“From BAD to Fantastic”

Bird's Nest Lodge and River Resort
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Steelville
Bird's Nest Lodge and River Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Steelville
Reviewed 13 June 2011

We got in after the office was closed, and after dark, to our cabin which when we opened the door, we wanted to run far away. It was like something out of a horror movie. Filthy beyond filthy. Pee stained mattresses with no sheets, carpet I would not put an animal on. Holes in walls covered with tape. Book in the bedside drawer is nasty and should be removed and thrown in the trash. (comments from other people) sexually explicit. Since it was so late, we used our car blanket and slept on it for a few hours. Next morning we complained and the staff was fabulous. We got an upgrade to a WONDERFUL cabin that was new and clean and beyond my expectations. Then we had a wonderful time. The float didn't seem long enough although we did the 8 mile. The fishing was pretty good, and the relaxation was wonderful. BRING SHEETS AND PILLOWS, and Spider spray and just spray each room when you arrive. The staff was wonderful, and this place is under renovation. I think it will be fabulous when Jason gets it done. We will definitely go back but not stay in the small cabins near the store. So my ratings below are based on our second cabin, not the first.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank superduty455

Reviewed 16 November 2010

We went with a large group of adults and kids and due to time and booking constraints had to settle for the "White House", we booked off the website and used the pictures to gauge. What a Mistake!!

The "White House" should be condemned. It's not even close to the "resort" and should not be rented out to anyone. Especially for $35/pp / per night. What a ripoff!!

I cannot put into words how many different things were subpar, that you wouldn't believe me. (smell, dirt, mud, lack of lighting or light bulbs, toilets, bed = mattresses, no bed frames, no privacy inside, hot tub was gross. We are not picky or high maintenance, but we got completely screwed.

I am more than happy to answer any e-mails, do not stay here - even for free.

• Stayed: August 2010
3  Thank Sputnik5
Reviewed 6 September 2010

We booked this cabin over the internet. Upon arrival, receptionist advised she had forgot to tell use 'we needed bedding'- which she provided so we could make up our bed. You needed much more than bedding - cabin was small, the beds were terrible, the floors were filthy and the bathroom was primitive. We booked another hotel in Cuba for a lesser fee than the Birds Nest and didn't even stay at Birds Nest - making it a very expensive stay.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 1maxwell
Reviewed 6 October 2009

The Bird's Nest Lodge is one of the most beautiful and comfortable resorts that we have visited. It not only offers a fun for all retreat (float downs, nature walks, swimming in the river and fishing), but also has caring and supportive staff to make one's vacation unforgettable.

We especially enjoyed the view and the hottub from the Roost. The view and the location is so special that once you discover this treasure, that you will want to return to this resort over and over.

Finally, we have traveled the world and have visited hotels, cabins and nature parks throughout our travels. However, Bird's Nest Lodge really has the edge in all that we mentioned above, but also the hospitality and the best location on the Meramac.

Keep up the great work and we will be back when the leaves turn this Fall.

Dolores Ashland Doherty

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank militarypm
Reviewed 23 August 2009

I tried your Contact link on your web-site and it came up with HTTP Not Found....So I am sending this to the reservation/floating e-mail form...
My name is Anjie and I recently (what I would call recent) stayed (July 25th) for the weekend in one of your cabins (#5). I have mentally tired to put this letter together for weeks because I don't want to be extremely nasty. However, the more I thought about my experience the more irritated I have become. One, I believe we were overcharged which we were told when complained we received a deal. Two, the cabins we were given should be condemned. Three, if it wasn't for the outstanding company of ladies I was with I would have been in your employees face demanding a complete refund.

Now to discuss the cabins.. They were nasty... The holes in the cabins were filled in with what I assume is called Great Stuff. Gross. That was the first thing I noticed when we pulled up . When I complained I was told you were fully booked.. The cabin I stayed in smelled so bad (it smelled horrible). I was only able to get 4 hours of sleep the first night and left at midnight on the second night because I couldn't stand the smell. The lady who took my place (she only stayed one night) had to sleep with her blankets over her face to get some sleep.

Overcharged.... We were charged too much... I believe we were overcharged for the cabins we stayed in and for the rental on the raft. The charge would have been under Nicole Snyder and I think someone needs to either update your web-site or send your employees back to school. We were told when complaine that we would be charged the min. but when we looked your web-site does not state a min. on cabins 3&5. We had 4 people for two nights and added an additional person on the second night. We also floated on Sat. with 5 people in a 6 person raft. I know we were charged for a 6 person raft for 6 people which we didn't have. The original paperwork showed 6 people in our party which was incorrect we never had 6 people in our party. So, I believe your staff needs some training.

Just an FYI ...... I will add my review on any web site that will allow me to.

PS. We will not be coming back to Bird's Nest.....
I will also tell anyone who listens about my experience at your establishment.

Anjie W.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank PetalsDesoto
Reviewed 2 August 2009

The campsites are so narrow you are sitting on top of each other. This is tough when the 10 men camped next to you play loud music and Karaoke until 2:00 AM and vomit loudly between 4:00 and 6:00 AM. The 11:00PM to 6:00AM quiet hours are not enforced. The office closes at 10:00 PM; calls after that time go nowhere. The second night we were wiser and called before 10:00 PM. The call still went to the answering machine so we left a message asking them to please police the offender's campsite at 11:00 PM. No one bothered to to so. Apparently our only recourse was to call the Crawford County Sheriff. The river is beautiful; it is a fine place to stay if you DO NOT bring your children and you like your neighbor's choice of music and profanity. It is also a plus if you don't require sleep. P.S. my neighbors were not the only party animals; there is no way to get away from the noise. The restroom/shower facilities are sorely lacking considering the number of people this campground owner thinks this operation can support. (Those circled numbers on the map indicate the number of people allowed on the campsite.) My advice is - stick to the state parks.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank jagervin
Reviewed 5 September 2008

We rented the Roost Cabin sometime last fall when we were in the planning stages of our vacation for the summer. Upon arrival the staff was extremely friendly. We got our keys for our cabin which was very clean inside. The hot tub was excellent. We got to enjoy the hot tub and hang out on the deck till around 2 am then finally caught some sleep for our float trip the next morning.

We woke up and ate a wonderful breakfast at the lodge. Our float was the 10am float for the 6mile run. I highly recommend doing a 3 mile or if you wish to be out that long to do the 6. We put into the water around 10am and got out around 5 pm. the water was great and the float trip was allot of fun. now mind you we didnt even stop at any of the party coves or sand bars like allot of people did.. it just took too long LOL...

We have already rented the Roost again next year for our vacation and this time we are doing the 3 mile.. upon getting back to the cabin we got cleaned up and ready for dinner. now keep in mind that our group was 8 adults. we were expecting to run out of hot water rather quickly and somehow never did. Huge Kudos on the hot water as it kept up with 8 adults taking showers back to back. we then enjoyed a great dinner of ribs and potatoes and corn on the cob.

we then enjoyed the rest of the evening at the cabin again in the hot tub and playing cards on the deck at the table we then got up sunday morning and once again enjoyed a wonderful breakfast.

The only things that we recommended to the staff was that they trim some of the trees off the deck as they were blocking the view of the river and they really need to put some steps on the hot tub as it makes it hard to get in and out of. Other then those little things we had an absolutely wonderful time,, i highly recommend it to everyone who is looking to enjoy an ADULT weekend, I do not recommend bringing kids though as the crowd in the campgrounds gets pretty rowdy at night especially friday before the saturday float. I personally have 4 kids and am very glad that we did not bring them as they would have heard allot of things that we dont wish our kids to hear. They should designate one or two weekends a month as FAMILY weekends for those that do wish to bring younger kids.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank lord_viper
Also consider these accommodations in or near Steelville
Days Inn & Suites Cuba
Econo Lodge
Econo Lodge
#3 of 4 in Cuba
Super 8 Cuba
Super 8 Cuba
#1 of 4 in Cuba

Been to Bird's Nest Lodge and River Resort? Share your experiences!