“Disappointed at best”

Lamplighter Inn & Suites North
Ranked #36 of 49 Hotels in Springfield
“Disappointed at best”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

First of all, yes I live in Springfield, stop giving me the 3rd degree about why I want to rent a room. I drink, you have a bar and I enjoy your live music on the weekends. I have children, you have a pool. Every time I rent from this hotel I get treated like a drug dealer looking for a room to cook meth in. Please stop that.

I rented an event room for my wedding and 2 rooms for 2 nights. My brides father wanted to pay for the 2 rooms we reserved for the night before and after the wedding. He called the hotel and they took his credit card info and assured all was well. When we showed up to check in your front desk help would not let us into the rooms until photo id of the credit card holder was presented. He had to drive from another town just to show his id so that we could check in. Why wouldn't you tell him that when he called? Especially when this was a wedding event, you made my wife's already stressful day that much worse and the guy at the counter couldnt have cared less and then he had an attitude when my father in law showed up and was obviously upset about the situation. Your in the customer service buisness, it's your job to deal with upset people and keep a smile on your face while doing it, especially when it's your fault to begin with.

Other random issues,

we requested adjoining rooms due to having 3 minor children with us but still wanting some simi private time after the wedding. They couldn't accommodate this request due to the time it took getting the photo id of the card holder. This was a wedding event and we had to sleep in different rooms because we did not want our children left unattended in a seperate room.

If your going to rent a room for four people, please have four towels.

We rented for two days but our keys locked us out of our rooms on the morning of day two. Had to walk to the front desk and wait in line for 20 minutes to get them reset.

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank MC65803

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Dowagiac, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

We stayed here in early august and it was close to Route 66 that we were traveling. I have never been so disappointed in a hotel. The carpet in our rooms was sticky, the room was shabby and still had debris on floor from previous people, and our bathroom was disgusting-hair all over the place. Toilet seat had marks all over that were permanent because I tried to clean it before I used it because it was so gross.Towels like sandpaper. Bedspread and sheets were old and stained, room smelled like mold and smoke. The AC was poor for a hot Missouri day.
We went to the free breakfast at 7:45 am-it was wiped out. We were told that they would restock, we went back at 8:15 am, 8:40, and again about 9-we had given up on the breakfast which was NEVER restocked (no hot food, no milk, cream, etc), to at least get a cup of coffee and the manager was unplugging the warming trays (there was nothing in them for the last hour), and she HISSED at us that breakfast was over-and would not even give me cream for a cup of coffee. So much for customer service.
The night before, we were given bad directions from the clerk at the hotel-do not ask them for directions.!!!!
The only good thing about the place is that there is a Cracker Barrell there across the parking lot.
Go there, and sleep in your car and save your money. The grounds are shabby and have trash everywhere. The lobby is beautiful but that is where the investment ends folks.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Veronnica T

Travellers are raving about these Springfield hotels

Norwood, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

I will start with the positives. . . The staff was nice and helpful, the room was dark, the bed was comfortable, the free breakfast was great, the wifi worked well, and the hotel was quiet. OK, now the not so positives. The general upkeep of the internal corridor leading to my room was terrible (it was stinky, carpeting was a mess, broken signage, etc.) The sheet listing the television channels was completely wrong. The air conditioner was quite loud. The bathroom was barely passable, but definitely not "clean" (hairs on the walls, toilet base was soiled, etc.) The security was lax (the back door that was supposed to be locked at 10:00pm was still open at 11:30 when I checked). None of the vending machines on any floor had any change at all. If you just need a bed, this one will do. However, if your stay is like mine, do not expect a comfortable experience.

Room Tip: There are internal and external rooms. Mine was internal. Maybe the external rooms would be nicer...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

enjoyed our two day stay. The bathroom was super super clean but just a little small. Very large room otherwise. Must have been painted recently because my husband, who is a clean freak, spent five minutes scraping the small paint splatters off the entryway floor. The flatscreen tv was a little small but not too small. Marble counters were nice. Bed comfortable and clean. He was very happy with the room. Staff are nice and helpful. The motel looks like it's being renovated but I didn't hear any construction noise. Ladder outside a hallway window along with a bucket. Drywall/paint residue left in the floor of the elevator. The third floor hallway is terrible . Stained and wrinkled carpet ( must be waiting to remove it after all rooms are finished). Maid left her cart and trash bag in the hallway in front of our room which was irritating when trying to get our cart around it at 3pm. But not a dealbreaker and it was gone later that night. Breakfast was hot and plentiful. Eggs sausage gravy waffles. Ect. With a coupon from the rest areas along the highway this hotel is a fantastic fantastic deal in a great area of town near expensive hotels. Will stay at again.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Deborah S
Middletown
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

Planning a two day stay Thurs 7th thru Sat 9th in Springfield Mo, I went online thru booking.com and got a good deal on a two night stay. We got there Thurs late afternoon after driving from Central Illinois, and checked in, desk clerk very very nice. Got room easy access for us, and the room was nice, newly remodeled. Quite pretty. Breakfast help was very very nice. Everything seemed to work fine . Downfall that will keep us from going back ~ When I checked in, the desk clerk told me breakfast 7am to 10am. He forgot to tell me that was ONLY Sat and Sun so we missed our breakfast on Friday by arriving there in the dining room at 9:05. Not happy , and I went next door to Steak and Shake drive thru for our breakfast which they didn't give us any silverware. Also didn't help when I got a shower Fri morn and had no towel and blamed on the hubby and son, didn't even think to count how many our 4 person occupancy room would have. But when it came time for housekeeping to come to our door later Friday morning, we simply asked her to switch out our towels and no further cleaning was needed. Guess what, on Sat when I went to take a shower, I had no towel and got busy counting what the maid had left. For a 4 person occupancy, with 3 guests in it, she left two towels- 2 mind you for 3 people, and 1 washcloth, and 2 handtowels. That leads me to believe there was never enough in the first place and thank God I brought my own beach towels. While speaking of towels, both in our bathroom and at the pool, had stains on a lot of them. :( Rather disgusting. The pool is ok if you either have small children or are older people, NOT for teens looking to have some swim time. We knew this pool was small so that's on us but I'd not recommend for older children. Another thing I was disappointed in was when we checked in late in the afternoon, the main desk area had dire need of carpet vacuumed, and the next morning when we went to NOT get breakfast, I noticed it still had not been vacuumed. My husband and I are both janitors at a school, first appearances are very important. Also a piece of licorice was easily seen under a chair in our room and it sure didn't come from us. This was also the first room I have been in that didn't have an info book in it, telling you the layout of the place, the rules, amenities, things in the area. So when I wanted soda I went to the desk to ask where a machine might be located, and told them I had no book in the room. They never bothered to tell me oh sorry or even "we don't have books". So......altho the price was right, internet was good, breakfast ladies very nice, ..........we will not stay again. I hope they speak with the housekeeping, as some apparently do not take pride in their work.

Room Tip: There is like two buildings, so check how accessible your room is to pool, and desk.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Ardith B
Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

I stayed one night. I did not wake up in time for breakfast. And I never made it to the pool and hot tub.

The location was good for me. It was right off the highway. Several other hotels (and chain restaurants) are also situated in the area.

I had made a reservation ahead of time, which made check-in a breeze. The staff seemed friendly, though I did not need to interact with them very much. The hotel is a bit of a maze, and I had a little difficulty finding my room. While the building may be slightly dated (as other reviewers have noted), I think the management has done a very good job updating the interior spaces.

When I did find my room, I was pleasantly surprised (shocked, even). The photos on Trip Advisor are quite old, and do not accurately reflect the updated and upgraded hotel rooms. I found the room to be clean and upscale, relative to the price of the stay. I was expecting that nasty bedspread all low-priced hotels seem to use. And that scratchy pink blanket. What I found were damask sheets, a nice comforter, and a quality blanket. Obviously, the bedding wasn't as soft or as attractive as the stuff I have at my house, but it was much nicer than what I expected. I expected a utilitarian table and chair, but found a nice looking bonded leather recliner. A micowave and mini-fridge were tucked away inside an armoire-like furniture piece. There was a respectably sized LCD/LED television, though I never turned it on. Nothing about the bathroom really stood out to me, good or bad. I guess I do remember the shower had nice water pressure. I know that's a silly thing to notice, but many other low-priced hotels seem to restrict the water pressure in what I can only guess to be a cost-cutting move.

The only minor issue I experienced was a small area just inside the door where the laminate wood flooring was very sticky. I remembered reading about a similar issue in another review. It wasn't a big deal though, and I'm sure hotel staff would have gladly come and cleaned the area if it had really bothered me. It didn't.

I'd really have to be grasping at straws to report any other negative experience. Overall, I was shocked by the value of the hotel (and I didn't even get breakfast!). When I walked into the hotel room, I thought to myself how someone else would guess the room cost far more than it did. But it was a steal.

This isn't to say you should expect 5-star resort accommodations. And to be honest, I'm not very picky and I hardly ever complain at restaurants, hotels, etc. So if someone really sets out to find some other things to complain about, they could probably find something. But if you want a comfortable stay at a truely unbelievable price point, find Lamplighter North.

(In addition to price, I also chose Lamplighter North based on other reviews and information from Trip Advisor. I was a bit surprised to see management respectfully respond to critical reviews as well as giving some of the credit in completmentary reviews to staff. I could tell the management cares about their service and wants every guest to have a positive experience at the hotel. Keep up the goof work.)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Allen Park, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

I stayed here for 5 days and was not at all impressed. The room was in need of repair, the shower had a strange way of getting the temperature just right. You had to turn the cold water on first all the way and then it only came out a little bit then turn the hot on to reach your desired temperature. The floor was sticky in the entrance upon entering the room, and the whole time there, I kept flip flops on the whole time, the top of the cabinet that stored the microwave and refrigerator had to be cleaned as it was all sticky. It felt like someone had spilled something sticky all over the room and no one cleaned it. Room needs updating. Had canceled reservation at another hotel before discovering that this one was not all that great and was staying with 2 other guest who were sharing the room cost so I put up with the room the way it was. Breakfast bar was not very good. Staff was very nice. Normally would go into hot tub after long day, I didn't even want to check it out feeling that if the hotel and breakfast area were not very clean the hot tub may not be either.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Linda C
Edward S, General Manager at Lamplighter Inn & Suites North, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Linda,

I really appreciate your feedback! Our goal here at Lamplighter has been to raise the bar on cleanliness! Your review helped us see that we still have some room to improve!

I want to welcome you back to our property on your trip back and I welcome you to give us your continued feedback.

Kind Regards,