“Family Fun Like the Good Old Days!”
Review of Cobblestone Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Steelville
Cobblestone Lodge
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I can’t imagine a better family vacation than Cobblestone Lodge. Whether you want to stay busy all the time, do some serious relaxing, or a combination of the two, Cobblestone is a great place to recharge the batteries. The floats are great, the primary reasons to visit. This section of the Meramec, although very gentle, still provides many places for swimming, paddling, or just letting the river pull you along. We have seen many deer, wild turkeys, otters, eagles and blue herons as well as some tamer wildlife like mud turtles, squirrels and lots of bass, trout and bluegill along this stretch of the river. Whether you’re in a canoe, raft or inner tube, you’ll find it a wonderful way to spend the afternoon. And the Meramec seems to be cleaner every year, thanks to the efforts of the MDC, the outfitters, and the floaters themselves.

If you’re not on the river, the pool is the place to be during the day. Plenty of room for the kids to have fun and the patio is large enough to let you sit in a quiet corner and enjoy a book or a nap (if you don’t mind the occasional cry of “Marco” followed by the inevitable “Polo!” Many games of Scrabble, Rummy, and Zilch have been interrupted because someone had to “cool off in the pool.” And if you’ve overdone it, the hot tub is just the thing for those sore muscles.

The morning tournaments give you a chance to give in to your competitive side. But it’s usually better to be lucky than good. Speaking of luck, if you’re lucky enough to get a rainy day, they move the tournament indoors and you play a game called “Tippo toss” which is unlike any you’ve ever seen. Imagine a cross between jacks and lawn darts, played indoors. It’s guaranteed to make you laugh out loud.

The evenings are filled with activities, too. From the volleyball game right after dinner to the dancing and games, you get a chance to interact with people you didn’t know on Sunday. By Monday you’re trying to figure out who your common friends are, and by Saturday night you are sending Facebook friend requests. And if you like to stay up late, the gazebo has seen many late night games of Trivial Pursuit and various card games.

The cabins are rustic, but clean. It’s a comfortable place to shower and sleep. But you’ll find you are rarely in your cabin anyway. So you won’t have time to notice the light dims when the A/C kicks in. It is a rural area, after all.

Finally, there’s the food. It would never be confused with Tony’s in St. Louis, but it’s still very good. The kind of “comfort food” we grew up on, like fried chicken, roast beef, mashed potatoes & gravy. And a good breakfast to kick off the day. Always plenty to eat and served family style so you’ll feel like you went back in time just having the whole family sit down together three times a day. It’s one of the best parts of the visit.

And “visit” is an accurate description. For you not only come to enjoy the place but also the people, from the other guests to the wait staff, and especially the Layton’s themselves. They truly make you “feel at home.” Several times I have asked my three kids if they wanted to try something new for vacation, and they always said “No! We have to go back to Cobblestone!” My daughters brought their boyfriends (one is now a son-in-law) and my son has brought his girlfriend and they can’t wait to go back. My grandson is now part of the family fun, and he is the fourth generation of the family to visit Cobblestone.

Jim Rudy Family
Fairview Heights, IL
Cobblestone guests every year since 1989.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
10  Thank Jim R

Reviewed 27 December 2013

My kids love all the freedom to roam to playgrounds, play houses, etc. with little supervision. We all enjoy the planned activities for the whole family like hayrides, hot dog roasts, and square dancing. Lots of fun for the whole family.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Lynn H
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Every year has been another fun filled time with family and friends at Cobblestone Lodge. Each year we are blessed to vacation at Cobblestone and always seem to make new friends and do new things, as well as enjoying the traditional activities and float trips. The food is fantastic and we always manage to gain a pound or two. The staff go out of their way to make your stay relaxing and complete, providing a personal touch. There is something for everyone to do, weather it be an indoor or outdoor activity. As we get older our children aspire to carry on the tradition of vacationing at Cobblestone. Being family owned allows a feeling of returning home each time you return, they go above and beyond each and every time and are a great family.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Tammie S
Reviewed 26 August 2013

One of our friends found out about Cobblestone just a month ago and she asked if we all would like to go. Our group of friends (older adults I'll just say) decided to go for the float trip and river fun. We were PLEASANTLY surprised at how much fun and relaxing the week-end was. It is the coolest old rustic cabin place.Very child oriented for sure but us old kids had a blast too! There were basically NO children on the property this particular week-end due to a huge group cancelling their plans. So it was basically just our group of 12-14. The food was FABULOUS and the service was great!! We had fun with all the games, relaxed in the pool. Went on a couple of float trips, danced the night away in the lodge at night. I'm going to bring my family down next year and I'm sure many years to come. Even though the kids are way in there 20's- it's a fun loving place to be. Thank you to everyone at Cobblestone Lodge for your great hospitality and I'm sure we'll be seeing you again.
Mike & Sheri

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sharamie
Reviewed 18 August 2013

My wife and I were trying to think of someplace fun to go with our 8 year old. We had been to Cobblestone several years ago and remembered that it was fun back then. We called and they had availability. We arrived around 11:30, ate lunch and went on a 2 hour float trip. There were activities planned all day and well into the evening. Checkout is after breakfast. Our 8 year old was very entertained. All the guests were fun and we all knew each other within a matter of minutes. I think this was partially because of the fun personalities, but also because of the planned group activities. However, if you did not want to participate in the activities, there was no pressure to do so. One could just as easily get a book and read on the porch of the lodge. Wifi is available in the main lodge, but I could not get wifi in the cabin. The cabins are rustic and probably could use some updates, however they were very clean. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The meals are included in the price and were very good. We did not leave hungry. There is a heated pool on site, but we were not there long enough to use it. However it looked very clean, and I saw staff cleaning it in the morning. We would definitely return and hopefully book a family reunion next year. I wish there were a 6 star rating because I believe this is one of the few places I've been that deserve it. Thanks and hope to be back soon !!

Room Tip: All rooms are cabins and close to the main lodge
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Curtis053
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Our grandkids love Cobblestone & start talking about the upcoming summer visit in October. I think they would fore go their Christmas presents in order to go to Cobblestone. We like the safety & layout as the activities are on the same side of the road with the cabins on the other side, which was great when we started out with children ages 2 to 12. We love the family atmosphere & the many activities available. Of course, the float trips are the highlight of the day. We've spent 11 summers at Cobblestone & is something the entire family looks forward to each year!

Room Tip: I always bring extra bath towels are the girls like to use 2 when they shower.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Lynette S
Reviewed 31 July 2013

I and my wife and my 2 boys have been going to Cobblestone Lodge every summer for a 1 week vacation with the exception of 2 summers since 1977. My 2 boys literally grew up there and now they take their wives and we all go down every year. There are a ton of activities to do all day long or you can go down by the pool or float on the river with a beer if that is your bag. Over the many years that we have been going, we have made many life long friends that we see there every year. I said it is a vacation, and here is what I meant. We made the mistake of taking our 2 boys to Daytona Beach 1 summer a long time ago. Two kids trapped in a car for hours and hours drives you nuts, and when you get there, you spend 95% of your time trying to keep them entertained. It was no vacation at all!! Down at Cobblestone, the kids met other kids in 10 minutes after you get there and voila, they are taken care of for the whole week. When you arrive on Sunday afternoon, you pretty well know everyone by Monday night, and everyone kind of keeps an eye on the kids. In all of the years that we have been going, I can't ever remember a kid that didn't have fun. In all of those same years, for every one family that left early because they didn't like it, there were 100's that wished they had sighned up for a week instead of just a weekend. For my wife, it really was a vacation. No meals to fix and no dishes to wash. The food is really good country cooking, and this last year, I believe it was the best we have ever had. Do yourself a favor and come on down and join us. You won't regret your decision. E and S Harrisburg, Illinois

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank EGandSG

Been to Cobblestone Lodge? Share your experiences!