“Not what I was expecting”

Extended Stay America - Springfield - South
Ranked #43 of 51 Hotels in Springfield
Reviewed 14 April 2013

My parents booked the room for us through Priceline. We walked in on Friday, and had to call for the desk clerk to come check us in. Fine. No problem. I understand security concerns. We were put on the smoking floor. Immediately off the elevator, the smell of smoke was overwhelming. Our room smelled heavily of stale smoke.
The room seemed a bit run down, the carpet had burn holes in it, the recliner in the room was filthy, there were stains on the door to the bathroom. I also have to say the lack of silverware, and dishware is disappointing. Also, our bed was hard as a rock, and some of the outlets in the room did not work.
Another complaint, no shampoo, or lotion. And no pens or paper in the room.
Saturday, our room was never touched or made up even though I saw the housekeeping staff working across the hallway from our room. We walked to the gas station down the road, and upon returning to the third floor, were met with the overwhelming smell of marijuana.
The clientele of this hotel seems to be on the trashy side which is a bit unnerving when you walk around after dark. The only redeeming quality of this hotel was the front desk staff was very pleasant to deal with. I don't think I'd stay here again. The hotel looks nice on the outside, but those looks are deceiving.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Region39, Manager at Extended Stay America - Springfield - South, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2013

"Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to give us your feedback. It is appreciated and we will utilize it by continuing to focus on making each guests stay the best it can be. We apologize for not offering shampoo, lotion, etc. in the rooms, however we do provide an amenity basket located at the front desk, to take what you would need for your stay. We realize you came in after hours and apologize for our staff member not making you aware of this. In regards to the daily housekeeping, we do not clean rooms on a daily basis. Our housekeeping services are based on your length of stay, but we are more than happy to exchange your linens at the front desk. We wanted to thank you for bringing these issues to our attention and we do hope we can of service to you again in the future. Thank you

Reviewed 22 November 2012

I have stayed at this hotel several times this year and have found the staff always courteous and accomodating; rooms clean and the surrounding area is nice. It is only a short distance from a large shopping area and is convenient to freeways.

Room Tip: Rooms closer to Kingsley street were best for me because the other side has residents with dogs.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Region39, Manager at Extended Stay America - Springfield - South, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2012

Evelyn, I would like to personally thank you for taking the time to write such wonderful things about your experience. Our hotel is totally committed to the satisfaction of every guest who walks through our doors, which is why it is so rewarding to get feedback like yours; it tells us that we are delivering on that commitment. Our business is one in which the staff gets to know our guests, who sometimes stay with us for weeks or months. We believe that building a professional, courteous, and accommodating relationship with our customers will continue to bring them back for future stays.

Once again, I and the entire staff at our hotel thank you for your very kind words, and we'd love to see you here again. Please don't hesitate to call on me for your future stays here or at any other Extended Stay Hotels(sm) location

Reviewed 19 October 2012

I Travel alot all over the USA and havn't stayed at any motel with A nicer staff.Each and every one there always will smile and say Good Morning or Afternoon.The room was nice and clean great flatscreen tv. YFI was verry good inital loggin for two week stay only one logg.Great resteraunt choices near serveral in walking distance. YOU WILL NOT GET A BETTER DEAL FOR YOUR BUCK My home away from home Family was Great Is good when you know can come home from work and half your host family all wave and ask if i need anything Haley Anna Ashley Shey Tammy Ramona Kaila Stephaine Evie And Jeff the maint guy. Each and ever one of the weill help you with motel needs all you have too do is ask Makes staying away from my beautifull wife easier James Spicer

Room Tip: Excelent resteraunts within walking distance of room fast food too TRY BRAMS
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Region39, Manager at Extended Stay America - Springfield - South, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2012

James- Thank you so very much for your nice review of our property. Whenever I read comments like yours, it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. As a member of the Extended Stay Hotels(sm) family, we are proud to be a part of the premier lodging source for business and leisure travelers looking for a great room at a great rate. We know that our largest asset is our loyal base of customers like you, which is why we are so firmly committed to your satisfaction. By continuing to provide our valued guests with exceptional value, we know Extended Stay Hotels(sm) will remain the #1 extended stay lodging source in the North America.

Reviewed 21 September 2012

I've visited Springfield, MO several times through the years and have stayed at several different motels each time. I have to say this was the best motel yet. First of all, Springfield has grown quite a bit over the last 50 years. The population is now 160,000. Most of the older motels are along Route 66 and I-44 on the north side of Springfield. A lot of new growth is on the south side of the city, along the James River Freeway or US 60. Extended Stay America is a new motel in this new, fast growing part of the city. It was easy to reach. I took the National Ave. exit off of the James River Freeway, turned south on National Ave. and then east on Kingsley St. Several other large multi story motels, and businesses, with landscaped grounds, are in this area. Just north of the James River Freeway is a large hospital complex. The south side of Springfield may not be the best location if you are traveling along I-44, and don't want to detour a long distance off of the interstate just to spend the night. But if you are heading south towards Branson, MO the next morning, and want to be near shops and restaurants, the south side of Springfield is a great location to stay. The motel itself was fine. Very good value, and I got a good night's sleep. I would definitely stay here the next time I'm in Springfield. One more thing I'd like to point out. The overpass of National Avenue over the James River Freeway is very unusual. Traffic turns to the left side of the overpass as you are heading north, and to the right side as you are heading south. It is almost as if you are suddenly in England where you drive on the left side of the road. It seems confusing at first, but follow the signs and do as the natives do, and you will be okay. The reason behind this unusual overpass is that it is supposed to help with the flow of traffic, especially for those who are turning onto the James River Freeway.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Springfield - South, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2012

I would like to personally thank you for taking time out to write such wonderful things about your experience at Extended Stay America Springfield - South. Our hotel is totally committed to the satisfaction of every guest who walks through our doors, which is why it is so rewarding to get feedback like yours; it tells us that we are delivering on that commitment. I and the entire staff at our hotel thank you for your very kind words, and we'd love to see you here again. Please don't hesitate to call on me for your future stays here or at any other Extended Stay Hotels(sm) location.

Reviewed 10 September 2012

I don't think you could ever find a better staff at any hotel. They were working on renovations, new TV's, new beds. Everything we needed was immediately attended to by a very friendly and quick staff. Price was very good.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 3rd floor. Used their elevator.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Springfield - South, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2012

Thank you so very much for your glowing review of our hotel. Whenever I read comments like yours it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. We know you have many lodging options in the area, which is why providing you and every guest with professional, friendly service is our priority.

Reviewed 5 September 2012

I am in the room right now. 1) door handles upon entry to the lobby are very worn and look very dirty - very first clue something was amiss 2) upon check-in was told that WiFi did not require a passcode - but it does - indicates that staff are uninformed 3) the staff is very friendly and helpful 4) no complimentary toiletry items at front desk 5) room reeked of cigarette smoked, elected to keep room since it was so convenient to first floor entrance - bought Lysol spray and fumagated the room and have both full sized windows open for fresh air circulation 6) no utensils, not one fork, which is okay, think I wouldn't use it anyway 7) full sized refrigerator w/ freezer including 2 ice trays - full too, wont' use of course 8) Large screen HD TV woot 9) shower is fixed to wall - no undercarriage cleaning - do not know yet if during showing it backs up or stand in ankle deep water 10) can't change hotels, this was gov't contracted - good location though - Zio's Italian next door/ Texas Roadhouse 1/2 mi. 11) no coffee pot, not even a little 4 cupper 12) microwave heats Hot Pockets very well 13) have not pulled back spread or sat/lay on bed - can't say about the mattress yet 14) internet can support GW2!

Well that's it so far, had to fumagate and place lysol spray on all common use areas/knobs/handles/ tv remote/refrigerator/toilet/floor of bathtub etc.

I'm won't come back - if they enforced the no smoking policy and cleaned the worn accoutraments first, that would be a start.

Room Tip: first floor, near the lobby has the best wifi signal
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank R m
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Springfield - South, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2012

I recently received a copy of your review of our hotel. Our company prides itself on excellent guest service, so it was gratifying to read your feedback about our staff. We are glad you liked the new flat screen tv's in your room too. I would like to give you my most heartfelt apology regarding the part of your stay that was not satisfactory.

I do appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns about the condition of your room. Please know that we have strict quality control standards that are meant to prevent a situation like yours from occurring. Only certain rooms are designated as smoking rooms, the rest as non-smoking. It should never be the case that a guest who requests a non-smoking room is placed in a smoking room or even one which smells like smoke.

As well, our housekeeping staff strives to provide clean rooms and an overall property for our guests to enjoy. I apologize if this was not evident in your room and will speak with my staff to ensure we correct this moving forward. We also will work to ensure our complimentary amenties behind the front desk are fully stocked so they can be given to guests as needed.

Reviewed 1 June 2012

I am presently typing from this very room. The carpet in the lobby tells the story of the entire hotel...Dirty, smelly and disgusting...we are in town for 1 night in order to take a test tomorrow for our ministry class...we booked on Expedia and unfortunately no refunds are allowed this late in the game....
The elevator smelled like sweaty socks, the hallway smells like an ashtray, and the stairway is gross.
Our room had a good air conditioner. The desk was clean, the lights worked and the wi-fi has been good.
The bed is a very small queen if it is even a queen. It is hard as a rock and again the carpet is disgusting. The frig in our room has a very musty smell too.
Sorry to say, even with the price I will mark this one off the list of possibilities from now on...its just too horrible to contemplate staying again...

Room Tip: buy a tent its nicer....
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Beverly R
Management response:Responded 12 July 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Extended Stay America Springfield - South. Given our company's commitment to superior guest satisfaction, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. Please understand how truly sorry I am.