Bird's Nest Lodge and River Resort
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Steelville
Bird's Nest Lodge and River Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Steelville
St. Louis, MO
“OMG”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2009

The campsites are so narrow you are sitting on top of each other. This is tough when the 10 men camped next to you play loud music and Karaoke until 2:00 AM and vomit loudly between 4:00 and 6:00 AM. The 11:00PM to 6:00AM quiet hours are not enforced. The office closes at 10:00 PM; calls after that time go nowhere. The second night we were wiser and called before 10:00 PM. The call still went to the answering machine so we left a message asking them to please police the offender's campsite at 11:00 PM. No one bothered to to so. Apparently our only recourse was to call the Crawford County Sheriff. The river is beautiful; it is a fine place to stay if you DO NOT bring your children and you like your neighbor's choice of music and profanity. It is also a plus if you don't require sleep. P.S. my neighbors were not the only party animals; there is no way to get away from the noise. The restroom/shower facilities are sorely lacking considering the number of people this campground owner thinks this operation can support. (Those circled numbers on the map indicate the number of people allowed on the campsite.) My advice is - stick to the state parks.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank jagervin

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2008

We rented the Roost Cabin sometime last fall when we were in the planning stages of our vacation for the summer. Upon arrival the staff was extremely friendly. We got our keys for our cabin which was very clean inside. The hot tub was excellent. We got to enjoy the hot tub and hang out on the deck till around 2 am then finally caught some sleep for our float trip the next morning.

We woke up and ate a wonderful breakfast at the lodge. Our float was the 10am float for the 6mile run. I highly recommend doing a 3 mile or if you wish to be out that long to do the 6. We put into the water around 10am and got out around 5 pm. the water was great and the float trip was allot of fun. now mind you we didnt even stop at any of the party coves or sand bars like allot of people did.. it just took too long LOL...

We have already rented the Roost again next year for our vacation and this time we are doing the 3 mile.. upon getting back to the cabin we got cleaned up and ready for dinner. now keep in mind that our group was 8 adults. we were expecting to run out of hot water rather quickly and somehow never did. Huge Kudos on the hot water as it kept up with 8 adults taking showers back to back. we then enjoyed a great dinner of ribs and potatoes and corn on the cob.

we then enjoyed the rest of the evening at the cabin again in the hot tub and playing cards on the deck at the table we then got up sunday morning and once again enjoyed a wonderful breakfast.

The only things that we recommended to the staff was that they trim some of the trees off the deck as they were blocking the view of the river and they really need to put some steps on the hot tub as it makes it hard to get in and out of. Other then those little things we had an absolutely wonderful time,, i highly recommend it to everyone who is looking to enjoy an ADULT weekend, I do not recommend bringing kids though as the crowd in the campgrounds gets pretty rowdy at night especially friday before the saturday float. I personally have 4 kids and am very glad that we did not bring them as they would have heard allot of things that we dont wish our kids to hear. They should designate one or two weekends a month as FAMILY weekends for those that do wish to bring younger kids.

• Liked — Has to be the hot tub on the deck was most enjoyable as well as the central air in the cabin made it a very nice weekend, if we got too hot we simply went inside and talked !!
  • Disliked — Would have been nice to be able to see the river a little better thats why we recommended they trim the trees back so you can see it from the deck and hot tub.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank lord_viper
US
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2008

let's break it down

do you like to hear the car stereos of other campers thumping to the wee hours...

do you like watching the drunk frat boys come over to the side of your cabin and vomit prolifically after hours of binge drinking shouting and climbing on the roof... (and mind you their cabin was right in front of the office, so you know the owners really try to make it a fun place!)

the rancid odor of a bathroom that hasn't been cleaned in at least a year, and can be smelled from a couple hundred feet away... (really, you could smell it from the river bank)

then brother, the Bird's Nest Lodge is for you

the ambiance of dilapidated cabins, that really should have been torn down, but in a surge of redneck ingenuity they just hammered some new siding up, screwed a new tin roof on, and viola! it's just like new... except the mold, the smell, the crumbling particle board, the cracked foundation...
but hey, that just adds to the experience!

double awnings are in vogue at the Bird's Nest... Hey bob, we put some new tin on the roof of the cabin, and we added an awning... what do you think... What... take the old awning down... naw, we'll just paint it to match the cabin, no one will notice

a 4 person cabin has a concrete slab poured in the middle of the living room and has a mattress thrown on it... and presto, it's a 6 person cabin!

all this for only $90+ dollars a night

whoo hoo

things I learned at the Bird's Next Lodge

1. it's historic... says so right there on the sign.
2. good customer service demands that when a patron tells you about the drunken, loud, abnoxious party right next door, you respond "Oh, yeah, they were drunk when they got here...."
3. a refrigerator that has a fan that's not working can be fixed by cleaning the coils with compressed air
4. a cabin can be advertised as having air conditioning, even if the air conditioner doesn't work... I mean, it's not like they advertised it had Functioning Air Conditioning
5. $50 is a magic number at the Bird's Nest Lodge.
6. sometimes, checkout time cannot come soon enough...

The place is a dump, avoid like the plague

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008
3 Thank teemonsta
Missouri
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2008

We made reservations for the Robin room for a 3 day trip. We were able to get the room we reserved unlike the previous reviewer but our experience was much the same beyond that. We arrived mid afternoon in the middle of August and the AC was not turned on in the cabin, so it was about 95 degrees when we showed up. Neither the AC unit in the Bedroom or the refrigerator worked. We let the ac and the fridge run for the first night in hopes that they would start to get cold. We got up the next morning and the bedroom ac still did not blow cold air and the fridge was full of warm beer and spoiling lunchmeat.

I went to the lodge to ask they send maintenance by to fix our non working appliances. A while later a man shows up with a can of air and pocked around behind the fridge and in the ac unit for a few minute and finally said he had an emergency he had to tend to and would be back later. The fridge never was fixed , the ac never blew cold air and the maintenance guy never came back by or even asked when I was in the lodge if we had, had any further problems.

So we lived with the non working fridge for another half day until I couldn’t take it the frustration anymore and physically beat on the motor with my hulk like fists until it began to blow cold air. Other miscellaneous things we did not like were the bogus charges for things that should be included with resort/motels like trash pickup. They told us they don’t do that and we don’t take our own trash now to a common dump area we will get charged $50. Lose the key its $50. Lose your float trip receipt you do not get to go even though your record was logged into a computer when we checked in.

The cabin next to us was full of 10-15 people from 20-30 yr olds beer bonging and climbing on the roof our cabin and theirs, peeing on and throwing up on the back of the cabin where our deck was located. When we mentioned at the lodge to the staff about what was taking place at our neighbors cabin they seemed uninterested and literally said “Ya they were drunk when they showed up this morning.“

So that’s the meat of our experience with the Birds nest lodge. I don’t recommend going there and I definitely will not be going back.

• Liked — It was close to the river
  • Disliked — The Staff and the accomodations
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank jrworley
St. Louis MO
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2008

I made my reservation for "The Roost" cabin over a week before check-in date. This is my family's first trip "camping" and I spent over a week checking out several lodges in the Missouri area. We choose Bird's Nest because the grounds looked so beautiful and we loved the fact that the cabins had hot tubs! We specifically picked The Roost because we read that it overlooked the river.. Something that was very appealing to me.

When we checked in, a woman named Crystal explained that they had given The Roost to another family (even though we reserved this cabin with our credit card over a week prior).
Crystal said she would put us in another cabin called The Eagles Nest. Though I was upset that we didn't get the room that had the view that we wanted, I did not complain.. I told her that was fine as long as there was a hot tub.

When we first stepped inside the Eagles Nest, we noticed that there were empty beer bottles throughout the cabin. I had to fix a bottle for my infant son and the water was not working. We walked outside to check out the hot tub and it was almost empty with only a little bit of filthy water around the bottom of the tub. The deck was covered with beer bottles and cups with cigarette butts inside.

I walked down to speak to Crystal about the hot tub and that there was no water in our cabin, and honestly.. she was very rude. Crystal acted like it was no big deal. I explained to Crystal that I needed water for my baby to drink his formula with and that my older son had to use the bathroom (toilet did not flush). I told her that the whole reason we chose Bird's Nest was because my husband and I were looking forward to the hot tub. Crystal kept saying there was nothing she could do. I was upset at this point because I was paying $35 per person (I had 6 people in my party) when I did not get the cabin I wanted and no hot tub.. I could have had the same thing with the other, more inexpensive cabins and saved quite a bit of money!

A man walked in and overheard our conversation. He said he was the owner's brother-in-law and he would fix the situation. If it wasn't for the kind and caring brother-in-law... our family would have checked out right there. the brother-in-law went up to our cabin and worked on the hot tub for quite some time. I decided to take our kids to the river for a few hours. When we came back to the cabin, The hot-tub was clean and running. The hot tub water was ice cold, so I went back down to the office to see if there was a button we had to push to make the water warm. Another woman was working the desk this time, she said it was because the water was spring water, it would take a couple hours to heat up. Our family waited and waited, the hot tub never warmed up.. It was ICE COLD! We had tried adjusting the temp on the dial but nothing ever fixed the problem.

The next morning when we checked out, I politley explained to Crystal that I was upset that we had paid for a cabin with the hot tub and we were not given what we paid for. I told her that we should have just rented a cheaper cabin because it would have been the same experience. Crystal just said sorry and went to help another family that was checking in.

So, I guess what I am trying to say is that we had paid quite a bit of money for something we did not get. We did not get the cabin that we really wanted, we went half the day without running water, and we didn't get a working hot-tub (which was the main reason we picked bird's nest in the first place). Crystal was very rude to us and made us feel as if our problems did not concern her.

The fact that we were never offered a discount or a partial refund told me that this place was not worried about customer satisfaction. I emailed the owner.. I hope that he corrects the problem so that no other family will have to deal with this.

• Liked — Being so close to nature
  • Disliked — The service and the fact that we didn't get what we paid for!
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
5 Thank Jennamom

Been to Bird's Nest Lodge and River Resort? Share your experiences!