely basic, the worst I've seen. Why FIVE sports channels but little else? Many budget hotels have better cable.

We had a strange incident occur, which we reported to the Front Desk. One morning we slept in and while still in bed, heard our door open.

The access bar was in the closed position fortunately, so the person could not come in. But she loudly demanded we leave her room at once! Then the door slammed shut.

It turned out that another guest had her floor confused, she was five floors below where she should have been. Having had no luck with her key card at our door, she went to the Housekeeping lady and had her open our door with her universal key card.

Guests can become confused in a hotel, but the Housekeeping staff should never just take a guest's word for where their room is located. When we reported the incident to the Front Desk, we were given an apology and assured that Housekeeping would be instructed to check with the Front Desk before allowing the key card to be used.

Evidently they did, as the same Housekeeper was not at all friendly the next morning.

Overall a good stay, we had convention rates that were good, the room was large, clean and comfortable and the staff was, with one exception, helpful and welcoming.

• Liked — New decor, the large room, the Lounge area in the Lobby
  • Disliked — An unpleasant incident with Housekeeping
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank StickyToffee
We appreciate your post regarding your experience with us on Trip Advisor.

Northeastern Illinois
Reviewed 15 October 2007

We just returned from a four day convention stay. Check in took less than 5 minutes and we were given a room on the floor that we requested when we booked, Rooms are very large compared to some we have stayed in recently and appear to be freshly decorated with new bedding, two comfortable lounge chairs, and a desk with a new adjustable chair, Also, free wireless internet which is a real plus. The bathroom was divided with a dressing area, nice when there is more than one person sharing the room. The staff was simply great, everyone was friendly and helpful and housekeeping was exceptional. The restaurant offers a buffet breakfast and lunch but the dinner menu is limited.

• Stayed October 2007, travelled on business
3 Thank Lakeside12
We appreciate your post regarding your experience with us on Trip Advisor.

Maine
Reviewed 8 August 2007

I am staying University Plaza Hotel now and must say it is not what I expected, or as advertised on their very nice web site, which proclaims it "at the top of its class". The room design is nice enough but the mattress is not comfortable and the carpet was not well vacuumed. The free wireless Internet is very slow and unreliable, dropping my VPN repeatedly. Also, all the plants, every bit of greenery that looks so lush in their website pictures, are all fake, not very classy.

Stayed August 2007
4 Thank catgib

Missouri
Reviewed 7 March 2007

I recently stayed during a business conference. The rooms seemed fine and clean, but when I tried to take a shower there was no hot water. They gave me a key to another room where my roommate and I could take a shower. I would have thought they would have relocated us immediately. (herein the lack of professionalism.) So we were expected to walk to another room for a shower. While my associate was at the other room, I looked over and the sink is filling with water. The faucet was not on. The water was coming from the drain. I frantically took our toilettries off the counter. My counterpart returns. I can't help but laugh. I call the front desk, they sent someone up. His badge said he had 5 years of experience. His comment was well, I know what we have to do. We'll come up and take care of this later today. He left. I am standing in shock. I have no hot water in the shower, I can't use the sink. But I am expected to just get along. My friend calls and asks them if we can just move to the other room. It was a single with a king bed, but there was a pull out couch. You would have thought we would have been offered something. How about breakfast, something! Our conference rooms smelled horrible. It was almost unbearable in some of them. I will definitely recommend another hotel for any other conference.

• Stayed March 2007, travelled on business