“Float was wonderful, the accommodations were awful.”

Bird's Nest Lodge and River Resort
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Steelville
Bird's Nest Lodge and River Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Steelville
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Float was wonderful, the accommodations were awful.”
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Went to spend the weekend with a large group that uses the site annually. I am not a camper so we booked a cabin (B1) for the weekend.The porch was covered with leftover food crumbs and grease. The cabin did have a flushing toilet and working window air conditioner but the carpet was filthy, stained and damp and the baseboard heat was on when we checked in, it took us about an hour to figure out why the cabin wasn't cooling down. The bed had sprung springs and was extremely uncomfortable. The float was one of the best I have been on, absolutely incredible! The floating staff and bus driver were polite, humorous and efficient.
The worst part of the trip was the lack of hot water when we returned from our float Saturday evening. Our cabin neighbors had hot water earlier and we assumed that we just needed to wait for the hot water heater to heat up. By the time we figured out the water wasn't going to get warm the lodge office was closed. We woke early on Sunday to try to bathe but the water was still ice cold. When checking out the staff was indifferent to our complaints and said that we should have just showered in the camp bathhouses. I attempted to explain that the reason we reserved cabin accommodations was to have the amenities listed, the clerk just shrugged her shoulders. Wonderful float, breathtaking part of the river, with a great group of friends but I wouldn't recommend renting a cabin.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Melsie S

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Let me be clear, this is not a resort and spa. Not a honeymoon location, and not a place for a nice romantic weekend - it is camping - roughing it. We went on a family float trip with some staying in cabins and some camping. This is an old resort, built in the 1920's. The Roost appears to be the best of their cabins on the property; it is a step up from a tent but only because it has A/C and a bathroom. If you want wilderness lodging and not stay in an RV or tent then the cabins are possibly a step up.

The Roost has A/C,claims to sleep ten, but there are only beds for eight comfortably (I use that term loosely; two of our ten slept on the 2 couches); and it has a bathroom. There are some basic kitchen appliances (small stove, coffee maker, and fridge). The cabin is dirty, inside and out and stinks. We brought along some basic cleaning stuff to wipe down the table, and counter, beds, etc. and some air freshener spray. The A/C and fridge was cold and the plumbing worked - that is about it.

In the Roost you have a great view of the river and campground below from the wrap around porch. The hot tub is okay, it is clean but not real hot, and no privacy.

Some of our family camped and had a river front site. They didn't have too many complaints about the site. We used the campsite to access the river and hang out in the river on the day before the float. Our family said the campground rest rooms and bath houses were NASTY; the worst they have seen, bodily fluids (of all types) on the floor.

If you choose to stay here, don't take the meal plan, it is not worth it. The breakfast flavor is ok; however, they serve you on the "buffet" and cheat you on the portions, a half a spoon full of food and one trip through only. The dinner is a repeat of breakfast, just different food choices - half a spoon full.

The float trip went well, no issue and a lot of fun but you can get this at any of the river float groups on the river. Our bus driver was nice and fun! They bus you to the start location and your float back down to the campground which was nice. Float staff are very nice.

This could be a great place if management spent some time taking care of it. Great view of the river and a lot of potential. A garden hose spraying down the outsides of the buildings would do wonders. They need to get rid of their old junk from around the lodge. There are no trash cans around so people just leave their trash around until the end of the weekend, I guess, trash piled up in areas.

If you don't have high expectations then take a chance. We didn't feel like it was worth the money - we won't be staying again!

Room Tip: Somewhere else!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Irishrover1019

Travellers are raving about these Steelville hotels

Missouri
Reviewed 20 May 2013

First, let me point out that I don't expect a 5-star room when I rent a cabin, but I do expect the bare essentials to at least be met. My wife and I stayed in The Roost for our anniversary, and judging by the pictures on their website, it looked incredible. However, upon arriving to our cabin it was anything but. For starters, the cabins are all squished together so you get absolutely no privacy, which is annoying but it isn't exactly their fault, so I was able to deal with that. What I couldn't deal with was the fact that when walking into the cabin, I noticed one of the windows was broken. Of course, they were aware of this because instead of actually fixing the window, they duct taped the broken window with pizza boxes to seal the hole. This was laughable at best, and if that was the only problem with The Roost, I could have overlooked that.

We entered the cabin, and the entire place was tiny - in no way could this place fit 10 people! The pictures made the cabin look spacious and luxurious, but it was simply a rathole. The television had a satellite box hooked up to it, yet they had never set up the receiver to watch television so it was basically worthless. The only remote control in the room was to a broken DVD player in the corner of the room too, so again, the setup was worthless. As for the two couches, they were old but comfortable (much more comfortable than the bed - more on that in a moment). The dining room table and chairs were just that - a table and chairs, nothing out of the ordinary. As for the refrigerator, the entire side was rusted but it worked well so no big deal. Basically, the entire kitchen area was decent, but when moving to the bedroom and bathroom, things took a turn for the worst.

Let me just say when I opened the bedroom door, I couldn't. Why? Because the bed was too long for the room. Moreover, they hadn't bothered to clean the bedroom either (or the entire cabin for that matter) as my wife found two half full water bottles under the bed. There was a hole in the door, black markings all over the walls, and the bed was awful. It felt like sleeping on a couch bed, and add to the fact that the heating and air unit squeaked loudly all night, and it's safe to say we didn't get a lot of sleep.

As for the bathroom, the toilet ran all night despite checking it to see if the chain had broken off, jiggling the handle - basically the normal things you can do to stop a toilet from running. The shower was also pretty bad as it would be warm one minute, then become scalding hot the next for no reason. The shower curtain was only cloth - no plastic was in front of it to keep the curtain from getting soaked, and because it had been like this for a while, the curtain smelled terrible.

I didn't really go upstairs very much, but it looked about as disgusting as the rest of the cabin.

As for outside, the hot tub was decent, although there wasn't enough water in it to begin with. In addition, ants covered the entire deck, so if you wanted to enjoy the hot tub, you better watch your step while walking on the deck.

I also have to say that when we stayed there (May), mosquitoes were horrible. This isn't their fault in any way, but if you plan to leave your cabin and do some fishing, think again. Mosquitoes were so bad I couldn't stand to be outside by the river, so if you want to do some fishing outside of your cabin, go somewhere else.

Finally, parking was horrible here. If you're going to have a bunch of cabins close together, at least have appropriate parking.

Honestly, I would stay anywhere else but here. You can definitely tell they don't care one way or another what condition their cabin is in (especially The Roost), and if you need proof, go look for yourself and look at the pizza boxes used to hold one of the windows together. Inexcusable!

Room Tip: Stay away, go to any place other than here!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank D W
Belleville, Illinois
Reviewed 29 January 2013

I stayed at the Birds Nest Lodge with a few friends for New Years and we had a great time. The cabin was clean and roomy, and the hot tub was already heated up waiting for us. I loved that they allow pets so you can bring your whole family along with you. The area is gorgeous, especially with fresh snow. We were one of only two groups up for that weekend so i would highly recommend staying during the winter for the peace and tranquility. We were treated very well by the owner and he even gave us free firewood so we didnt have to scavange in the snow for our own. Make sure to bring your own cooking supplies, untensils, and linens because they are not included but we were told beforehand and were prepared. The area is great because its far enough out to be away, but still only miles to town for anything you forgot. For the price i think this is a great time for friends or family and will be coming back for the summer. I do not know what everyone thinks is so negative about the Birds Nest, I think this is a great place owned by kind people.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Cgross540
Reviewed 9 December 2012

I want to start off by saying that I absolutely do NOT understand all of the negative reviews on this place. These are CABINS! Maybe some people have a misconstrued view on what a "cabin" is, but if you're wanting a 5 star hotel then go to a 5 star hotel. With that being said, here is my personal opinion on this place...

My husband and I spent the weekend here for our 9th anniversary about a week or so ago. AWESOME CHOICE! We stayed in "The Hawk" which featured a lot of space, a hot tub and TONS of privacy. The owner was SO nice! He kept great contact, we were even able to contact him after hours if we needed anything. He wanted to make sure that our stay was the best it could be. We had a problem with the hot tub on Saturday evening and when I called him be immediately came down and fixed the problem. Overall....we would definitely recommend this place! One of the best anniversaries we've had yet! We will DEFINITELY be going back!

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank smiles4miles3
St. Louis, Mo.
Reviewed 23 September 2012

My elderly parents went for a weekend getaway and were treated rudely by the owner, they were told to bring their own bed linens which was fine but they didnt mention they would not furnish towels or any kitchen utensils not even a plate or frying skillet. They had to go out and buy these things every time my mom had conversations with this lady she was rude and only really concerned about the big wedding that they were having that weekend at the lodge. Word of mouth is a big part of a good business , they need to be nicer to their patrons and learn how to treat their guests. Me and my family will not reccomend this Lodge, and I dont do business with anyone who is rude to elderly people!!!!!!!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jules61
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 23 August 2011

Negatives: Nature enthusiasts, and family oriented folks seeking a comfortable lodging facility that offers clean campgrounds with enforced quiet time rules need not reserve a cabin OR campground at the Bird's Nest. The campgrounds were crowded and littered with beer cans from the scores of twenty somethings who partied past dawn. The "receptionist" at the main lodge (where you check in and eat breakfast/dinner) needed a refresher on proper manners when dealing with paying customers and there just seemed to be a complete lack of organization and enthusiasm about the whole business itself. On the second evening there, our family purchased wood to build a campfire only to discover that it was wet. Positives: As there are very few, this will be quick. The cabin that we stayed in was not that bad. The beds were firm (and clean) and the room was basically clean, although the cheap air freshener was smellier than if they didn't use one at all. The river was beautiful and offered a great float. Little bluffs spot the river, as well as a big beautiful cave with a fresh, freezing spring. Lots of places to pull over and swim as well. The breakfast and dinner provided was great, and the resident kitty and dog Teddy were charming. If you are young and carefree, looking to drink a lot, sleep very little and float to your hearts content, this is for you. If you are a parent, young person who likes to have a few but get some shut eye too, or if you are very young, or very old, this place is not for you.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Stephanie M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Steelville
Days Inn & Suites Cuba
#1 of 1 in Saint James
Super 8 Cuba
Super 8 Cuba
#1 of 4 in Cuba

Been to Bird's Nest Lodge and River Resort? Share your experiences!