“False Advertisement, scam”

Bird's Nest Lodge and River Resort
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Steelville
Bird's Nest Lodge and River Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Steelville
“False Advertisement, scam”
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

They said 2 bedrooms, it was 1 bedroom. The mattresses were covered in pea stains without sheets. The room smelled of chemical and urine. The robin room should be called robbing you room. I am very upset. Puppies without leashes, keys didn't work. Spiderwebs everywhere. It wasn't just filthy it should be condemned. I don't understand why a health inspector would allow business to take place. We went to cancel, and she said the policy is to keep our deposit. I suspected that, and had no problem with that. What I did have a problem with was paying $191.66 to a staff that became very hostile in front of my little girl and my little boy. When I alerted her of her attitude she threatened to keep all of my money for the two nights I had paid. She basically charged me to yell at me, threaten me with a man she had brought in. I sat at the table quietly. She didn't stop she keep insulting me. I'm very embarrassed. We were looking forward to a nice place by the river, and it's very sad my children had to see her behavior. Seeing the cabin that should be condemned was bad enough. It's a scam to collect your deposit.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank HealthInspectorPI

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Granite City, Illinois
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Filthy is being kind to this river resort! We rented the "White House" in January. When we arrived this past Thursday they still negelected to clean this house. Not cleaning meaning (mattresses stacked 10 high in one bedroom, broken mini blinds on nasty couches, dead bugs all over kitchen counter, light cover laying on mattress,hot tub nice and green and stinky and many more things!! Went back to check in and told them our situation--oh great they gave cabins next to each other at no extra cost--ARE YOU KIDDING ME! The elite house that slept 10 had a loft with mice running around--can I just say my 8 yr old granddaughter was freaked out--and my husband told me about the 4 cockroaches he killed in our room today so I would not freak out while we were there!! Also, this cabin the"Hawk" we went to make biscuits in the morning did not have any racks in the oven!! Where do you slide the baking dishes at if you don't have racks in the oven!!!! The topper was because the cabin reassigned us did not sleep our group they also gave us the bunkhouse.. Imagine this, it was not cleaned also!!! So what we were told was go ahead drop your stuff off and go down and sit in the river and have a good time. They were going to clean up the bunk house and when we got back it would be ready to go--so my brother-in-law dropped off his stuff and we went to the river only to come back to having his stuff thrown away---WHAT--you said drop your stuff off go have fun and in a little bit your room will be clean--NO HIS STUFF WAS GATHERED TOGETHER AND THROWN IN A DUMPSTER--AFTER REPORTING THIS TO THE POLICE THEY WERE ABLE TO RETRIEVE EVERYTING BUT HIS WALLET CONTAINING MONEY , DEBIT CARD AND CREDIT CARDS----YOU THIEFS!!!!!! We have stayed before with minimal problems but this was the icing on the cake. DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!!!!!HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE PLACE AND THAT IS PUTTING IT AS NICE AS I CAN!!!!! Also as an added note, the smoke alarms were not even connected, the wires where hanging out the walls and not even connected--My husband as a fire chief was ready to turn them into the inspectors that take care of that and I'm sure he will

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank jenntim6

Travellers are raving about these Steelville hotels

Reviewed 18 September 2013

Dirty, no A/c (when told about it they said WE could leave WITHOUT our $1700), food was old and cold. The float was great the bus driver was great! Service and staff was rude and not accommodating for the amount of money spent for our fun weekend away.

• Stayed September 2013
6 Thank Birdx3
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 9 September 2013

The picture looked great and they offered a breakfast and dinner. The cabin was so dirty. Spider webs everywhere. The refrigerator did not work well so our stuff was not cold. The air condition did not work. The light in the main room went out Sat. night when nobody was there. Outside the cabin it had never been swept of cleaned. They had no light that worked near the hot tub.

The people were so rude when I went to talk to them about the issues. It was a large rip off.

The float was great and the bus driver was really nice to us. All the float people were great.

We went to make coffee and an old filter with mold was all over the inside. The tolet seat was broken and the bathroom door did not lock either.

DON'T GO THERE!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank lisa r
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We rented the "Brown Cottage" for a 2 night stay. The pictures they had emailed looked very nice, and the picture they sent of the river view taken from the deck was just beautiful, and was what sold us on it being a great place for a weekend getaway.

As it turned out, that awesome river view was not so awesome, because it was the float trip drop off and as such it was full of rafts and canoes and kayaks and life jackets, and there was also a camper set up directly in front of us. That was a little disappointing, to say the least, but not enough to ruin the weekend or anything.

The cabin, however, was awful, truly awful. Every single drawer and door we opened revealed a ridiculous amount of mouse feces. Every.Single.Drawer! Ugh. Every light switched on revealed huge roaches scurrying in every direction, including down into the huge floor vent in the middle of the living room. The ceiling fan lights were full of swarming and crawling bugs, including some very large ones on the blades, so we didn't dare turn on the fans. There were gaping holes in the floors and walls.

I had taken along a jug of indoor pesticide that had a hose and spray nozzle attached (as an afterthought) as we were packing up the tent for the tent campers in our party. As soon as we got into the cabin and saw the holes and bugs everywhere we sprayed the bug spray around the perimeters of the rooms, and soaked paper towels and "plugged" the holes. That was Friday evening. Saturday evening showed no improvement whatsoever - roaches were still scurrying all over the place. UGH.

We were literally arguing over who "got" to sleep in the tents. NONE of us wanted to sleep in that awful cabin. The only good thing about the cabin was the vinyl mattress covers, which were intact and clean looking, and the air conditioning worked. I didn't dare peak at the mattresses but the foundations that they were sitting on literally looked like they'd been plucked out of trash dumpsters. They were horribly stained - just nasty! We were very thankful we had our own bedding to sleep in, at least.

There was a king mattress on the floor in the front bedroom, and two ?full? sized mattresses in the back bedroom (on the floor, butted up against each other, and they took up the entire room so the bedroom door couldn't be closed.) There was also a king mattress on the floor in the corner in the dining room area. Really? What in the world was that about? No clue. The cabin had a max capacity of 6 people and there were mattresses to accommodate 8, in addition to the futon. My best guess was that the one in the dining room was a recent acquisition from a trash dumpster. The glass top coffee table in the pictures didn't exist. The pieces of the table base were shoved into the dining room corner, though, against that lovely king size mattress. LOL. It's been long enough now it's almost becoming funny - but it sure wasn't funny at the time!

We dropped almost a thousand dollars for the two nights' "accommodations" and a one day float, and it really was by far the nastiest place I have ever stayed. It is really a shame, because the location was great and the cabin definitely had potential but it needs a lot of work, some deep cleaning, and an Exterminator!

There are much, much better options in that area. Oh, and we bought the nephews each a t-shirt on our way out when we stopped to drop off the key, and the young girl working the register quoted us a higher price than what the sign indicated, and then she turned around and overcharged us over and above the inflated price she'd quoted!

Our advice is to avoid this place like the plague...In fact, I still shudder just thinking about it!

Room Tip: Look elsewhere if you're searching for a cabin.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank landlocked1
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Went to spend the weekend with a large group that uses the site annually. I am not a camper so we booked a cabin (B1) for the weekend.The porch was covered with leftover food crumbs and grease. The cabin did have a flushing toilet and working window air conditioner but the carpet was filthy, stained and damp and the baseboard heat was on when we checked in, it took us about an hour to figure out why the cabin wasn't cooling down. The bed had sprung springs and was extremely uncomfortable. The float was one of the best I have been on, absolutely incredible! The floating staff and bus driver were polite, humorous and efficient.
The worst part of the trip was the lack of hot water when we returned from our float Saturday evening. Our cabin neighbors had hot water earlier and we assumed that we just needed to wait for the hot water heater to heat up. By the time we figured out the water wasn't going to get warm the lodge office was closed. We woke early on Sunday to try to bathe but the water was still ice cold. When checking out the staff was indifferent to our complaints and said that we should have just showered in the camp bathhouses. I attempted to explain that the reason we reserved cabin accommodations was to have the amenities listed, the clerk just shrugged her shoulders. Wonderful float, breathtaking part of the river, with a great group of friends but I wouldn't recommend renting a cabin.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Melsie S
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Let me be clear, this is not a resort and spa. Not a honeymoon location, and not a place for a nice romantic weekend - it is camping - roughing it. We went on a family float trip with some staying in cabins and some camping. This is an old resort, built in the 1920's. The Roost appears to be the best of their cabins on the property; it is a step up from a tent but only because it has A/C and a bathroom. If you want wilderness lodging and not stay in an RV or tent then the cabins are possibly a step up.

The Roost has A/C,claims to sleep ten, but there are only beds for eight comfortably (I use that term loosely; two of our ten slept on the 2 couches); and it has a bathroom. There are some basic kitchen appliances (small stove, coffee maker, and fridge). The cabin is dirty, inside and out and stinks. We brought along some basic cleaning stuff to wipe down the table, and counter, beds, etc. and some air freshener spray. The A/C and fridge was cold and the plumbing worked - that is about it.

In the Roost you have a great view of the river and campground below from the wrap around porch. The hot tub is okay, it is clean but not real hot, and no privacy.

Some of our family camped and had a river front site. They didn't have too many complaints about the site. We used the campsite to access the river and hang out in the river on the day before the float. Our family said the campground rest rooms and bath houses were NASTY; the worst they have seen, bodily fluids (of all types) on the floor.

If you choose to stay here, don't take the meal plan, it is not worth it. The breakfast flavor is ok; however, they serve you on the "buffet" and cheat you on the portions, a half a spoon full of food and one trip through only. The dinner is a repeat of breakfast, just different food choices - half a spoon full.

The float trip went well, no issue and a lot of fun but you can get this at any of the river float groups on the river. Our bus driver was nice and fun! They bus you to the start location and your float back down to the campground which was nice. Float staff are very nice.

This could be a great place if management spent some time taking care of it. Great view of the river and a lot of potential. A garden hose spraying down the outsides of the buildings would do wonders. They need to get rid of their old junk from around the lodge. There are no trash cans around so people just leave their trash around until the end of the weekend, I guess, trash piled up in areas.

If you don't have high expectations then take a chance. We didn't feel like it was worth the money - we won't be staying again!

Room Tip: Somewhere else!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Irishrover1019
Also consider these accommodations in or near Steelville
Days Inn & Suites Cuba
#1 of 1 in Saint James
Super 8 Cuba
Super 8 Cuba
#1 of 4 in Cuba

Been to Bird's Nest Lodge and River Resort? Share your experiences!